Well Water?

hpfiend

Hey guys-

This is probably an obvious no-no but all of the outside spigots of my house are hooked to the well is this a problem for washing a car?.... We have city water but it would involve tying up the kitchen sink and running a hose out the window which the wife would love! In the past I have used those coin op spray setups or my dad's house.

Thanks!

Andrew

It's not a major problem if you can get the whole car dry before the rinse water spots. If you're finding you can't, you can place an in-line filter which remedies the problem: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaning+tools/in-line+water+softener+%26+deionizer+with+fittings.do?search=basic&keyword=37244&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Might want to look into hose-less (not waterless) products for your regular maintenance washes. Optimum No-Rinse and ProectAll quick and Easy Wash are the two leaders in the industry. I use these products to wash my personal cars in the winter.

Basically you use two buckets of water (which you can get from your fresh water source) to wash the car. I prefer using a spray gun with these products to mist the surface of the car prior to washing that particular area. With this method you really have to be a stickler to detail...but it can be a great and safe alternative to what we all know as 'regular" washing.

Here's a video showing how to use the product. Note** he doesn't use a second bucket for rinsing off the wash mit. I prefer the 2 bucket method.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-744800996428313622

That said, if you're in a bind you certainly can wash the car with your well water, just make sure you don't do it in the sun as you'll get water spotting that will be very difficult to remove.

Andy

I have well water. You just have to be really thorough when drying. Basically what I have to do is rainx all the windows after I was the car, just to avoid spots (because I'm nuts about making sure my windows are clean). I haven't noticed any problems with my paint or anything.

wow that griots filter is steep! mr. clean? one and the same?

Thanks for the heads up on optimum no rinse and video- what kind of rag is that furry looking one he applies the op. no rinse with?

I like the idea of the two bucket setup as well-- never knew there was so much I didn't know about washing my car!

I know that at my dad's house, we installed a line and valve to either send softened water to the outside spigots, or bypass it altogether. It should be pretty easy to do, if you'd be interested. The line out to all the spigots should come off right near where the raw water service enters the house in the basement; just T in your new pipe and valve over to a softwater source and turn it over to soft when you want to wash your car.

Just a suggestion that's potentially easier, cheaper and more effective than the solutions already mentioned....depending on how comfortable with plumbing you are.

ZoomZoom- appreciate your insight.... def need some microfiber towels to get it off quickly.

Spankis-Thanks that is good advice and what I was planning on doing if well-water was indeed the problem I thought it was... I dont have a water softener but city water is probably not as hard with minerals as whats coming out of the ground from rain/runoff

Tsc17 thanks for the tips! I have always washed and waxed in a circular motion with all sorts of pressure till my arm was sore.... thankfully the acura is bright pearl white so you can barely tell when its clean or dirty but it does have one big rock chip on the hood that I finally got some touch-up paint to try..

Anyone know if you can buy langka products locally?