Mark II Supra ; Decent project car?

Tripleskate

As the title says, I found a Mark II for pretty damn cheap, even for my minimum wage making broke ass. I've done a bit a snooping around Supra forums to see if this car has potential. It would be a project car, most likely set up for doing corners 'round the track. Can these things make decent power on a budget?

google images search:

http://www.supra.co.nz/personal/Ewansmk2a.jpg

yeah, I say you do it.

edit: also this thing is fucking sexy

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1854/2381/4633690100_large.jpg

as far as racing potential i have no idea

eh.. great looking cars, worthless without a 2J swap though.

So the 5M-GTE that I have in mine is worthless? How about you actually research something and have an idea about what you're talking about before you spout off like an ignorant fuck.

the 5M that comes in them can make very respectable, and very fun power with a buget turbo kit; it's been done many times on http://www.celicasupra.com. If you want info on these cars, steer clear of Supraforums; you will get MUCH better information from CelicaSupra.

The MkIIs aren't the lightest car ever, but they're not pigs. The MkIII (sorry to anyone who has one) is the pig of all the generations.

If you need any info on MkIIs, just contact me. My dad and I have been building one since 2004. There's some pictures of it around the site. If you want to see the transformation, go here:

http://www.alexsuprasite.com/suprapics.htm

Poor car. Well, it was good looking, many, many years ago.

Poor car? What do you consider a poor car? You know, being as you own such a incredible car yourself. :rolleyes: Ignorant, opinionated statement. Yes, I'm being defensive. No duh. lol

Anyway, if you want the car and it's a good price, do it. They have large engine bays due to the inline 6, are relatively light and rear wheel drive. The seats actually one awards for their design/comfort. Many people swap the motor to a 1j or 7m though there are some who enjoy modding the 5m, ie; Alex (Firehead Studios) We also know quite a few people with them including those w/motor swaps right here in Ohio. I've seen some MKII's that just look fuckin spectacular once cleaned up properly.

FYI - I weighed my MKIII with 3/4 tank of gas, full interior including full size spare and an auto tranny and it weighed out at 3620 give or take 20lbs. Yes, they're pretty heavy. Mostly due to the suspension subframes needed for the suspension. I'd love someone to build a titanium or aluminum subframes. Still not a problem when there are people putting down 700+ on stock bottom ends on the 7m. Weight? No problem. Add more power and keep it comfy. :D

It's interesting how everytime a supra thread comes up inquiring about how to mod 2jz gets spouted off really quick. Nothing wrong with the 7m, 1jz, or the 5m for that matter, 2jz is a little over rated imo. Look into the aftermarket for the 5m and compare it to the other motors and make your decision that way.

It's kinda like how everyone with a 240sx pees their pants over a SR20, when the KA motor has just as much potential.

I think the MKII's are pretty neat, not my style, but they can make good power, but Supra's tend to have a heritage of straight line racing. Props for wanting to tackle the corners..

So the 5M-GTE that I have in mine is worthless? How about you actually research something and have an idea about what you're talking about before you spout off like an ignorant fuck.

Let me tell you something- Before you get up in arms about my comment, realize that I have been a Toyota enthusiast before your balls dropped.

Hell, I even remember when the Supra was put to an end for the U.S. and even being upset by it. I'm 22 now and that would have made me about ohhh,.. 11-12 years old? And you were how old?

Honestly, I could probably tell you more about your MA61 than you'll probably ever care to know. BTW, I hope you changed your valve seals :).

Sure, the 5M can make respectable power.. you're making what, around 200hp with your simple turbo kit? :rolleyes: Unless you've got something other than an itty-bitty CT26 you're not going to get too far. Of course there are always the Hybrid CT26s, but most have minimal gains without much modification to the housing itself.

Are you really asking me why I think the 5M is just about worthless? Do you really think an obsolete Toyota 5M will ever be on the same level as any J series? The 7M is respectable as well, but still not the same as any J.

