ford 8.8 guys come in here

kirks5oh

guys, i'm just starting to do some research on building a solid rear for my car, and am compiling a parts list. first, i want to build one from the ground-up, with all-new parts, and will be keeping the IRS just in case.

i'm looking for a rear that can hold big power, maybe 1000hp, who knows--i'd like to build it with plenty of room to spare. it will be mostly a street car, with the occasional trip to the dragstrip. i'd like for the car to be somewhat reasonable going through the twisties, but am not interested in any road racing.

here's the parts list so far:

--'99-'04 mustang GT 8.8 housing, with mustang GT rotors (instead of mach1 rotors, will allow 15" wheels), dust shields, ABS rings, bolts, and lines, brake brackets, cobra pinion flange, exhaust hangers

--motive gear master gear install kit

--moser 31 spline axles with 3" axle studs

--eaton 31 spline traction lock diff. or detroit true trac ?????

--TA rear cover

--welded axle tubes

--ford racing 3.55 gears (not interested in anything steeper)

--maximum motorsports extreme duty adjustable lower control arms

--max. motorsports panhard bar, or uppers??????

--max. motorsports torque arm

--max motorsports rear sway bar

--tokico adjustable shocks and struts?????? any other suggestions??

--torque box reinforcements

--rear coilovers, or just plain springs?????--i've heard bullitt springs work well, if you don't go with coilovers

--c-clip eliminators?????

--catback?????

--9 inch ends??? i have no idea what these are, where they go, or if i need them or not???

--i already have max. motorsports full length subframes installed

everything with a ? mark after it, is an area that i'm not sure about yet. there are tons of bullshit miscellaneous parts that i will be getting from tousley ford (including the 8.8 housing).

what do you guys think?? i'm up for suggestions on anything, as i have plenty of time until i start compiling parts this coming spring.

thanks

--

8.8 will hold up fine till mid to low 8's.

we put 9" axle housing ends on the 8.8 to get rid of the c-clip elimintors(they like to leak with lots of street driving...

that will be more than enough for me. i have no idea what's involved with getting 9" axle ends on my car, but it sounds like a good idea.

unfortunately, i'm probably going to have to rely on a shop to put this all together for me. i'd love to do it myself, but with all the welding, installing the ring gear, and the fact that i just don't have the time here in tampa, i'll have to look into a speed shop.

Guest Removed

there are some great speed shops down there man. welding the axle ends on is something that should be done in a jig. so the rearend is squared correctly and it dont warp when it gets welded. at the same time i would weld the axle tubes to the center section as well to keep them from twisting.

ill see if i can dig up the name of the speed shop i am thinking of...

that and when you put the 9" ends on you can narrow the rear end to fit bigger tire(ie mini tubb in most case's) and to run a better backspace wheel!