Cam Positiong Sensor

Red1990LX

To make a long story short here, my Ranger's cam positioning sensor went bad. Replaced it reset computer and CEL came on again. WTF didn't feel like messing with it anymore and took it to a shop. They had it for 3 full days and they found some bad wires and fixed it. So they thought. Drove to Springfield for work and the CEL came on. Same problem the sensor. However, if I am running the heat, the hesitation/stalling goes completely away. The second I turn the heat of in the truck it hesitates and falls flat on its face and does it repeatidly until I turn the heat on. Anyone experience or have experience with this? I am lost and apparently the mechanic that I paid already hasnt a clue either as he called three times the first day he had it asking where this sensor was!!! Any help would be awesome as the Holidays are coming and I am trying to go see family without renting a car and the Stang ain't gonne be cought dead in snow!

Just found this on the web ever heard of it?

Replacing the cam sensor alone won't fix the repair. You need to replace BOTH the cam sensor and the synchronizer. The root cause of this failure is sludge buildup inside the body of the synchronizer, restricting its free movement. The person that told you this part requires the use of a "tool" is also correct. The reason for this, is because the synchronizer has to be installed in EXACTLY the same position as the original part, the way a distributor would on older engines. The cost of both of these parts are as follows:

$72.81 US for the synchronizer (part number DA-2089)

$18.72 US for the cam sensor (part number 1F1Z-6B288-BA)

This information was obtained from fordparts.com. Hope this helps.

Guest Removed
i think thats for the 3.0 v-6...not the 2.3. but let me go check

here's the part number for the 2.3 cam sensor 1L5Z6B288AA

now ill check the 3.0 causei know it has the sycro. i dont think the 2.3 does. the 2.3 should just be a 2 wires sensor, not 3

yeah theres no synchronizer listed for the 2.3 at all man there listed for the 3.0 and 4.0 but not for the 2.3

Well, I am stumped and at the mercy of this mechanic. I have never taken a car of mine to have something like this fixed and it ticks me off that he can't even fix it. The first bill was $310 and I had the hard part done, the sensor itself becasue of its location. Course he did put two O-rings on my powersteering line but that was only a half hour labor. I don't know what to do. I cant find anything on the 2.3L's cam sensor. It's weird how with the heat on the truck runs fine (still has the CEL on though) but with it off, it acts up...

Guest Removed
Here is the exact code that was pulled, there were no other codes at all...

"Cam Position Sensor A Bank 1 CKT Malfunction"

ok i hope you have a dvom

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/125389080.gif

you need to check these things first!

sorry the meckinneck that you took it to did not know what he was doing, but you need to find someone strong with diaging a car. ;)

I am assuming that there is still a bad wire that is shorting out and the vibrations from the compressor kicking on is keeping the wire from touching ground but doesn't explain why the CEL stays on and doesn't go off with the compressor. Would that blow a fuse somewhere or something?

ok i hope you have a dvom

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/125389080.gif

you need to check these things first!

sorry the meckinneck that you took it to did not know what he was doing, but you need to find someone strong with diaging a car. ;)

Whats is the DR5 step? Thanks for your help.... You really know your Fords, this is the second time you helped me, I appreciate it!!! Yes, I do have a DVOM as I work for Beacon Electric here in Dayton and Cincy... Thanks again and I'll let you know what i find!!!

I am assuming that there is still a bad wire that is shorting out and the vibrations from the compressor kicking on is keeping the wire from touching ground but doesn't explain why the CEL stays on and doesn't go off with the compressor. Would that blow a fuse somewhere or something?

CEL stays on when a code is set, and doesn't reset itself. Be interested in your results, let us know.

Guest Removed
Whats is the DR5 step? Thanks for your help.... You really know your Fords, this is the second time you helped me, I appreciate it!!! Yes, I do have a DVOM as I work for Beacon Electric here in Dayton and Cincy... Thanks again and I'll let you know what i find!!!

let me know which way you are going...which of those tests it fails .

ill post the next steps you need to take then! ;)