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect you and your dad for restoring your MA61, because it's a great looking car.

*edit* FYI, I'm still no expert by any means, but I feel I'm only pointing out the obvious.

It's interesting how everytime a supra thread comes up inquiring about how to mod 2jz gets spouted off really quick. Nothing wrong with the 7m, 1jz, or the 5m for that matter, 2jz is a little over rated imo. Look into the aftermarket for the 5m and compare it to the other motors and make your decision that way.

It's kinda like how everyone with a 240sx pees their pants over a SR20, when the KA motor has just as much potential.

I think the MKII's are pretty neat, not my style, but they can make good power, but Supra's tend to have a heritage of straight line racing. Props for wanting to tackle the corners..

There are some really impressive examples, but I can agree with the SR20 being swapped into the 240sx.. it's just the fact that we never got them in the states(for the most part) that people get all excited about them.

While the 2J is played out, hands down, it's an amazing piece of engineering given its age now.

As for me, I'll keep fappin' it to my 4A :)

I understand what you were saying Andrew, I just hate it when people jump right to the 2JZ conclusion, or say that is the only way to have fun with these cars. The 2JZ swap isn't the most cost effective way, or the most logical thing to do with these cars. The 7M swap is.

Also, you're not THAT much older than I am either. Granted, you have been into Toyotas longer than I have probably.

Let me tell you something- Before you get up in arms about my comment, realize that I have been a Toyota enthusiast before your balls dropped.

Hell, I even remember when the Supra was put to an end for the U.S. and even being upset by it. I'm 22 now and that would have made me about ohhh,.. 11-12 years old? And you were how old?

Honestly, I could probably tell you more about your MA61 than you'll probably ever care to know. BTW, I hope you changed your valve seals :).

Sure, the 5M can make respectable power.. you're making what, around 200hp with your simple turbo kit? :rolleyes: Unless you've got something other than an itty-bitty CT26 you're not going to get too far. Of course there are always the Hybrid CT26s, but most have minimal gains without much modification to the housing itself.

Are you really asking me why I think the 5M is just about worthless? Do you really think an obsolete Toyota 5M will ever be on the same level as any J series? The 7M is respectable as well, but still not the same as any J.

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect you and your dad for restoring your MA61, because it's a great looking car.

*edit* FYI, I'm still no expert by any means, but I feel I'm only pointing out the obvious.

The stock ct26 is good for 12's and about 350hp. Of course, that can vary greatly. A 57 trim is capable of 400+. Stock housing with is being bored to fit the wheel, of course. These are round about figures. It's fun to work with what you got (his 5m or my 7m), especially when everyone else is throwing something else in there.

And don't try and pull that "older than you" crap with me, either. ;)

Poor car? What do you consider a poor car? You know, being as you own such a incredible car yourself. :rolleyes: Ignorant, opinionated statement. Yes, I'm being defensive. No duh. lol

Anyway, if you want the car and it's a good price, do it. They have large engine bays due to the inline 6, are relatively light and rear wheel drive. The seats actually one awards for their design/comfort. Many people swap the motor to a 1j or 7m though there are some who enjoy modding the 5m, ie; Alex (Firehead Studios) We also know quite a few people with them including those w/motor swaps right here in Ohio. I've seen some MKII's that just look fuckin spectacular once cleaned up properly.

FYI - I weighed my MKIII with 3/4 tank of gas, full interior including full size spare and an auto tranny and it weighed out at 3620 give or take 20lbs. Yes, they're pretty heavy. Mostly due to the suspension subframes needed for the suspension. I'd love someone to build a titanium or aluminum subframes. Still not a problem when there are people putting down 700+ on stock bottom ends on the 7m. Weight? No problem. Add more power and keep it comfy. :D

Not poor as in value, I meant it in reference to the color of thing. Vommit yellow is not the best color to choose to surround an engine that neat.

:D

~Edit~

Duh, I know me and my car are slow ;)