Apartment decision....

mmrmnhrm

As the housing market sucks and more people loose there homes, apartment rates will go up because of the increase in demand. You always see your best apartment rates and specials when the housing market is doing well and people are buying more houses. Basic supply and demand.

im hoping i can get a decent settlement from a car accident by the time my lease is up in may, so i can put down a good chunk for a house. my rent is pretty reasonable (under 600 for a 1,000 sq/ft 2 bed 2 full bath and a balcony) but id like to buy instead of rent for another year.

(this is Derek's wife)

I work for a real estate market research company and we survey apartments across the country on a daily basis. There is actually a high vacancy rate among your typical apartment complexes and many of them are offering reduced rents right now. This is because of the amount of job loss, people cannot afford the market rents. The only complexes we are seeing low vacancy in is income restricted apartments where your income cannot exceed a restricted amount in order to qualify.

Our company is actually struggling right now because the basis of our work is apartment research and the demand is just not there right now for people to need our services.

Get your own login?

:p

KillJoy

See, I have one, and it worked fine until the rule where you have to greet a million people before you can post, then it stopped working. (WTF Anthony?)

And we only have one computer, so instead of logging out, I just post under Derek's name, even though he hates it.

:D

See, I have one, and it worked fine until the rule where you have to greet a million people before you can post, then it stopped working. (WTF Anthony?)

And we only have one computer, so instead of logging out, I just post under Derek's name, even though he hates it.

:D

What is the name of that account? :D

KillJoy

Rent or buy a house, don't live in an apartment.

What's the difference between renting a house and renting an apartment? Renting is renting. Or, are you meaning there are advantages to renting a house (e.g., more space, more privacy, more distance from neighbors) that make it more appealing than renting an apartment?

What's the difference between renting a house and renting an apartment? Renting is renting. Or, are you meaning there are advantages to renting a house (e.g., more space, more privacy, more distance from neighbors) that make it more appealing than renting an apartment?

Garage.

Really depends on the apartment, what your short/medium term plans are, and what the housing market is like. I'm always hearing the "Renting is stupid, you're throwing money away!" line, but they fail to take into account the fact that as a renter, you don't pay for common repairs (leaky faucets, blocked drains, roof/siding, etc), you don't pay property tax, and often don't pay water/trash/sewer. Landscaping is generally taken care of, as is snow clearing. The New York Times has a pretty nice calculator w/ graphic to see where you'd break even. Suffice to say, with the housing market as it is, my "break-even" point is nearly 20 years out. By then, I expect to be screening my kids' dates, possibly halfway around the world.

My wife and I lived in Naples, FL for three years (2005-2008) and rented the entire time. I could've easily bought a house, but I knew the "balloon" real estate market was just too high for me to get into.

When we decided to move back to C'bus earlier this year, it was obviously the smartest decision I made (renting, not buying) as we were out of our lease...NOTHING out of pocket...in 30 days. As nice as people think FL is, the economy is absolute shit and I know people stuck in FL that cannot move because they are so upside down on their mortgage and they cannot sell their house.

The "You're throwing your money away!" argument for renting vs. buying died in 2006 when the bubble burst. Unless you KNOW the home you are buying will work in your lifestyle for the next 10+ years (figuring kids, job, marital status), then keep on renting!!!

The "You're throwing your money away!" argument for renting vs. buying died in 2006 when the bubble burst. Unless you KNOW the home you are buying will work in your lifestyle for the next 10+ years (figuring kids, job, marital status), then keep on renting!!!

I can't hit the plus sign followed by a number one any more emphatically right now.

Chris, if you were to buy a house where your 10-15 year mortgage payment were the same as the rent you are currently paying, You would be way ahead in just a few years. The best thing you could do is buy that same home, rent it to someone else at a higher rate than you pay for the mortgage, and once it's paid off move into it. Nothing better than using other peoples money to buy something you want.

rent to own a house is your best bet right now. Idk about columbus but in phoenix the housing market is crap and Im living in a 6 br, 3 full bath 4,000sq ft house with 3 roomates and we each pay only 400 a month with utilities included. I wish I could buy this house its so nice.

Garage.

I rent an apartment and it has an attached garage.....

we found an apartment appealing right now becuase we both work and have two very young kids when you don't have to mow shovel snow etc.... it leaves that time free for other family type stuff....

Apartments suck.

I'm stuck living in my wife's condo right now (am renting my house to my old roomate and a couple of his buddies). We have a very nice condo, but a deep 1 car garage, going up 2 flights of stairs to get into the place, and having neighbors sucks.

Apartments suck.

I'm stuck living in my wife's condo right now (am renting my house to my old roomate and a couple of his buddies). We have a very nice condo, but a deep 1 car garage, going up 2 flights of stairs to get into the place, and having neighbors sucks.

Agreed, neighbors suck, or usually suck, anyways.

Disagreed that apartments suck. Mine doesn't.

And guess what else doesn't suck? Being able to walk away when my lease is up.

Not trying to debate which is better, apartments or homes. In fact, I don't think there's even much of a debate there. Just saying apartments don't suck.

There are definite advantages to both and the person who is in the position to move has to do the pros and cons to both to determine which is best for them right now. I like my house but damn when crap breaks or I want to do a project sometimes I wish I still rented because if I were I'd call a landlord when something broke and I'd never think of improving a place I wasn't paying for to own.

Apartments can suck but I think it depends on the neighbors ultimately, shitty neighbors hour or apartment make it a less then pleasing experience. Joe has one of the most in your face bitch of a neighbor one could have and he owns a house...haha So you can have a crappy experience in a house or a apartment. I'm lucky to have decent neighbors on the sides of me but the one whore at the end of the street whose dogs shit in my yard needs to die!!