Move over Smart, Toyota coming through.

Farkas

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/2010-toyota-iq-2.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/2010-toyota-iq-5.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/2010-toyota-iq-6.jpg

Article from:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-toyota-iq.htm

Consumer Guide’s Impressions of the 2010 Toyota iQ

Toyota is out to get Smart with a clever new microcar. Though designed for Europe and Japan, the iQ could come stateside with Scion badges to help us cope with soaring fuel prices and growing urban congestion.

What We Know About the 2010 Toyota iQ

As if to answer critics of its big, thirsty, and environmentally hostile trucks, Toyota is launching a thrifty Earth-friendly microcar called iQ. The petite two-door hatchback bowed as a concept at the autumn 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show in Germany and was shown in production trim at the March 2008 Geneva Auto Salon in Switzerland. Billed as an “intelligent solution to urban transport,” the iQ was designed at Toyota’s ED2 studio in southern France, but will be built in Japan starting late this year. Toyota hopes to sell 100,000 in 2009. Europe and Japan are the intended markets, but the iQ is being whispered for U.S. sale as a 2010 model. If it comes here, it would be our market’s first direct alternative to the Smart ForTwo from Mercedes-Benz parent Daimler AG, a car generating much interest amid soaring fuel prices and a worsening economy.

The 2010 Toyota iQ uses a new, dedicated architecture and differs from the Smart in many ways despite a similar phone-booth silhouette and wheels way out at the corners. Where the German-brand mini drives its rear wheels with a small 3-cylinder engine mounted in back, the iQ has an up-front engine and front-wheel drive. The Toyota is also larger than the Smart, standing some 10 inches longer, nearly five inches wider, and 2.4 inches lower on a 4.7-inch-longer wheelbase. These larger dimensions combine with several packaging innovations to make the iQ a nominal four-passenger runabout versus the two-seat Smart. Toyota says the interior furnishes “3+1” accommodation, with room for one adult behind the front passenger and a second rear seat that can carry a small child or be folded up for cargo.

Toyota has yet to disclose full specifications, but says the iQ will initially offer a choice of two gasoline engines, likely a 3- and 4-cylinder, and a small diesel. A gas/electric option a la Toyota’s Prius hybrid is expected around 2010 or ’11. For the U.S., however, a 2010 Toyota iQ would likely use the 1.5-liter 4-cylinder gas engine that powers Toyota’s larger Yaris subcompact, if only because the two models have similar-size engine bays. Transmission? We’d look for a Smart-like 5-speed automated manual to maximize fuel economy and to please mostly shift-averse Americans.

Standard and optional equipment are still unconfirmed too, but the 2010 Toyota iQ should also follow the Smart in having standard side airbags, ABS, traction control, and maybe even an antiskid system. Like Daimler, Toyota sees its urban car not as a spartan price-leader but as a sophisticated, well-equipped vehicle for socially conscious trend setters. The iQ concept suggested this by sporting upscale features such as an audio/navigation system with heads-up display and steering-wheel controls, plus a large glass sunroof. We see both items as candidates for the showroom. Ditto 16- and 17-inch wheels, as well as jazzy trim options. We’ll be monitoring details as they’re released, so keep checking back with us for late news.

The 2010 Toyota iQ would likely get the 1.5-liter four-cylinder from Toyota's larger Yaris subcompact. The concept, which was unveiled in Europe, is shown here.

A Notable Feature of the 2010 Toyota iQ

Toyota says the iQ represents a “major milestone” in its vehicle development thinking, as engineers worked from the inside out to maximize room within this very small package. The company points to several space-saving innovations, starting with a smaller front differential that allows optimal powertrain positioning in concert with a new “center-point” steering gear. A compact flat fuel tank tucks safely beneath the rear floor. The heating/air conditioning components were also redesigned to be less intrusive without compromising function. That, in turn, allowed using a slim-line dashboard/center console that sweeps away so front occupants can sit further forward without being cramped. Doing so leaves room behind for an average adult on the passenger side and for the child-size “jump” seat on the driver’s side. Special slim-line front seatbacks and heavy use of electronic components also conserve space in the “3+1” cabin.

Discuss...

If it does come with the engine from Toyota's larger Yaris cousin, then you're looking at about 100hp in that little thing. The interior looks pretty futuristic, maybe a bit much for me, but hard to say anything because stuff is always watered down before it comes to US market. The idea that it can sit 3 full sized adults and one small child is incredible though, and one-up over the smart car.

Also the idea to put the hybrid motor in it from the Prius is a great idea, IMO.

No way that car can be safe....

If i bought a car like that, I would not be looking for power numbers. I'd want to know what kind of fuel economy they are expecting?

Well, the Smart car is safe? I'm sure Toyota can pull off safety just as well. It even states they're going for the same safety measures that Smart took and applying it to the iQ.

I saw on another website projected number of 60-70MPG depending on motor.

Discuss...

If it does come with the engine from Toyota's larger Yaris cousin, then you're looking at about 100hp in that little thing. The interior looks pretty futuristic, maybe a bit much for me, but hard to say anything because stuff is always watered down before it comes to US market. The idea that it can sit 3 full sized adults and one small child is incredible though, and one-up over the smart car.

Also the idea to put the hybrid motor in it from the Prius is a great idea, IMO.

Mine would fit two adults, a small child, and an air to water intercooler. :eek:

What a sleeper that would be.

meh....but at least if you die in a wreck, they can pretty much bury you in the car.

no way I would put my own ass in something that small, let alone one of my kids. makes my car look like a tank :o

I don't care what they say about safety....there's not enough crumple zone to absorb the impact of a bad wreck, thus, say hello to your future resting spot.

I suggest you watch this.

looked like that driver's legs got shortened....

I don't care how many stars they get. Physics says that a smart car loses against a GMC Suburban. Even if the car manages to keep from getting crushed, the G forces experienced by the "smart" driver are way larger than the forces on the other driver.

looked like that driver's legs got shortened....

I don't care how many stars they get. Physics says that a smart car loses against a GMC Suburban. Even if the car manages to keep from getting crushed, the G forces experienced by the "smart" driver are way larger than the forces on the other driver.

werd, you dont just go from 70 to a stop in that car, you go 70 to like -20 since it bounces haha.

even the safety test people say youd be better off driving something bigger

werd, you dont just go from 70 to a stop in that car, you go 70 to like -20 since it bounces haha.

I think the off-set crashed need to be done at more than 40mph too. I mean in the real world when cars cross the median and strike another car, I believe the impact of the two traveling in opposite directions, typically at speed, is going to be far greater than 40mph.

No way, no how....

I've seen a few of those putting along 270 on the westside. I keep waiting for a strong wind to blow them off the road. I can't believe a grown adult wold buy something so ridiculous. It doesn't really get much if any better fuel economy than a Civic/Ect. They aren't that cheap either.

Its basically some novelty for people that CAN afford an SUV and the associated gas buy to be trendy...