Garage Heaters

Buck531

What do you have in your garage? I have a gas heater in my garage now but it sucks and backfires 2' flames out of it. That and its sitting on cinder blocks and just plain sucks.

I'm looking to get something halfway decent. I'm not sure if I need a fan on it or not? My garage is roughly 2 cars and I'd like to hang it up in the corner.

I was thinking of something like this.

Ebay

I already have a vent stack for the heater that's there. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Oh, and I'd like to stay under $100.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43384_______14239|14273|19717|43384?listingPage=true&Special=false

I know that's more than you want to spend, but you can't go wrong. I've got one of that style in my garage. It goes from freezing to changing into shorts in about 10 minutes. I run either Kero or diesel through it, depending on what's cheaper.

30k BTU is probably a bit small for a 2 car garage. I'd go atleast 60k, and plan on waiting about 20-30 minutes for it to get comfortable.

I've got about twelve 600k BTU units that we rent at work if you wanna try one out. :lol: Would heat your garage from below freezing to unbearably hot in about 30 seconds. 8)

BTW, as Copperhead said, those forced air heaters are the way to go. I'd recommend a name brand such as Master, Reddy, or DESA since parts are much easier to get for those (if you're not moving it, though, you probably won't need parts). I work on a metric shit-ton of these things in the winter time and have come to know them inside and out.

BTW, they also make propane powered versions if you want it to burn cleaner. These are typically 150k units and lower, which would be fine for you. If you go the propane route, you have to be careful with the size tank you run it from. Too small a tank will freeze up rather quickly.

This is the heater I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/55-000-BTU-KEROSENE-REDDY-HEATER-used-works-fine_W0QQitemZ180299016719QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180299016719&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

My garage is about the same size as yours, and pretty well insulated. After about 15-20 minutes of it running (with it being subfreezing outside) I have to turn it off because it just gets too damn hot.

Since my garage is attached, and since I smoke in the garage instead of in the house, I am constantly flipping it on, so the garage rarely gets below 40 degrees. For your garage, you may want to step up to a 75,000 or 120,000 btu heater, but I REALLY recommend sticking with this style of heater. Construction workers use them outside, if that tells you anything.

I already have a natural gas line ran to the garage (that's what the current heater is). I'd like to keep it that way to keep things simple and not have to run out and keep refilling it.

I'm just looking for something "like" mine, yet able to hang in the corner up out of the way of everything. Also, I'd like something that doesn't backfire every time it comes on and is a little bit more efficient than the aluminum box I have sitting on cinder blocks :).

Didn't you post this thread last year?

Edit:

Yes, you did. Quit being a cheap ass and go buy a new heater already.

ha.. I forgot about that.

It's not about being a cheap ass (well maybe it is), but I Just don't have the funds right now lying around. I have so much other shit I could do. I guess I was looking for a deal on something and with more people who have joined in the last year I would get some new opinions.. I guess not :(.

Guest 614Streets

So we get 1 thread from you about this each year :D

Hey anyone out there fix the missle kerosene ones , I have one thats in my garage downtown I think she needs a glow plug . Anyone?