GM - dead?

Kevin R.

Layoff everyone in the union and re-hire without a union at a lower wage. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

What's worse? No union and making less money or letting GM go under and no jobs?

Exactly. And fire half the management for being horrible forecasters in the automotive market.

Funny thing is we did a huge project on GM my sophmore year of college stating how they need to save their asses and they did absolutely nothing. Now, many of the people looking into GM are saying the same things. If some 19 year old kids can see what they need to do to remain a competitor, why the fuck can't GM see it?

DHL has announced that they will be leaving back to Germany and selling their routes to UPS. 15,000 more people in Cincinnati alone are going to be unemployed. My sister just went into work at 10 this morning and came home at 11 - the computer company she worked for just laid off everyone in the building and closed for business.

DHL has announced that they will be leaving back to Germany and selling their routes to UPS. 15,000 more people in Cincinnati alone are going to be unemployed. My sister just went into work at 10 this morning and came home at 11 - the computer company she worked for just laid off everyone in the building and closed for business.

Yupp. Shit is bad right now and only getting worse. Hope this doesn't happy to many more.

Oh, I forgot to mention that every suck ass yuppie wanna-be buys toyota or honda.

Dave

WTF ?

Damn those terrible yuppies, buying reliable, fuel efficient vehicles before it was the socially concious thing to do. People didn't start buying hondas and toyotas because of a fad. Its much more a mismanagement issue. Blame is squareley placed on the companies inability to operate efficiently, and the union for not allowing them to.

Rick Wagoner has been doing a great job at GM. He's made all the right moves and made a deal with the UAW that will greatly help the company in the future...but it can't realize those gains until 2010. The position of the compnay right now is not the fault of Rick Wagoner, but of the mis-management of the people that came before him.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-chief-rick-wagoner-back-to-full-salary.html

In 2007 Wagoner cut his own salery by 50% in 2007, and 25% in 2006. Your so-called "pay raise" was just the board taking away his self-imposed pay cuts and reinstating his original salery.

I agree that the UAW needs reformed (which the new agreement does), but also the U.S. plants need to be more flexible in order to respond to demand quicker, and the dealer network needs to be shrunk.

They also have the problem of the government mandating emissions and fuel economy regulations that require huge investments in a very short time. The government standards passed this year are already costing millions, if not billions, of dollars in engineering resources. Projects were delayed by a model year or two in order to re-engineer their powertrains to meet the new regs, and that was before the credit crunch caused problems in vehicle sales. So you guys think it's ok for the government to cost the automakers large sums of money, but they don't deserve low interest loans that will keep millions of jobs from being affected? Do you have any idea what would happen to the economy when millions of people are laid off?

It's not only GM/Ford/Chryler either, it's thier supplier base. I believe the stat was for every one job at the automaker there were 3-4 people employed at suppliers. If a major automaker goes bankrupt, then many of their suppliers will too. These are the same suppliers that send parts to Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc. Those suppliers would no longer be able to provide parts to those company's, meaning the entire industry grinds to a halt world wide.

They need the bridge loans. End of story. You don't want to see the effects of one of them filing for bankruptcy.

Come on man, give us a break. Waggoner has been doing an "okay" job, but don't give him great.

A great job would have never allowed them to be in this position, period. GM has been "re-arranging" it's business for the past 7 years. I can't believe that he hasn't been fired yet.

A great job would have this company turned around making money. A great job would have flexible production plants, labor unions that are scared, and some fiscal responsibility.

I agree with you on everything else except this..............if it's time for GM to go down, they need to go down. I don't want a Great Depression as much as you do, but I'm more willing to go the depression route than to give them $$$$.

The bigger problem is......when will all these loans stop? When will the bailout end? First AIG, this company, that company.............