Mediocrity strikes a blow against Common Sense

Draco-REX

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8488564/9-year-old-barred-for-pitching-too-well?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Yay for whiners and people who can't handle someone being better than them at something..

This really burns me. I'm sick of this opinion going around that if you're better than average at something you should be ashamed of it. THIS is where a national sports organization should be ready to step in and slap some people around. Too bad such an organization would be too busy doing just this sort of thing in the misguided concept that mediocrity makes good sports....

I was reading in one of the articles that the kid was invited to join the team that won the league championship the year before, he declined and went with another team. Apparently the owner of the sponsor of the championship team is also on the league committee or whatever.

So basically its a case of butthurt and they are portraying this kids talent as a danger to the other kids.

This is a good reason we have a bunch of pansy kids and adults. I was going to sign my boy up in soccer this year until I found out the league is one that does not keep score. It is one of these "everybody wins" groups.

In life you cant win every time.

This is a good reason we have a bunch of pansy kids and adults. I was going to sign my boy up in soccer this year until I found out the league is one that does not keep score. It is one of these "everybody wins" groups.

In life you cant win every time.

Haha yeah my little brother plays in one of those leagues. Him and his teammates still keep score. I think they forget that 8 year olds still know how to count.

lol, i live in pickerington, there is no such thing as no score. growing up i we didnt give a shit if the score was 40 -0, we were running that score up and showing that shit. "no one complained, you just got put in the cage and not fed for a week if you lost."

quoted from mike vick

lol, i live in pickerington, there is no such thing as no score. growing up i we didnt give a shit if the score was 40 -0, we were running that score up and showing that shit. "no one complained, you just got put in the cage and not fed for a week if you lost."

quoted from mike vick

No doubt when I played Baseball back in highschool it was our goal to try and run the score up. It created competition and rivalries. Plus you could be the next time you played that time they were gonna play a whole hell of a lot better so they didnt get embarrassed again.

I am pretty sure before high school baseball there was a 15 run rule tho. If the opposing team did not get within 15 runs after 1 inning they would call the game.

No doubt when I played Baseball back in highschool it was our goal to try and run the score up. It created competition and rivalries. Plus you could be the next time you played that time they were gonna play a whole hell of a lot better so they didnt get embarrassed again.

I am pretty sure before high school baseball there was a 15 run rule tho. If the opposing team did not get within 15 runs after 1 inning they would call the game.

my favorite were football games. in junior high up our coaches would talk about leaving no doubt who the better players were. lol our scores would be like 56-7, 40-0, 42-3. lol i think the closest game we had was like 28-0.

I couldn't play football when I was little because I was too big. Too big for football........I wasn't even fat. Stupid shit if you ask me. Now I am 6'6" and 300lbs.

I know its not the same, but a similar concept.

I couldn't play football when I was little because I was too big. Too big for football........I wasn't even fat. Stupid shit if you ask me. Now I am 6'6" and 300lbs.

I know its not the same, but a similar concept.

i played because guys like you scared me :cool:

thats why i play racquetball now

quoted from mike vick

Yeah, where I came from we beat Pickerington 90-0 in Rugby. 100 would've gotten us a keg :(.

last part of the article says

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

wtf? they said they would move him up to a better leauge. whats the problem with that?

last part of the article says

wtf? they said they would move him up to a better leauge. whats the problem with that?

Not enough information.

Do these better leagues play in the same fields?

If not, can the parent get him to the fields they do play?

If there is a fee to play, can they afford it?

Can he join that league this far into the season; or will he be stuck not playing for the rest of the year?

Will he really be able to compete in the better league with his 40mph fastball, or would that be too slow?

Really it's like being bumped out of your class because you're too good a driver. What's wrong with driving in a Modified class if your car is supposed to be in a street class? Plenty. If this were an adult league, he'd be cheered for excelling. Instead, he's being penalized and basicly taught that you shouldn't try to be better. They're telling him that he should be Average and that it's WRONG to try and improve himself.

i don't know about your league rules where you live. But here in mount vernon, my best friend and i were asked to move up to 10 to 12 year old little league teams because we pitched fast enough. If anything i would have been pissed that my friend on another 9,10 year old team was asked to move up and not me. I took it as a compliment, league looked at it as a way to help a stinky team in the little league bracket that was 0-12 with next to no pitching staff add a few pitchers to the team.