Need input on winter rubber

TTQ B4U

With the MS3 having Summer only on it now, I'll be in the market.

What good insight does everyone have on the brand / wheels, etc...

Looking to go with 215/50-17

on either 17x7 or 17x7.5 Wheels but not steelies.

Several choices seem to be:

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

blizzaks. i had them...f'n great in snow. slipped on some black ice (which i dont know of any tire that will help that) went into a ditch, and with the snow and other crap in the ditch, i was able to drive out of it with those tires.

the Blizzak is the gold standard of winter tires. Most people think the damn things will drive you right up a mountain.

That being said, in Ohio I don't really see you being overly unhappy with any of the tires you listed. I've used an older version of the Michelin Alpin tires in the past on my M3 and was very happy with them.

Since this in Ohio afterall I'd look at the reviews/ratings of the tires and go with the one that has the best ice/slush traction.

I assume you're looking for a tire that goes well in the little snow we do have but doesn't make you cry every time you have to drive your car in the winter without snow?

Look at the "winter high performance" class, which you kind of seem to be doing.

Draco and I drove a lot this winter together in different areas, everything from dry tarmac, to wet tarmac, to gravel, to frozen gravel, to frozen mud, to partially frozen mud, to straight up ice, to wet snow, to dry snow. The interesting part is that we had different tires from the Winter Hi-Po class. He had the new Dunlop Wintersport 3D's and I had the Hankook Icebear W300s in the V-rating (that's actually important in this case). I have to say that you can't go wrong with either tire. The 3D definitely had the edge in the snow. The Icebears definitely had the edge on cold, dry tarmac and gravel. In fact, I was shocked at how close to my UHP summer tires the Icebears were on dry tarmac.

In central Ohio, I'd go for the Icebears as they have a little extra on tarmac, which is what you get most of around here. If you lived in southeastern Ohio, where you get more snow and it never gets plowed, I'd get the Wintersport 3Ds because of their extra edge in snow.

Love my Blizzak WS-50's. Had no issues at all in March when we had the big snow and was able to keep the car well under control when the freeways hadn't been plowed. The car doesn't look the best with my steel wheel setup, but as long as it keeps me out of the ditch, I could care less. And at $100 for the set (including wheels) I couldn't pass it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/Maxima/DSCN4930.jpg

Looks like the newer version, BridgestoneBlizzak WS-60's are what I may be going with. They by far are pulling down the best ratings. Thanks everyone!

Love my Blizzak WS-50's. Had no issues at all in March when we had the big snow and was able to keep the car well under control when the freeways hadn't been plowed. The car doesn't look the best with my steel wheel setup, but as long as it keeps me out of the ditch, I could care less. And at $100 for the set (including wheels) I couldn't pass it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/Maxima/DSCN4930.jpg