Attention Techs and/or Honda peeps, Need help with my Mom's Civic.

SpaceGhost

Car will not start, Battery was replaced 2-3 Months ago, All lights and stuff work when turning the car on, but no start. I think it's a Starter, would that be most likely the issue? Car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX, 5 Speed Manual. Anyone know how much a Starter is for one of these cars? Someone has had to replace a Starter in one of these on here. Is it easy? I'm hoping to do this myself. Thanks for the info in advance.

Ok SO I called Autozone and a Starter is $119.99 with a $62 core charge In stock. Can this be had cheaper somewhere else? Also I asked and the relay is a Dealer item only.

Ok Called Roush Honda, $264.64 with a $60 core, and the main relay is $48.32 and not returnable if not needed. Both are not in stock.

So would you buy the Autozone Starter or is the "Honda" starter worth the extra cash. My Mom will be keeping this car for quite a while (like at least 5 years or more) so that kinda matters.

Any ideas on an even cheaper Starter?

Possibly a security or ignition related issue. Does it have a security light in the dash? If so what does it do? Does the starter click? Depending on model the starter may be pretty easy to get to, simplist thing would be to check voltage at the starter while attempting to crank.

As for actually buying a starter, I have always had good luck using NAPA's line, but I usually buy from places you can't. Advanced and Autozone is just a crap shoot, a lot of their stuff is decent but you nevr know. So much of it is made in China anymore. If it's not too hard to change I'd just buy whatever has a lifetime warranty.

Ok SO I called Autozone and a Starter is $119.99 with a $62 core charge In stock. Can this be had cheaper somewhere else? Also I asked and the relay is a Dealer item only.

Ok Called Roush Honda, $264.64 with a $60 core, and the main relay is $48.32 and not returnable if not needed. Both are not in stock.

So would you buy the Autozone Starter or is the "Honda" starter worth the extra cash. My Mom will be keeping this car for quite a while (like at least 5 years or more) so that kinda matters.

Any ideas on an even cheaper Starter?

I can get ahold of parts here, gimme an hour or so and I can PM you a price. When I owned my accord the common problem was a distributor on them. I'm not sure if the civic is a kin to it, but it would crank without starting.

No, she has an after market Alarm and it works fine.

There is a realy in those that can burn out too. You should check voltage at the starter.

Also I have seen the safty switch go bad, so see if it starts in neutral, just a long shot but simple to check.

Does the starter relay click when you try to start it? You can also probe to see if there is voltage at the relay or starter while trying to crank it.

I really haven't seen it myself yet, just going by what my Mom has told me. All she said was no noise at all when she goes to start it, but al the lights and HVAC blower are working when you turn the key. The car is 10 years old.

New info, She told me this morning that it grinds now when she tries to start it. I talked to her lastnight, and now she tried to start it again this morning so now it is making noise.

You trying to relay here what's happening to a car being described to you over the phone by someone who (probably) doesn't know much about cars is probably going to get you nowhere fast. Go check the car out for yourself and see what it's doing. But also do what some of these other people said too (check voltage at the starter). And what Kenny said below.

You trying to relay here what's happening to a car being described to you over the phone by someone who (probably) doesn't know much about cars is probably going to get you nowhere fast.

I know this, but that would set me back a day most likely, this way I have a bunch of sugestions by the time I get off work and Go try to fix it. I need info first. BTW thanks to all that have posted so far. Big help. Thank You.

Keep the ideas coming please, I don't want to listen to my wife be mad because she has to take her to work in the morning much longer. Once is enough, trust me. :)