totalled or ?

Jonan1647545505

ok need some input here. my lil bro (18) got a 95 camaro z28 not to long ago (3monthsish) and got tboned on polaris near maxtown. beautiful car, used to be a show car only had like 100k on it super clean in and out. engine was stock but had all sorts of bolt ons, headers, intake, full exhaust, some sort of programmer, im sure other stuff too that he/i didnt know about, suspension mods, wheels, etc. he got a loan, actually mom did, he was paying the note. thats how i bought my first car, only i bought an exploder. anyway, the loan was for $7800, i asked him at xmas what it was booked at he said $4500. i immediately asked if he had gap ins he said wtf is that?! he obviously had full coverage 100/300/100. both him and the lady are fine btw.

the lady that hit him was at fault, he was obeying the law, she turned left into him and pushed him up over the curb. car is gone now. he and the lady both have statefarm. my bro and mom are waiting to see what happens and i dont want him to get dicked over on this. ive never seen him happier since the divorce he even got a second job to pay for ins and gas! i really think this car was what he needed to steer him in the right direction, responsibility wise for life.

input thoughts ideas help info?? is he just screwed with the loan? should he get the car back and try and part it out? find a shell and swap everything?

thanks

b4:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/elfboy98/b4.jpg

after:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/elfboy98/after.jpg

Doesn't look that bad... If there isn't any frame damage (or just a little), it should be fixable. If it is, then her insurance will cover it and you're good to go. If they do total it, you can buy it back and try to get it fixed for the money you got. Might cost more than the 'value' of the car, but the insurance co will kick a little extra for 'pain and suffering' almost automatically, so hopefully that is the extra $$ needed to repair the car (or to pay off the loan).

Start looking for comparable cars for sale on ebay and traderonline (or any other place listing a car like that one). Look on KBB and Edmunds and get the market value established for that car in that condition. Book value can be way high or low depending on the specific car. Do your homework and be prepared with documentation to backup what you want to see for the car.

Crappy situation - glad everyone is OK. Good luck to you and your brother!

oh yeah they said one of the pillars was done. does a damaged pillar = totalled car??

Doesn't look that bad... If there isn't any frame damage (or just a little), it should be fixable. If it is, then her insurance will cover it and you're good to go. If they do total it, you can buy it back and try to get it fixed for the money you got. Might cost more than the 'value' of the car, but the insurance co will kick a little extra for 'pain and suffering' almost automatically, so hopefully that is the extra $$ needed to repair the car (or to pay off the loan).

Start looking for comparable cars for sale on ebay and traderonline (or any other place listing a car like that one). Look on KBB and Edmunds and get the market value established for that car in that condition. Book value can be way high or low depending on the specific car. Do your homework and be prepared with documentation to backup what you want to see for the car.

Crappy situation - glad everyone is OK. Good luck to you and your brother!

My Brother-In-Law just got hit in his wifes Galant.$3500.00 estimate to fix and KBB HIGH Dealer Retail is $5000.00.He is fighting with them to total it.They said cause it's under 100k mileage(it has 90k) they want to fix it.

Not bad??? That car is totaled... There is at least $5K in damage to the car if it's done buy a cheap shop... The whole car is tweaked... (notice how the T-Top and the rear hatch are pushed up??? And how far the rear quarter is pushed in???)

Now don't be too harsh on Matt. Most of us that road race are used to taking any twisted pile of junk and turning it into something that can be aligned (with coercion) and driven.

Regarding the insurance, as mentioned elsewhere, if you can get something to document the value of the car over book, like receipts or sales of comparably modded Camaro's you might have a chance. My son's old Neon was totalled and they offered $2100 for it but I was able to get $2700 for it by showing the receipts from the added parts. Plus, it helped that it was an ACR version so if this one is an SS or 1LE or has any option combo that would make it special, see if you can show that.

If they try to lowball you have an independent appraiser come and write something up. I had a buddy that had a bunch of stuff done to his S-10 and the insurance wanted to give him basically nothing because it was a 1992 with 130k. He ended up alright on it.