You can't build a bike that goes 150, you can't make them go zero to 60 in ...

kenny

I've been in the motorcycle industry all my life. I think that a lot of blame can be put on the people selling the bikes(not in all cases). I've seen people come in the pony that have never been on a motorcycle in their life and they just bought a new "busa" or "1000rr" and it makes me angry, not because I'm jealous but because they tell me "the guy at the dealership said it was the right size and i can handle it". Now mind you I've seen people that have done that and are still in one piece but people wake up these bikes have more power than some cars and weight one forth as much.

I'm sorry if I'm preaching but this is no laughing matter, people need to take these things seriously.

I've been in the motorcycle industry all my life. I think that a lot of blame can be put on the people selling the bikes(not in all cases). I've seen people come in the pony that have never been on a motorcycle in their life and they just bought a new "busa" or "1000rr" and it makes me angry, not because I'm jealous but because they tell me "the guy at the dealership said it was the right size and i can handle it". Now mind you I've seen people that have done that and are still in one piece but people wake up these bikes have more power than some cars and weight one forth as much.

I'm sorry if I'm preaching but this is no laughing matter, people need to take these things seriously.

I think you're seeing typical customers who lie to make themselves feel better. I was in the dealer business for about 6 years. Especially in regard to young men and sport bikes, just about everybody lets their ego get involved and doesn't want to listen to you when you suggest a smaller bike. They'll say things like "My buddy rides a 1000 and said it'll be fine for me." And forget trying to talk them down to a 500 from a 600, they're not going to be emasculated like that. Then when they come to you, and you question their bad judgment, they'll just tell you that the "dealer" said it'd be fine. The reality is that the demographic getting into sport bikes are being inherently irresponsible.

im up at ask in grove city alot and people come in there with there chest pumped up and get what they want no matter what they are told.. salemen tells them that its to big and mike ask them if they can ride and they say yes and drops the bike right in front of the store all the time

p.s my busa was my first bike and i have droped it 1 time but it wasnt from acking a fool a oilly spot at a traiffic light got me washing the front wheel out as i was stopping at a light that changed on me

I think you're seeing typical customers who lie to make themselves feel better. I was in the dealer business for about 6 years. Especially in regard to young men and sport bikes, just about everybody lets their ego get involved and doesn't want to listen to you when you suggest a smaller bike. They'll say things like "My buddy rides a 1000 and said it'll be fine for me." And forget trying to talk them down to a 500 from a 600, they're not going to be emasculated like that. Then when they come to you, and you question their bad judgment, they'll just tell you that the "dealer" said it'd be fine. The reality is that the demographic getting into sport bikes are being inherently irresponsible.

Actually I would say to a degree Motorsports of Columbus has a decent few salespeople who will try to put people on large bikes simply because they get more commission out of it. I would actually say that's part of the downside of commission work, if sales are slow that month you're going to try to put people in/on the vehicle that'll nab you the most return, rather than what is really more fitting for them.

Actually I would say to a degree Motorsports of Columbus has a decent few salespeople who will try to put people on large bikes simply because they get more commission out of it. I would actually say that's part of the downside of commission work, if sales are slow that month you're going to try to put people in/on the vehicle that'll nab you the most return, rather than what is really more fitting for them.

when speaking of Japanese sport bikes, the margins are BARELY any larger on liter bikes over 600s, and the sales people are only paid on the profit of the deal, not the total sale. While I'm not doubting that some people would be dumb enough to not know how their comp plan works, but from my perspective it wouldn't make sense. Plus, it's more money that the customer has to get financed/approved for so it would make the sale harder to complete.