gun freaks I need help.

boosted98gst

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal under pillow weapon is my Glock 23 loaded with Federal Hydrashock 180 grain .40S&W. I also have a set of heine night sights and a Surefire X200 tac light. To be honest, I would stick with atleast .40S&W for knock down power. I would deffinately stick with the Glock or Smith and Wesson M&P series, seeing how your mother may end up using it. Most personal defense rounds are also made to not over penetrate too. That means you won't have stray rounds going every where, and if you hit your target, the cavitation will be greater.

Glock models in .40 - 22, 23, 27 and 35.

Smith and Wesson - M&P40

I'd go out to Blackwing since you're in Marysville, rent atleast those 2 and shoot them both.

As far as handguns go, the larger the frame, the less felt recoil. For a small woman, 9mm would be the easiest round to shoot thats still going to be enough to stop someone, so long as its filled with good home defense rounds. Handguns are also the easiest walk around with, shotguns tend to be heavy and hard to handle is close quarters.

There are many good handguns out there, some that I would suggest (and all in full frame size):

Glock

H&K USP

Springfield XD (I have one and love it)

Hi-Power

Smith & Wesson MP series

Ruger P Series

Sig

Walther P99

My personal favorite is the 1911 platform. The cheapest one you are going to find in your average gun shop would probably be the Springfield GI. These are going to be chambered in .45ACP, but the recoil honestly isn't all that bad. .40 has worse recoil than 9mm or .45ACP. If she really wants a smaller framed gun, look for something in .380, which is a shorter version of 9mm. A very good example of this is the Bersa Thunder.

There's really a wide variety of good guns out there, but expect to spend no less than $400 on a quality gun, although there can be exceptions to that.

You need to go to the range and just fire till you find something you feel comfortable with. Hell with asking everyones opinon on guns cause people always want something different and will try to sway you in their direction. Just go to a range and rent till you find something you both are happy with

A coach gun is a double-barrel shotgun, traditionally configured with 12 gauge barrels approximately 18" in length with Dbl AA buck,you can pick one up for under $350

and can be reloaded fast http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/CoachGun.JPG

A coach gun is a double-barrel shotgun, traditionally configured with 12 gauge barrels approximately 18" in length with Dbl AA buck,you can pick one up for under $350

and can be reloaded fast http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/CoachGun.JPG

A coach gun would kick the shit out of a smaller woman. When you have 3 people in your house, do you ask them to hang on so you can reload?

I've thought about getting a coach gun for beside the bed, but just not practical.

A coach gun would kick the shit out of a smaller woman. When you have 3 people in your house, do you ask them to hang on so you can reload?

I've thought about getting a coach gun for beside the bed, but just not practical.

With a little practice it can be reloaded very fast (ask any cowboy Action shooter) …..with it there as short as you can use (any shorter ..if you used it or even have it your breaking the law)the kick is no more then any other shot gun unless you pull both :bangbang: and if there close to each other you can hit all 3 at the same time :p

just remember when someone is in your house at night your usually not going to be thinking quickly or efficently so reloading an o/h or s/s shotgun isnt that easy. For once I will have to agree with LJ :) and say that pump or semi would be the best if you want a shotgun.

Dont overlook a smaller framed handgun. Your not trying to kill everyone that brakes into your house. Like I said go and shoot everything.

With a little practice it can be reloaded very fast (ask any cowboy Action shooter) …..with it there as short as you can use (any shorter ..if you used it or even have it your breaking the law)the kick is no more then any other shot gun unless you pull both :bangbang: and if there close to each other you can hit all 3 at the same time :p

Whatever you want to think... It's not a practical home defense shotgun... and yes they do kick harder, short barrel, solid shotgun no moving parts, those kick harder than my Citori's

So you’re going to keep a loaded semi auto or pump ready at bedside..(most not have Kids) …..with any gun you need practice to shoot load and hit what your aiming at ….the main part is practice with whatever you are going to use …with any shotgun you can practice with light loads ..Same with handgun …if you need to use the gun for defense you’re not going to feel any kick or recoil from a defense load…(might the next day)..but that would be a little price to pay for safety …and use lead or some type of frangible bullet, hollow point so it less likely to to go through the wall and hit someone you love …seen a test wear a shotgun with steel shot went through a house in the front and out the back 3 walls even some lead buck shot hit the 3rd wall but did not go through

even just to scare someone. nothing says "im not fucking around" like the chik-chuk of a pump action.

I've never understood why people say the 'racking' sound is going to scare people off. Yea, it might, but if I've got a weapon whose sole purpose is defense, it's going to be loaded to the max with ammunition, which includes one in the chamber, Condition 0 or most likely Condition 1. Loading the chamber takes vital time you might not have, not to mention giving away your position.

If you break into my house, you'll get no 'racking' warning from me. Just a slug to the head/chest/both.

I've never understood why people say the 'racking' sound is going to scare people off. Yea, it might, but if I've got a weapon whose sole purpose is defense, it's going to be loaded to the max with ammunition, which includes one in the chamber, Condition 0 or most likely Condition 1. Loading the chamber takes vital time you might not have.

If you break into my house, you'll get no 'racking' warning from me. Just a slug to the head/chest/both.

Not like it takes much effort to rack it and throw another in the mag.

oh no, i hear you austin, im just saying that if you walk in, and some dude is in your house trying to decide between fight or flight, that racking is probably going to make his decision for him.

After last time seeing the guy in person with my own eyes trying to break in made me more mad, Today I went to scotts gun and ammo and bought a remington youth 870 express is small and perfect for my mom. Now im looking for a nice pistol. We went to a friends farm and shot over 100 rounds, she has a good feel for it.

oh no, i hear you austin, im just saying that if you walk in, and some dude is in your house trying to decide between fight or flight, that racking is probably going to make his decision for him.

They cops will figure this out when they find holes either in his back or front.

Not like it takes much effort to rack it and throw another in the mag.

I prefer semi-auto

I like the option of being able to dump a tube of 9 shots faster than you can say "rack the shotgun"

After last time seeing the guy in person with my own eyes trying to break in made me more mad, Today I went to scotts gun and ammo and bought a remington youth 870 express is small and perfect for my mom. Now im looking for a nice pistol. We went to a friends farm and shot over 100 rounds, she has a good feel for it.

still got my 9mm glock. 500$ this weekend.