Anyone have an Engineering degree?

Cordell

Anyone have an interesting job hook up for a CE/EE? My current job is boring as balls. If I can find something better I might switch...

Liebert Corporation. You might be able to get a job at the Delaware plant, where the make the Liebert UPS'.

Here at the Columbus location, they make the Air Conditioning units.

Yeah, neither one of those would be boring at all. [/sarcasm]

I don't think it is, whenever I take a stroll through the engineering sections at all the Liebert locations, I get pretty interested in what I see.

On top of that, they treat their employee's super well.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. That can be one aspect of the engineering field, but that's not everything. I have a friend that has his EE degree and he travels to hospitals diagnosing and fixing medical equipment. I have my ME degree and I drive prototype cars all day, as do some of my college friends.

It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to end up, and who you know.

I agree it depends on what your doing. I was just letting him know that ME/EE ain't necessary for 99% of the diag type jobs out there. As I said I work with people with both ME/EE and have worked with them in all sorts of diag jobs and all of them say the same thing, "sure wish I would have just looked into this type of job instead of going to college." Especially the younger ones that still have the loan to pay off.

Hehe I didn't even finish the 5th grade and my company knows this so what do I know:-)

Evan

I don't think it is, whenever I take a stroll through the engineering sections at all the Liebert locations, I get pretty interested in what I see.

On top of that, they treat their employee's super well.

Chris and Jeff and myself (all posting in this thread) worked together at the Delaware plant. :)

Thought I'd chime in my .02.

I have an ME from Illinois in '01. The nice thing about an engineering degree is that it is extremely versatile in technical fields. That is, engineering is what you make of it. Depending on your career path, it can be as much or as little hands on as you want. Some fields are very hands-on with a lot of field work (like Berto's), and some are much more desk-oriented and theoretical.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you are much more interested in a hands-on approach. If you are looking to go that route, a degree isn't completely necessary. For example, you could start as an "engineering technician" (the preferred industry term for someone that does an engineer's job without a degree), and work your way into an engineering position. If you wanted to go the automotive route, you could always look at TRC. In fact, they're hiring right now!

http://www.trcpg.com/employmentdetail.asp?id=26

And one more thing, you may think you want to be a test driver, but trust me, you don't. If you're bored at your job now, imagine what it's like driving a prototype car with a broken radio around an oval track for 8 hours a day...

I agree it depends on what your doing. I was just letting him know that ME/EE ain't necessary for 99% of the diag type jobs out there. As I said I work with people with both ME/EE and have worked with them in all sorts of diag jobs and all of them say the same thing, "sure wish I would have just looked into this type of job instead of going to college." Especially the younger ones that still have the loan to pay off.

Hehe I didn't even finish the 5th grade and my company knows this so what do I know:-)

Evan

You probably don't know a lot of things that formal education teaches you.

I have an ME from Illinois in '01. The nice thing about an engineering degree is that it is extremely versatile in technical fields. That is, engineering is what you make of it. Depending on your career path, it can be as much or as little hands on as you want. Some fields are very hands-on with a lot of field work (like Berto's), and some are much more desk-oriented and theoretical.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you are much more interested in a hands-on approach. If you are looking to go that route, a degree isn't completely necessary. For example, you could start as an "engineering technician" (the preferred industry term for someone that does an engineer's job without a degree), and work your way into an engineering position. If you wanted to go the automotive route, you could always look at TRC. In fact, they're hiring right now!

And one more thing, you may think you want to be a test driver, but trust me, you don't. If you're bored at your job now, imagine what it's like driving a prototype car with a broken radio around an oval track for 8 hours a day...

How much does that engineering technician job pay? I'll be graduating this spring and have extensive welding, fabrication, and welding experience to go along with design, parametric modeling, and other skills that come along with the ME degree... I'm trying to find something fairly hands-on in central Ohio and that job sounds like it could be fun.

Ill take your guys' word for it then... lol

Im not gonna say anything that would get me in trouble, but I will say this: Your job (no matter where you work) is largely what you make of it; on the stipulation that in some companies, seniority is the thing that gets you where you want to be.

Oh, and Mr. Mensan has the experience to get just about any engineering job he'd like, I am not sure why he chose Liebert in the first place ;)

I graduated last year with my M.E. from the Univ. of Akron. An idea I haven't seen mentioned is if you want to be more hands on problem solving with less of the theoretical aspect, you could look into a engineering technology. Not sure if OSU has anything similar, but Akron has that program. It gets you more in depth in manufacturing processes with just enough theory to still be an engineer (for the mechanical engineering technology at Akron). At Akron is it is also a 4/5 year program, depending on if you co-op.

I graduated last year with my M.E. from the Univ. of Akron. An idea I haven't seen mentioned is if you want to be more hands on problem solving with less of the theoretical aspect, you could look into a engineering technology. Not sure if OSU has anything similar, but Akron has that program. It gets you more in depth in manufacturing processes with just enough theory to still be an engineer (for the mechanical engineering technology at Akron). At Akron is it is also a 4/5 year program, depending on if you co-op.

I was going to suggest that also, but was too lazy to make the post, haha. At Purdue we also had a pretty large School of Technology. Off the top of my head, they offered mechanical, computer and electrical engineering technology. Also very good degrees to have, and yeah, generally a lot more hands on.

i have a EE and should have gotten a ME. I worked in the field as service tech for 4 years traveling the world working customers, installing equipment, and repairing. It was great. I now have a desk job, doing mechanical and electrical engineering. I soon to have a another promotion to US manager of engineering. I do not 100% like what i am doing now but it's were the money is at and i know that i can not be a crawing around in pit and shop floors for the rest of my life, but i can always go back to it if i feel the need.

If you don't have an engineering degree then a 'test driver' position will be something where you're running durability (driving in circles over different surfaces). If you have your engineering degree then a 'test driver' position can be tuning suspension, electronic driving systems, tuning ECU's, etc, etc.