2 car garage heat, propane vs. kerosene?

i got a pretty cool gift for christmas today, however i am unsure about keeping it. i was given a kerosene heater for my garage. i have only had experience with the propane ones. what is the overall thought here, should i keep it or return it for a propane one?

thanks.

Depending on how much you actually use the heater, and the type of heater it is affects which one is a better choice. If you only use it a few times a year, it doesnt seem worth it to get a tank, have it filled, and run a line. However if it is used frequantly, I would assume propane would eventually be a wiser way to go based on price.

I heated my old shop with Kerosene/Diesel everyday. Cost me 20 a day to do it but it worked very well.

I ran Diesel must of the time because it actually seemed to burn hotter. And to top it off, it seemed like it burned cleaner.

Either way go with Forced Air, it will do the best for you which ever route you take.

When it comes to clean burn I myself having the option would use Propane. You can go to TSC and buy a 40lbs Tank, versus the 20lbs that you use for grills. And if you have a Flying J, or a Propane fill station near you, its a hell of a lot cheaper to refill then exchange.

For example when I refill my tank for the grill it cost me $9.00 vs. $20.00 to exchange.

I have a salamander heater i got off of Jason(WNAPLAY) a couple years back and love it. Mine is a 3.5 car garage and will have you hot in a tee shirt in 30 mins or so. Its meant for kerosene but i run diesel in it with no problems other than a little stank.

I have a salamander heater i got off of Jason(WNAPLAY) a couple years back and love it. Mine is a 3.5 car garage and will have you hot in a tee shirt in 30 mins or so. Its meant for kerosene but i run diesel in it with no problems other than a little stank.

Thats funny you say that. I just edited my post to actually answer the OP's question. And I experience diesel to burn cleaner. Mine was also a brand new $500.00 unit. It used an actual glow plug rather then the older ignition.

I have a sears salamander that I used to run kerosene in, after a while you start to get light headed, I switched over to diesel at the beginning of winter, the diesel burns cleaner, no headaches and I think it heats better on diesel