Car wont start

ttemper

I left my head lights on for about forty minutes today... Well, I walked out the front door and saw my lights were still on.. They were still bright, and had not been left on that long so I figured my car would start..... Wrong

the car will turn over and make a really loud clicking noise but won't start. The lights and power locks and cd player still works, but the car wont fire. my car has done this once before, but, a loose battery terminal was the culprit. i had auto zone test the battery about a month ago when it wouldnt start, and everything came back fine, so i'm just trying to figure out what the problem is. the terminals were screwed on tight so i'm not sure what the deal is.

i know the battery is at least 2 years old, because i havent changed it since i bought the car. i think it's a honda oem battery, which means it's probably been in the car since 02.

if the battery was shot, the lights and accessories wouldnt function, right?

i don't have any other vehicles so i cant take the battery to have auto zone to test it again. any input would be greatly appreciated!

it does sound as thought the battery is drained low enough that it cant start the car. normaly a battery is really only good for around 5 years depending on how it was maintained thru out its life, such as if battery was drained and recharged mutiple times, large stereos, high loads, or bad alternator and starter. these all can shorten the life of a battery. you say it may be o.e. well then you got little over 6 yrs out of it which is good. you can try to recharge the battery on a slow charge and it may work for awhile but under really cold temps like we've had probably not. understand one thing though, if you jump start the car without charging the battery any. the alternator may charge the battery some but you are putting a large strain on your charging system and the intent of the alternator is not to charge the battery but to maintain the battery voltage. so say your battery voltage was 10 volts and you drove it the alt. only knows it needs to charge battery 10 volts and it knows this thru the voltage regulator inside the alternator in most cars. hope this helped you. and if you have any ?'s fell free to call me 614-556-2401 im jimmy good luck man!