speeding ticket/points on license questions

Exploder95

So I got a ticket today on I-70 for going 80. The cop mentioned that this ticket adds up to 10 points...but the only way this is accurate is if the points that I got from the two tickets when I was under 18 are still on my license. Do the points get cleared at 18? I thought at first they did but now I'm thinking they must not...

help?

Oh, also, is it common knowledge that if you are driving on the freeway and you see a cop (obviously after he saw you) actually walk ONTO the freeway and point threateningly(sp?) at you two or three times that you are supposed to immediately swerve through 3 lanes of road and screech to a stop as soon as you see the cop doing this? Because I calmly got to the right lane (using turn signals appropriately of course...) and pulled onto the shoulder, and the guy told me I could have been arrested for not pulling over after he "signaled me to do so." :(

dude he is a asshole. dont worry most of them are. your not in trouble for that now, but anyway your points stay on your license for two years since you got them. so idk when you got your other stuf, but if it was recent then yes they should still be there. and dam 10 points sucks have fun paying that insurance and be sure not to get pulled over again for anything.
  • Confused 1

My first one was in Feb. of 06 so it should have dropped off in Feb. of 08...maybe the man just couldn't count, who knows.

And as for my insurance, it was already rather high...but my parents pay for it so I can focus on paying for school...so I'm hoping to sneak off to college before they realize it has gone through the roof.

Points are a way for entities to track how defiant or reliable you are. The tickets on your record never go away; your records are permanent. When it is necessary to use your driving record, ie insurance, jobs, etc., the company will only search for records during a given time frame. Most check your driving record from 3 years back to present. That is their inquiry...it doesn't mean your record beyond that somehow disappeared.

The gooberment will use points to establish their will. If you get some many points in such a time frame, they will take a given action. I don't know how many you get before Ohio takes your license.

Points are a way for entities to track how defiant or reliable you are. The tickets on your record never go away; your records are permanent. When it is necessary to use your driving record, ie insurance, jobs, etc., the company will only search for records during a given time frame. Most check your driving record from 3 years back to present. That is their inquiry...it doesn't mean your record beyond that somehow disappeared.

The gooberment will use points to establish their will. If you get some many points in such a time frame, they will take a given action. I don't know how many you get before Ohio takes your license.

I see what you are saying. I understand that the tickets never disappear, but two years after the date of each offense the points do? I'm just trying to get everything strait in my head...there's so many rules and stipulations I'm way lost.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

6 months first 12 points, 1 year second 12 points. Don't ask me how I know :whistle:

He may have been trying to scare me, but he definitely said "up to 2 years." Either way...I plan on being extra careful. It helps that I probably won't have a car on campus so there won't be much driving for me...

Think of it like this...

Each ticket carries a certain weight (points). It's not that the point value for the ticket goes away but instead after 2 years, points for previous tickets are no longer added into the formula to determine your count.

Think of it like this...

Each ticket carries a certain weight (points). It's not that the point value for the ticket goes away but instead after 2 years, points for previous tickets are no longer added into the formula to determine your count.

Right, so this is why I was confused when he said to me, "this adds up to 10 points, one more ticket of any kind and you are losing your license."

Here's why:

#1 - Feb. 2006, 79 in 65, 2pts

#2 - Feb. 2007, 79 in 65, 2pts

(Sept. 2007 I turned 18)

#3 - July 2008, 68 in 35, 4pts

#4 - Aug. 2008, 80 in 65, 2pts

So shouldn't the first one not be counted in my formula as of right now?

Who cares, just stop speeding and you wont get anymore tickets:D . I told you that when you got the last one. Didn't your parents ever tell you to do as I say and not as I do.

Hmm...stop speeding...easier said than done. OR I could just invest in a detector and speed carelessly, like you.

Oh yeah, actually my parents did say that to me...but they also told me not to have a boyfriend, and did I listen then?

I did some research and reading, and for me the option to take that class justs gives two "cushion" points, which allows my max to go up to 14 points before an automatic suspension. Plus I think I read to be eligible you have to have no prior offenses for one year or something...not sure exactly. If I can do the class, I might look into it, but then again I won't be driving much at all once I'm back on campus, and they are getting rid of the car and taking me off the insurance after I go back because I'm costing too much money anyways.

I did some research and reading, and for me the option to take that class justs gives two "cushion" points, which allows my max to go up to 14 points before an automatic suspension. Plus I think I read to be eligible you have to have no prior offenses for one year or something...not sure exactly. If I can do the class, I might look into it, but then again I won't be driving much at all once I'm back on campus, and they are getting rid of the car and taking me off the insurance after I go back because I'm costing too much money anyways.

when I was in that class there were several guys in there with suspended license and after that course they got the certificate and headed to the BMV and got their license back to my understanding no points either, I had 6 pts and now I have 2

Hmm...stop speeding...easier said than done. OR I could just invest in a detector and speed carelessly, like you.

Oh yeah, actually my parents did say that to me...but they also told me not to have a boyfriend, and did I listen then?

how is that easier said then done? sit the cruise control on the speedlimit and quit speeding....you have a slow car it should be easy theres people on here that have inupwards of 500hp cars...do you seee them speeding all the time?

Guest tbutera2112
how is that easier said then done? sit the cruise control on the speedlimit and quit speeding....you have a slow car it should be easy theres people on here that have inupwards of 500hp cars...do you seee them speeding all the time?

*peers at anthony*