Reintroduction/finally joined the LS1 family

Bigbird

Oh hey guys. I'm Ryan, most of you don't know me...and a couple of you do/might. I've been here for a while, posting here and there, been out to an event or two. But I've never really had a car I was "proud" of per se, and thus I never really made an effort to come up and meet new people when I was out. I've had 3 cars since I've been on here.

This was Bigbird, my 03 Sentra Spec-V. I had this when I first joined, hence the screen name (man do I wish I hadn't done that haha). It was fun for me at the time, taught me a lot about cars as it was my second one, and my first one I actually did some work on myself. Still though...kinda ricerish, I'm not gonna lie, but we all grow and our interests change. (I can say I didn't weave around like a Paul Walker wannabe haha so thats good)

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v129/76/86/50611087/n50611087_31069576_9439.jpg

I sold Bigbird for this...my 1987 IROC Z28

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v129/76/86/50611087/n50611087_31069582_1254.jpg

Yeah...it looks pretty bad haha. I had this out at a few meets here and there. The good thing about it was the engine. It had a 383 stroker, with cam, heads, and all that jazz. I still have it, but a friend/neighbor is currently buying it. He takes care of it, and I haven't even driven it in forever. (This was actually my second F-Body, my first car was a '92 V6 Camaro...as some of you may have seen in the "post pics of yourself" thread..with my crazy long hair haha)

After my beater that I drove while the Camaro sat started to fall apart I got my RSX Type-S...

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v172/76/86/50611087/n50611087_31266909_4416.jpg

It was a nice daily driver. I ended up putting a CAI, header, and motor mount inserts on it just to jazz it up a little bit I suppose, but it never really excited me. I've never felt at home in this car, and FWD is just all wrong. It was nice for a while, but I've decided to upgrade...

Today I picked up this beauty...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v378/76/86/50611087/n50611087_31875596_7415.jpg

A 1999 Camaro SS M6. I was in the market for a small truck or SUV when I saw this thing and just couldn't pass it up. As soon as I sat in it I got a huge grin on my face. It just felt right. She isn't perfect, but I love her already. She has 75'000 miles, a cat-back(I haven't checked which one yet, but I like it :)), K&N intake, and a BBK throttle-body. I've got a few plans for it, but I'm new to the LS1 scene so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to coming out more often now. I know there are some great people on this site, and I really shouldn't have been so apprehensive about coming up and meeting you guys...but oh well! Haha all I can do now is come out to more events(hopefully the next track day!), and really try and be a part of this community.

Oh yeah sorry for the crappy pics, I'm pretty sure all of them were taken from my cell phone. I would also take more pics of the SS...but now it's got snow all over it haha.

• Upvote 2

You still have another car to drive in the winter ?

As of now...no haha. I do plan on picking up a beater ASAP though.

Thanks for the comments though guys. As far as the wheels go...I hated them when I saw pics, but when I saw them in person I liked them a lot better. Still though, I do want to get some different ones. I'll probably save up and get some C5 Z06 rims/replicas. For now though, they'll get the job done.

Hey Ryan. Nice k20 ftw plates on your camaro fagg. Nice winter car hhaha not. haha j/k looks good.

Haha dammit...I was hoping no one would notice. They're on there till I can get new registration and plates...LS1 FTW is taken..I'm bummed haha. But again, thanks guys! Any suggestions/guidance on modding or anything?

I think the best wheels on the SS is the ZR-1 wheel. Not a huge fan of the C5 Z06 on the camaro.

I would get some ZR-1s and a good suspension that lowers it along with great handling. Too high, and the wheels have to go.

Haha dammit...I was hoping no one would notice. They're on there till I can get new registration and plates...LS1 FTW is taken..I'm bummed haha. But again, thanks guys! Any suggestions/guidance on modding or anything?

Let me know what your goals are with the car and we can make it do whatever you and your wallet want it to do. If doesn't already have sub-frame connectors, that would be a good start. So are headers and a cam.

Ahhh I forgot about ZR-1 wheels, I do really like those. What kind of spacers would you have to get, if at all? I have a buddy that used to have an LT1 Fbody that was going to have those rims on it, but apparently they rubbed.

Scott, I'm thinking a reliable 350 or so wheel horsepower would be great. Although I definitely want to get some seat time right now, it's quite a change from the RSX to this...and winter time isn't going to make the transition any better haha. But yeah man, let me know what kind of ideas you've got.

350 horse at the wheels is nothing more than a few bolt-ons and a mild cam, get to cut some decent 60' times and you'll have a mid 12 sec car or better, and just as reliable as it is now.

Do you think that's too much for the stock rear end? Haha or am I just being overly paranoid?'

And Andy, it's been too flipping long man haha. And I STILL haven't seen your Stang. I'll try and hit you up this weekend man.

Stock rears aren't too bad. Problem is you have bought a 6-speed which can be the death of the 10 bolt with factory power. It depends a lot on how you drive it, if you shock it a few times hard enough it will break. Dumping the clutch, powershifting, and any other "gear banging" will bring it and the trans to a quick end. Otherwise they hold up pretty good.

Word...I'll just be careful for now haha. Ever done the "drill mod"? Sounds like something I would want to do. Today I was toying around a lil bit, and seemed to have a bit of trouble with 3rd gear, but none of the other gears. That seems to fit the description for what the "drill mod" fixes, then again I could just be not used to this transmission/clutch...haha.