Looking for a handgun

BMWGSXR

I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking new. But are you looking for anything in particular. Or just something that can put a hole in someone?

I'm pretty much dead set on a Springfield XD 45 ACP: quick dis, easy to clean, very comfortable, idiot proof in the dark even.

you dont need a 45 for home protection, and you dont want an XD for "quick disassembly". i had the 9mm, and i had to bust out the book to figure out how to disassemble it. it wasn't quick.

now you can go with something like a glock, or the knockoff S&W sigma, which you can take apart both in less than 5 seconds, my M&P is pretty easy to take apart, plus it comes with 3 different back straps so it can be changed to fit pretty much anyone who wants to shoot it.

if its just for the night stand, dont drop a shitload of money. the XD's are ~450-500, M&Ps are about 400, but the sigma is the cheapest at ~$250 bucks new, it goes bang when you pull the trigger, the 9mm holds 17+1 IIRC, and its got a trigger thats pretty heavy, so it'll make you sure you're wanting to pull the trigger, instead of it accidentally going off. plus, theres a used one for sale on here somewhere

Anyone got any handguns for sale? I'm not looking for an extravagant piece, just something for home security. Post up if so

Thanks,

Andrew

If it's for home security, go with a short barrel shotgun.

I have a nice short-barrel with the option pistol grip for exactly the same reasons. It's not my only firearm, but it's my choice for anyone trying to enter my home. The nice thing is you can buy a variety of rounds that will definitely stop the intruder but are less likely to penetrate walls thus possibly killing a family member or neighbor, etc...

With the rapist and break-in's / home invasions on the rise, I just go through cleaning my guns and making sure they are ready to go with fresh ammo and clips.

If it's for home security, go with a short barrel shotgun.

I have a nice short-barrel with the option pistol grip for exactly the same reasons. It's not my only firearm, but it's my choice for anyone trying to enter my home. The nice thing is you can buy a variety of rounds that will definitely stop the intruder but are less likely to penetrate walls thus possibly killing a family member or neighbor, etc...

With the rapist and break-in's / home invasions on the rise, I just go through cleaning my guns and making sure they are ready to go with fresh ammo and clips.

QFT, but if a handgun is a must dont go all out, the Sigma series is fine. I have had one for about 3 years and it has never failed me or jammed once. It does have a heavy trigger but that doesnt matter if it is just for emergency situations.

.40S&W+ please.

Comparrison:

Federal Premium Hyrda-Shok .45 ACP JHP 165 grain

Federal Premium Hydra-Shok 9mm Luger JHP 147 grain (I went with Federal's heaviest 9mm to possibly give it a chance).

Just looking at energy in foot pounds alone

at the muzzle we are looking at a difference of 412 (.45 ACP) and 326 (9mm). If we travel out to 25 yards it drops to 377 (.45 ACP) and 311 (9mm). Let's keep going out to 50 yards where it continues to drop tp 349 (.45 ACP) and 297 (9mm). Then keep following the bullets out to 75 yards where it drops to 325 (.45 ACP) and 284 (9mm). Finally out at 100 yards the .45 ACP is dropping to 305 foot pounds and the 9mm has dropped to 273 foot pounds.

As you can see at 75 yards the .45 ACP has dropped its energy down to what the 9mm is coming out of the barrel with. How's that for a comparison? I also looked at how the 9mm Hyrdra-Shok compared to a .45 ACP FMJ, and the .45 ACP still beats the 9mm in energy, but not as much as it does when comparing the two in Hydra-Shok rounds.

you dont need a 45 for home protection, and you dont want an XD for "quick disassembly". i had the 9mm, and i had to bust out the book to figure out how to disassemble it. it wasn't quick.

What XD did you own? Shit was idiot proof, if you want a basic "field" strip (removing spring/barrel)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/pickupsplus/thumb_XD9-1.gif

Flip it and remove slide. Just as easy as any Glock or M&P. Stay clear of the Sigma, I wouldn't trust my life on something cheap.

sigma's are crap

glock's have stupid grip angles

1911's were given to us from God through the profit John Moses Browning

XD's rock, and whoever can't figure out how to field strip it needs to give up at life. As for what round is best, go with what you shoot best. If you shoot best with a .45, then that's what you need. If you shoot best with a 9mm, then that's what you need. Beyond that, any round is going to make someone second guess their actions.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking new. But are you looking for anything in particular. Or just something that can put a hole in someone?

I'm pretty much dead set on a Springfield XD 45 ACP: quick dis, easy to clean, very comfortable, idiot proof in the dark even.

You can't drive the boat until you're 21.

XD is a good gun, but is it the best? Glock is a good gun, but is it the best? 1911 is a great gun, but is it the best? All guns are as different as the people behind them, just as all cars are as different as the people behind them.

The answer is get what you like and what feels best for you. If it feels good to you, you will most likely shoot it the best. You wouldn't want to drive a car you hated would you? Consider it the same with a gun, because it is potentially even more important. Remember some day it just might be the gun that saves your life, or the life of someone you care about. Consider what's important to you!! Any gun in a person who is properly trained can ruin the rest of what is left of forever for the opposing.

We can argue all day long about what car is best and what gun is best, but it's what you choose to live with... and defend your life with that matters. Just make sure the damn thing works right before you load it and stow it away! (If you don't plan on shooting it regularly).

I have my S&W Sigma for sale

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57770

They are not the crap some on here say they are. There only down fall is the heavy trigger pull. It is something you can either get use to or you can have a little gunsmith work done to change a few springs and it will greatly reduce that trigger pull. I have put around 800 rounds through mine without a single problem. Believe me it was a big step up from my old HiPoint 9mm. So if you are looking for a cheap good handgun, they are worth checking out.

I vote a 1911 but then again Greg is 110% correct with the feel of the gun being very important.

PS: I am digging the Infidel Undustries thing

Thanks, you can throw credit towards Scott for the graphic, I came up with the name... We've got some things in the mix for some ideas with it... =)

i know the XD isnt "oh my god it took me an hour to disassemble" hard...maybe it was just that mine was new, and that flip up lever was stiff. with my g26, it was "move the slide back 1/8 inch, pull down 2 tabs, slide forward", same with the sigma. my M&P drop the mag, lock slide, flip lever down in chamber, slide forward.

if your going to keep it loaded all the time get a revolver or plan or replacing magazine springs all the time they get fucked up if it just sits for a long time compressed

Generally spring cycling is what messes them up. Leaving them compressed or uncompressed usually has little affect on spring life.