Buying an out of state car?

Unleashed

I'm flying out to Washington DC this weekend to buy a car. What do I need to to get from the seller to register it here in Ohio. I've searched both the Ohio BMV and Clerk of Courts websites, and neither have a well documented clear process of what exactly is needed.

I'm sure several of you have bought a car out of state. What will I need, and what all needs signed before a notary?

I don't want to have to travel back to Washington if I don't have all the needed forms.

So far from what I gathered I will need:

1) the out of state title

2) maybe somekind of odometer statement? not on the back of the title?

3) bill of sale, I thought someimes the selling price was actually written on the title?

4) a vehicle inspection when I get back to register it

If you've been down this road, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The signed title, and it must be notorized. If there is no space for it to be notorized, then the signed title, and a notorized bill of sale. You can type this bill of sale up yourself, just make sure it includes the VIN.

Vehicle Inspection when you get back. Which takes about 2 seconds to verify the VIN on the car matches the VIN on the title.

Thanks guys, I thought it was going to be much more difficult then that. :cool:

Good deal. Sounds like the only thing that needs notorized is the title. In your cases was there a spot on the title to write down the odometer reading? or did you need to fill out additional paperwork? I keep reading about some kind of federal odometer statement (for cars less then 10 years old) in addtion to an Ohio odometer statement.

I keep reading about some kind of federal odometer statement (for cars less then 10 years old) in addtion to an Ohio odometer statement.

Never heard of it.

If you plan on driving the car back, you should pick up temp tags before you leave.

I took my bill of sale to the bmv lady walked outside and verified that the vin on the car matched my bill of sale 20 minutes later I had a title in my name and tags its really easy no special inspections or anything

I would drive the car to one of those one stop places that has the title office and the deputy registrar all in one building

Never heard of it.

If you plan on driving the car back, you should pick up temp tags before you leave.

I'm driving it back, but dosen't the car need to be registered in order to get temp tags? If not, I'll go pick them up tomorrow.

BTW - here are links that are confusing me (odometer forms):

Federal odometer statement

State odometer statement

I took my bill of sale to the bmv lady walked outside and verified that the vin on the car matched my bill of sale 20 minutes later I had a title in my name and tags its really easy no special inspections or anything

I would drive the car to one of those one stop places that has the title office and the deputy registrar all in one building

I plan on taking it to Alum Creek as they seem to be a one stop shop.

I did not even need a notorized, I went to the bmv with the guy signed over papers, payed the free for 10 day out of state temp tag which was like 7 bucks in NC drove the car back to ohio, you have so long to register the car in ohio, took it to nelson's they did it for 5 bucks, took it to the bmv in ohio them bam tags, and good to go.

I'm driving it back, but dosen't the car need to be registered in order to get temp tags? If not, I'll go pick them up tomorrow.

BTW - here are links that are confusing me (odometer forms):

Federal odometer statement

State odometer statement

you can get out of state temp tags, thats how other states get there hands in on some of the money. they are 10 day temp tags thats how long you have till you have to register the car in ohio.

Some states require their titles to be notorized and some don't. It will say on the title. Just make sure it's notorized before you leave if it needs to be, or else you'll be sending the title back for notorization. If it's from a private seller you don't need a bill of sale either, only if it's from a dealership. The only other thing you need is an inspection (they go look at the VIN and make sure they match). It's really very easy, I've bought 3 cars in the past year from out of state. Also, check with the state you're buying the car in about temp tags, some states don't even have them, and they vary in length in the states that do. I got one last summer in Illinois that was for either 5 or 7 days. As for getting temp tags before you go, I'm pretty sure Ohio won't issue a temp tag unless you have a title or bill of sale.

Thanks for all the help guys.

The Maryland BMV will be closed by the time I get there on Saturday. So hopefully I don't get in any trouble for using the plates off my Mustang to get it back home. I tried to get a temp tag from the Ohio BMV today and as expected I can't until it's titled. There recommendation was to just not get pulled over.....

Can't wait. :burn:

i bought a car from new york city last year, the bmv only needed a signed title, did not need need notorization, they will inspect the car (check the vin and odometer)

I was told when getting my stuff situated that brining a car from any state only needed a signed title, no need for notorizing . . . i found that out when i got back here. I drove around new york for a couple hours with the guy selling the car to find a damn notory i didnt need :(

as for driving it back, i used my plates of my other car and obeyed all the traffic laws.

i just did this a couple months ago and i drove a car back all the way from oklahoma with the previous owners plates on it no problem at all. All you need is the title. i thought you needed a bill of sale, but deleware told me they dont need it just signed over title then they go out and make sure all the lights work ok and it has a rear view mirror. its really that simple.

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly do you trade cars?

I am meeting up with someone from Pennsylvania, he is coming to Ohio, and if we decide we want to trade, do we have to have our titles notorized beforehand, sign them, trade them, then go to the BMV when we get back to our hometowns? I'm a little confused, help me out here