plasma people

Sturg1647545502

Guest mitsumodder
I have a Samsung plasma...it has burn protection/fixing built in. you run a program if you get an image burnt in, have yet to have this problem. both types of tv's can have pixel's go out. plasma is better in bright rooms. plasma uses more power than lcd. gamers and blu-ray movie watchers will benifit more from plasma. lcd lifespan is about 5000-10000 viewing hours longer. plasma can make darker/truer blacks.

plasma is better in bright rooms. plasma uses more power than lcd. gamers and blu-ray movie watchers will benifit more from plasma. lcd lifespan is about 5000-10000 viewing hours longer. plasma can make darker/truer blacks.

All these are true except for the last, at this point LCDs have almost completely caught up and its pretty negligible. Then again, if you're going used you may end up with a lower quality LCD.

We've got a 50" Zenith we got for $800, never had any problems with screen burn. However, I will say stay away from Zenith/LG. We had our power supply, Y and Z boards burn out about 3 months after getting the tv. It was fortunately still under warranty but it was a major pain in the ass. We also went with plasma because the windows in our den almost completely take up 2 of the walls, so there's a lot of natural light. If you're not 100% set on a flatpanel setup, look into DLP tvs. They're larger and don't need an entertainment stand, which some people dig and some people hate. I hate them, but its worth a look to see what you think.

I just bought a 42in Panasonic plasma from Best Buy that was a display model. I am happy with it so far.

With a Plasma, the first 100 hours are the most crucial to prevent burn-in. As long as they have had video that has taken up the entire screen for the first 100 hours, you should be ok. My TV always had a video looping on it, so it's good there.

I just bought a 42in Panasonic plasma from Best Buy that was a display model. I am happy with it so far.

With a Plasma, the first 100 hours are the most crucial to prevent burn-in. As long as they have had video that has taken up the entire screen for the first 100 hours, you should be ok. My TV always had a video looping on it, so it's good there.

Man so you bought a tv that ran like 12 hours a day for how ever long it was on the shelf? That is scary.

All Panny's are burnt in from the factory. True story.

so we're looking a buying a used plama. ive never owned one. what are some things to look out for? any ominous signs of this will break 1 day after you buy it?

What brand and how old? If it's fairly new 1-3yrs, you should be completely fine. Just look for abuse ie....heavy gaming or a sport bar TV. Otherwise, you should be fine.

I have a Samsung 50" for three years. No problems at all. Only thing I don't like is the power supply has a "buzz" to it. I can only hear it when the house is very quite and the volume is very low.

Haha. Nothing like a distracting noise when your trying to pull a ninja jerk off!

No I forwent the used sale. Taqrget has a 48" olevia for $889. Although someone made a good point, I don't need a wallmount tv. I might look at some DLP's.