Looking At Buying A Handgun

konig_twinkies

This will be my first purchase so I have been searching the internet to see whats out there and such. I came across the Kimber stainless TLE/RL II™ .45acp and think I may be going with that. I wanted to see peoples thoughts who have more knowledge about firearms then I do. Also where is a good/reasonably priced place to get one? Thanks for all the help

Had a pistol as you describe but non-stainless. Sold it to a buddy to put cash towards another firearm. I've been trying to buy it back ever since.

The only product I have from the now is a Pro CDP II. I certainly don't regret the purchase.

A place-to-purchase option would be Blackwing Shooting Center. They also have, I'm pretty sure, that exact pistol over at the rental counter. Among many others that you could try to get a better idea of what you may or may not like.

My personal opinion: There's much better 1911s out there for your money than a Kimber.

Come on man. Don't throw out that statement without providing an example of said 1911's. Every other asshat on the internet can do that, be better! :bangbang:

What will be the guns primary use ? Does it have to be a 1911 ?

Personally I always recommend Glock. I have not yet had a bad experience with a Glock to date, countless rounds fired. Though its hard to beat the reliability, and easy of use of a revolver.

you think vances is in "the hood"? lol. granted, its not new albany, but its not parsons ave either.

but ill throw in another vote for an M&P compact. ive got the 9mm and i love it. comptac m-tac IWB holster ftw.

Dude vances is in a more hood neighborhood than parsons.

Come on man. Don't throw out that statement without providing an example of said 1911's. Every other asshat on the internet can do that, be better! :bangbang:

I have to agree with Austin on this. Kimberly's are bottom of the barrel for non-USGI style 1911's. There have been many stories of them not running with a shit, and the slides never lining up with the frame. If they can't even take the time to make the parts fit right on a ~$1,000 gun, what can you expect out of the rest of it?

A price range would be very helpful, as well as goals. If you want something that will always run, go with something in USGI spec (like an RIA or Springer GI).

On the cheap end of the "semi-custom" route (which is where Kimber falls) is the STI Spartan. It's in the $600-$700 range and suppose to be great. Next step up would be Wilson, which I THINK starts around $1500 and goes up to somewhere around the Mir space station.

Of course there are other brands out there, but for the different price ranges, those seem to be accepted as the smart choices. I personally have an RIA and I couldn't be more happy. It would be my carry gun if it was a compact instead of a fullsize, it's been dead reliable and still more accurate than I am. Pricewise, it's just under the Springer GI, if you can find them.

I am torn between the Kimber and the Wilson CQB Tactical LE. The Wilson would depend on what kind of deal I could get. From reading on different sites the Wilson is night and day compared to other brands. I am the kind of person who would rather buy once so I am leaning Wilson now

I am torn between the Kimber and the Wilson CQB Tactical LE. The Wilson would depend on what kind of deal I could get. From reading on different sites the Wilson is night and day compared to other brands. I am the kind of person who would rather buy once so I am leaning Wilson now

Kimber shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Wilson. Really, if both are an option, then one is the obvious clear winner.

Get the Wilson. If you can't afford the Wilson, find one of these:

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.html

Seriously.

I got my bonus today and it was not as big as I thought it would be, so the Wilson will be on hold but a def down the road purchase. Probably just get a Kimber for now

That always happens to me, think the bonus or commisions check is going to be bigger and then you get it and BAM, insta depression :(

Let me know if mine interests you.

I got my bonus today and it was not as big as I thought it would be, so the Wilson will be on hold but a def down the road purchase. Probably just get a Kimber for now

Tell you what. I'm probably going to be at Blackwing here in a bit, I'll see what they've got and post it up.

Don't worry about the Kimber hate. I know at least 20 guys with Kimbers who have had nothing but praise for them. All these guys in their 40's or older and lifelong shooters.