Too much gear

Bad78Cutlass

Well didn't put much info because we had to let off at the 1/8 because started to over heat. But it's got 28 x 10.5 x 15 slicks. And we pass through the traps at almost 7,000 but this is the pass we actually stayed in it. But letting off at 1/2 track it ran a 13.10 @ 104.40 but we just think it's too much gear. *The pass we stayed in it actually kept all the belts on it* But that day at the track whichwas the first passes got put on it had carb and timing problems. It should run mid 12's on the motor once we get everything fixed and have no clue what it'll run on the spray.

wrong...30" tires..$400 buck. just as much as gears and install kit!

28" tires is all he can fit on it with out major cutting!

the cam should be just fine. i have used many cams like this is drag cars, in fact have changed to a drag cam and slowed down!(when the cam place told me i should have picked up)

id say go lower then 4.10 gears, cause on the spray you will be spinning it even harder on the big end!

but first you need to make sure your trans is not slipping big time!

i had a similar v-8 chevy, spinning 6400 on motor with 4.56's and 27 " tires!

that or your convertor could be way loose!

We agree with the gears and completely understand that Rob. We can buy the gears and have them installed pretty cheap. And the convertor is a Coan and it's all tight (bolts) And the trans seems fine, but we'll have it built again probably late this winter just to get fresh parts back in.

what i mean buy loose converter is that is not holding the power down! not in thats its not bolted down! i have seen loose converters not work right!

edit: but yet still makes me wonder why the rpms are so high! like i said, 4.56,27" tires and sb monza we was only turning 6400-6600 thru the traps.

28x9" will fit a G-Body without rubbing.

My old car went a 1.47 with stock trailing arms on 28x9" ET Drag.

yeah they fit great. but people are telling him to throw 30"'s on it cause its cheaper! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...