College 529 or alternative??

Putty

So I have the little girl on the way. I guess it's time for me to start a savings plan for her. I am slightly familiar with the 529 plan. Are there any others? Pros/cons? Does money go in these weekly or monthly?

The 529 is a protected college plan.

My grandparents played in the stock market for part of my college fund, and my mom just did an annuity for me for money. None of those are protected, so quite a few thousands of dollars were lost in this last year. At least two full years of tuition at OSU is gone now.

Play the stock game

CD's

Annuities

Bonds

I think the minimum is 25 instead of 10. Maybe not, I'm not 100% on that.

Playing in the market a LITTLE is probably still a good idea when the economy starts to rebound. My grandparents did EXTREMELY well in the market before the crash. Before the crash they had enough money for more than half of my tuition for 4 years of school.

Here is the thing I have noticed for a while now. Lots of people give advice to invest in the stock market, but if the market crashes the day you need the money you are screwed.

My Education IRA and 529, are tax sheltered and should be worth atleast 2 years of tuition but who knows.