opinions needed, used car, 300zx

wnaplay1647545503

I am considering buying a used 91 n/a 300zx. I have always wanted one and could never bring myself to buy one for some reason or another. I recently found one that is decently priced but it may or may not need a head gasket. This along with other minor issues is making me sway in my opinion. Are these cars hard to work on? Based on prices I have gotten to replace the headgasket, I know their not cheap to work on. Any opinions would certainly help. Thanks Oh the car would only be a fair weather driver only. Mostly sit in the garage. Thanks

Are these cars hard to work on?

Extremely. I was in the market for one 5 or 6 years ago until I saw under the hood. Forget that. If my shit breaks I like to have it fixed within a few days time.

I have also heard this confirmed by many Z owners. This is not just my opinion.

What do you mean by demanding?

Maintenance. I looked at the RX-7 (FD) and 300ZX side by side and the 7 looked like a freaking go kart in terms of maintenance. It is kinda...stupid, really. i think mitch would be a better source, since he owned one.

If you have a headgasket issue, I wouldn't get it, unless it's a really good price. Like everyone else said, they're a pain to work on yourself, if u get someone else to work on it, prepare to pay. N/A is slow and it's a heavy car. 300Z's r for true Z fans only. Oh, the injectors like to go bad also.

ive owned a TT z before and had nothing but good come from the car, but im also a datsun/z/nissan freak so that may be why. They are not easy to work on , the parts are not cheap, but the sound of a high boosted TT is great. I would never buy one with a blown headgasket because you are going to get in over your head , and the NA cars like everyone said are big boats that are slow.

ive owned a TT They are not easy to work on , the parts are not cheap, but the sound of a high boosted TT is great. I would never buy one with a blown headgasket because you are going to get in over your head , and the NA cars like everyone said are big boats that are slow.

He just mentioned every reason I got rid of my TT. It was the best handling car I have ever driven though. Boost was fun, waiting for it to spool wasn't.

Its hard to find people locally that have much knowledge of the car to help out with the little nagging issues that can be expected from a 12-18 yr old car.

Well, you could always buy it and put another motor in it. There are ones running around with RB motors, but I hear that swap isn't easy.

...and of course, there is always the LS1...

a 1k 300z must be a junker no offense, these cars hold there value well prolly due to collectors ect, but as pat said you always have the option to throw an RB in there.

a 1k 300z must be a junker no offense, these cars hold there value well prolly due to collectors ect, but as pat said you always have the option to throw an RB in there.

Not to toot my own horn but I am good at negotiating. Most of the vehicles I buy are bought at less than a 1/4 of asking price.

Buying a NA version of a turbo car is like dating a chick that doesn't put out.

I figured this hasn't been quoted enough, so why not?

Also, this is pretty similar to my car, as I roll such a version. That said, I did pay next to nothing for it which allowed me to put the money/time I wanted to into since purchase. My car had 68k on it when I bought it, and was in perfect shape. If this one's not beat to shit, I say go for it.

As much as I loved my Z32, working under the hood was a major PITA. Still a damn fun car, with great handling. Though NA's are slow, it could still be a fun carver.

If its a slicktop or a 2+2 buy it, and do a TT swap for maximum win.