Tell me about GPS / Navigation car units

nurkvinny

I am buying a navigation unit for myself for Christmas. I figured this place was an excellent source of knowledge. I want something I can type an address into and give me directions. I assume all of these units tell you your GPS location?

Which ones are best for a GPS newb? How much do I need to spend to get a decent one? Are there monthly fees? Fees to update maps? Fill me in.

Last christmas we bought my mom a Garmin 250W. Everyone in the family uses it occasionally and it works great. Its really accurate and has good turn by turn directions. You can even search for locations.

I don't think we pay a monthly fee, and you can find similar units for around $200. I'd go with something more updated though. Its the only one I've had a lot of experience with but I think its a good unit my self.

How much are you looking to spend? Newegg has this bad boy for $400 and has a street view feature built in with tons of other features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108337

I have a nuvi 780. After spending a lot of time messing with them I really like the Nuvi's better than the competing brands. I had a 350 before going to the 780. Garmin makes a great product and it comes loaded with extras. Mine has bluetooth, mp3 player, route planner/optimizer, it gets live traffic updates. I deliver subpoenas as a second job so I use mine a lot to say the least. Do a search on Amazon or Ebay for the 760 or 780 nuvi. You wont be disappointed.

I have a nuvi 780. After spending a lot of time messing with them I really like the Nuvi's better than the competing brands. I had a 350 before going to the 780. Garmin makes a great product and it comes loaded with extras. Mine has bluetooth, mp3 player, route planner/optimizer, it gets live traffic updates. I deliver subpoenas as a second job so I use mine a lot to say the least. Do a search on Amazon or Ebay for the 760 or 780 nuvi. You wont be disappointed.

Can you pull the nuvi out of the car and go hiking with it, using it as a locator/directions/backtrack?

Switch to Sprint and get an Instinct....the turn-by-turn Navi is amazing.

not familiar with this phone, but overall, I agree. I use the built in Navi on my Blackberry with Turn by Turn, now and leave my Garmin 2620 at home. :D

on the phone, it's like $10mo, but it's all in one device, always with me, works in the car or when I'm on foot, uses very little power and has more points of interest than I can imagine finding. all integrated into my calender, contacts, etc....just like would be expected.

besides, in my case, I want to carry just one device and not have to worry about stowing the GPS.

not familiar with this phone, but overall, I agree. I use the built in Navi on my Blackberry with Turn by Turn, now and leave my Garmin 2620 at home. :D

on the phone, it's like $10mo, but it's all in one device, always with me, works in the car or when I'm on foot, uses very little power and has more points of interest than I can imagine finding. all integrated into my calender, contacts, etc....just like would be expected.

besides, in my case, I want to carry just one device and not have to worry about stowing the GPS.

My thoughts exactly. The Instinct has built in GPS Navi, no $/mo.

I was going to make a thread like this but one was already made. At least I search =)

Well I have a cheap one I bought on sale at meijer. It is perfect if you know an actual address. Type it in and away you go. If you miss a turn it will recalculate your directions on the fly.

There is a POI search where you can type in something like "walmart or speedway" and it will find the store close to you. Problem with mine is most of the things I type in it won't find. Even more so as your typing in a name of a business it will start taking letters away as it "auto finds" what you are searching for. Most of the time it finds a business with a name that are close to my search words but no fucking way close to what I actual want. I really want to sell my GPS just because of this.

My mom has a tom tom and it does the same thing but it finds what I want. I only used it a few times but I never could not find what I wanted.

There is no monthly fees with either of them. I think you can update maps on the Tom Tom but on mine you can't update anything =(

Garmin. I've purchased several of their units for family members and myself after reading a shit ton of reviews. Came down to TOM-TOM or Garmin, and I went garmin every time cause I got a good deal on em. I've heard nothing but good about both brands though. Kind of can't live without it now. So lazy, and awesome. Just be sure to update your maps every year. No monthly fees or anything, unless you do the live traffic updates, which would be nice, but they want too much. I bought the text to speech unit for myself at a small premium, and to be honest I wish I would've just saved myself the extra cash, it can barely pronounce the street names anyway. "Turn Left" or "Turn Right" would've been fine.

Garmin. I've purchased several of their units for family members and myself after reading a shit ton of reviews.

Another boost for Garmin....customer service. I've been to their office in KS and used their telephone support. Top notch people.

They upgraded my 2620 warranty to a full 5 years due to some issues with earlier units and the touch screen. I found this out on an unrelated support call too. New documentation in the main within days. Again, great company.

Can you pull the nuvi out of the car and go hiking with it, using it as a locator/directions/backtrack?

My Nuvi does. It has a built in feature called "where am I" that allows you to use the nuvi to navigate back to your car if your lost at the mall (or whatever). It claims to be accurate up to 10 ft. Not sure how well it works, I've never used it. If your taking this back packing you'd be better off using a device loaded with topographic maps designed for such a thing.

The garmin I have does have a battery with decent life if you want to walk around with it. The battery life isn't really comparable to a handheld one though. You could make due by turning it on for a few minutes and find where you are and just head in a general direction I guess.