HellBender @ The Dragon

ReconRat

Just curious if anyone has ridden this road. State Route 28 from the South end of "The Tail of the Dragon", over to Walhalla, South Carolina. (Or 129 and 143 till it connects with 28.) Locals call it HellBender? 108 miles through the Nantahala Forest and some rugged mountains. It looks like a road route somebody would take to get to Myrtle Beach.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/nc28.html

Just curious if anyone has ridden this road. State Route 28 from the South end of "The Tail of the Dragon", over to Walhalla, South Carolina. (Or 129 and 143 till it connects with 28.) Locals call it HellBender?

Have ridden it hundreds of times.

The best stretch is from the bridge crossing just north of Fontana Village south to about Tuskeegee, NC.

It kind flattens out after that and becomes a heavily patroled 4 lane all the way down to the Route 19/74 junction. If you continue east on 19 / 74, 28 breaks off and goes south again at Lauada, NC. This i sprobably the best 20 miles or so in the country to ride. ShittyGixer had some issues with it last year, but it's still very good.

Would call it "rugged and mountainous" but it does wind through the hills and some deep green forests.

I'll see if I can find some pictures of the road.

28 from Franklin to Highlands, NC is a great road with lots of waterfalls and very narrow twisting lanes. Problem is that there is a lot of traffic heading to Highlands on the weekends as it's a tourist destination.

South of Highlands a ways - just after you leave Georgia and enter SC, the topography flatens out and it becomes just another country road. Pretty boring really.

But you can hit it on the way back home, too!