HDTV / Home Theater set up question

AI Coupe

I've read the instructions but don't see anything on how to play the HDTV (sports, movies) back through the 5.1 Home Theater.

The DVD's sound is awesome, CD's are too but shouldn't the HDTV be able to be played throught the systems 6 speakers as well?

Best Buy has a Samsung 5.1 1000 watt unit on sale (5 speakers, 1 sub) for $159 and although I know it probably doesn't compare to the high end units, this is plenty for the small room I have it set up in. No it's not Blue Ray, and it doesn't have a 5 disc changer but the combo with my 46" Panasonic 1080 is perfect for my viewing and listening. Watched WANTED last night and was blown away!

I think this is a great entry level system and the sound, as far as I can tell is worth every penny.

If you know how to solve this problem please let me know.

Happy holidays to you'all.

Ron

I'm sure you have your DVD player hooked up to the 5.1 receiver, but do you have the TV hooked up to it as well?

DVD player into 'DVD in'

TV into 'TV in'

???

thats what im thinking.

but still????

is the dvd/cd and reciever one unit?

the HDMI is a input only you if you are watching HD movies or sports from your cable provider you will have to do one of 2 things

1 have a HDMI go from your cable box to your receiver then to the TV but your reciever will have to have a HDMI in.

2 run the HDMI from your cable to your TV then a digital/optical audio out of the TV to the receiver.

the HDMI is a input only you if you are watching HD movies or sports from your cable provider you will have to do one of 2 things

1 have a HDMI go from your cable box to your receiver then to the TV but your reciever will have to have a HDMI in.

2 run the HDMI from your cable to your TV then a digital/optical audio out of the TV to the receiver.

Most cable boxes also have an optical out

To help narrow this down, this is what is on the back panel on the Home Theater unit.

FM antenna - no problem

Video out - now to the HDTV, see single wire question below

Ipod - no problem

"HDMI Out" - not currently used

"Component Out" - three RCA jacks labeled PR (red), PB (blue) and Y (green)

"AUX IN 2" - two RCA jacks labeled L (white) and R (red).

"Digital Audio In, Optical" - small square plug, no idea what this is for

2nd question... single video cable came with the Home Theater... should I run a HDMI cable from the Home Theater to the HDTV? Will the pic on DVD's inprove over the single wire cord?

Hope this helps. Remember I'm trying to get the HDTV to play through the 5.1.

Thanks again.

To help narrow this down, this is what is on the back panel on the Home Theater unit.

FM antenna - no problem

Video out - now to the HDTV, see single wire question below

Ipod - no problem

"HDMI Out" - not currently used

"Component Out" - three RCA jacks labeled PR (red), PB (blue) and Y (green)

"AUX IN 2" - two RCA jacks labeled L (white) and R (red).

"Digital Audio In, Optical" - small square plug, no idea what this is for

2nd question... single video cable came with the Home Theater... should I run a HDMI cable from the Home Theater to the HDTV? Will the pic on DVD's inprove over the single wire cord?

Hope this helps. Remember I'm trying to get the HDTV to play through the 5.1.

Thanks again.

with your receiver having the Digital Audio In, Optical" my receiver has the same connection you will either need a optical out on your TV or cable box to take advantage of 5.1 and that is if the channel/program you are watching is broadcast that way.

I have the same options on my box and only have a digital audio out on my TV. so I just ran the RCA's from the calble to the reciever for sound I have no sound coming from my TV.