First gun

AWW$HEEET

Im looking to buy a first gun.

You may ask why, for what purpose, etc... I guess its probably just my innate interest, and probably the fact that Im an American and feel compelled to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

Anyone have any suggestions? Im probably looking for a rifle as of now, because I feel without a concealed carry, a handgun would be worthless. Does anyone have suggestions on a first weapon? I was kinda toying with getting an AR15, but Im open to suggestions.

The AR is fun if youll always shoot it.. if not itll be a waste of a thousand bucks. If I was you Ide buy a hand gun or a small .22 rifle to start with. A little .22 could probably be more fun than an AR if you wanted to shoot all day long and not feel it later in the wallet.

I really like shooting my dad's .22 LR semi auto stainless steel Marlin but I sometimes feel limited by the caliber. We use it for varmint control and beyond about 50-70 yards the knock down power really drops off, and unless you are using higher powered "stingers" the accuracy also drops off at this range and you can no longer expect 95-99% shots in the "kill zone".

But for your first gun I would probably recommend a name brand .22LR as well and probably a stainless version.

Does anyone make a .22LR that can also shoot .22 magnums? An option for a .22 magnum upgrade in the same rifle would probably be closer to the .223 AR-15 you have your eyes on, once you are ready to graduate.

You can't go wrong with a shotgun for self defense but they are extremely loud and the recoil isn't that pleasant for a beginner for target practice or recreational shooting- on the other hand bird hunting or clay shooting is fun though and a lot harder than it looks-

If you just want to unload some rounds and have fun, I'd say a 30/30... If you are hunting, I'd go with a .30-06.

No reason to spend that much money just plinking

think about this

.223 ammo is going to cost you about $.40 per round to shoot

9mm $.18

30-30 $.65

.22lr $.03

.17hmr would be a nice suppliment for a .22

They are the shiz.. its a bad ass little round for sure. Still somewhat cheap.. and cool to shoot too.. They do some serious damage for being so small. They have a webforum too.. www.17hmr.net !

93r17 crew, signing in.

<3 my Savage.

No reason to spend that much money just plinking

think about this

.223 ammo is going to cost you about $.40 per round to shoot

9mm $.18

30-30 $.65

.22lr $.03

Agreed, 30-30/.30-06 are expensive to shoot, not to mention both are illegal to hunt (deer) with in Ohio.

I would go with a Savage/Remington bolt rifle with a scope in...

.22 Mag

personally i would recommend picking up a SKS or a Russian 54. 22 rifle is a good option as well. The SKS is a very inexpensive gun. you can pick them up for around $100-$200. The tear down you could do in your sleep. they are fun to shoot. Ammo is about $20-$30 for 100 rounds. The parts are like GM's very generic and you can find pretty much anywhere. It is a good gun to start off with because it is inexpensive so if you fuck it up your not out the price of a AR15. So that is my reommendation.