Primitive Camping

04r1

With the power outage I have been camping out at various houses. =P

Salt fork state park is quiet and they have power hookups. If you have some extra cash you can go horseback riding on some cool trails real close to the campgrounds. They have an excellent golf course in the park too!

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/

I went down there a month or so ago. It is absolutely. They have NO COST camping. But there are some restroom facilities if you don;t wanna wipe in the woods. Plus if you are into fishing there are something like 350 ponds. We traveled around and fished at about 10 different ponds. The water was so absolutely clear it was amazing. With then being coal lands you can also see about 30-40 feet down in the water as well. Plus there is a huge trail called the buckeye trail.

Worth the visit.

Guest mitsumodder
With the power outage I have been camping out at various houses. =P

Salt fork state park is quiet and they have power hookups. If you have some extra cash you can go horseback riding on some cool trails real close to the campgrounds. They have an excellent golf course in the park too!

power and golf is not really primitive

I bounce around all of the state parks throughout the year.

Salt fork is quiet and great. Shawnee is pretty similar but I enjoy the facilities at salt fork better.

Not that I know anything about you but I did not take you as a camping guy....

Not that I know anything about you but I did not take you as a camping guy....

Not camping, their lodges.:) We love to randomly wake up on a friday/saturday and throw a dart at a lodge/resort and spend a couple days there.

I love all the ohio lodges/resorts. Salt fork is probably my fav. though.

You are right though, I HATE primitive camping

I was wondering the same thing. Where is a good place to go backpacking in Ohio? I just got back from my first backpacking trip in the Rockies last week. It was amazing, 3 nights in a really remote area and hiked about 26 miles total. Going somewhere in Ohio will probably disappoint me now but I still want to go. This was the view from the campsite on the first night at Ozuel Lake.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/wheezytoo/ozuellake7.jpg

I found this but have not decided where to go yet. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/facilitiesmaps/backpacking/tabid/492/Default.aspx

I love Shawnee I've not been there since I was 11 or 12 so it could have turned into a shit hole

My Dad takes his Scout Troop there about once a year. I remember going when I was a kid and coming down one section where the trail had turned into drainage for the entire hillside, washing the dirt away from the fist-to head-sized rocks for almost a mile of trail. By the time we made it down, our feet were hamburger. I made the mistake of taking my boots off at the parking lot, and couldn't get them back on, even with the laces out. Me and a few other guys with the same problem ended up waiting there while the rest went to get the cars from the trailhead a couple miles away.