Holy shit balls I found a rotary I like

kenny

http://www.jpsnorton.com/images/432njkl43n24n32lk4n23k4l23n432lk/racebikes/rcw588b.jpg

http://www.jpsnorton.com/images/432njkl43n24n32lk4n23k4l23n432lk/racebikes/rcw588a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2OpjlYTHYk

and the new prototype

http://i41.tinypic.com/xnyuft.jpg

fap fap fap

also pic of my brothers bike since it was a convo with him that informed me of Norton's old school rotary bikes

http://i31.tinypic.com/o0pkw3.jpg

Edited by kenny

Technical Specification

Engine: Liquid pressure cooled twin-rotor rotary

Displacement: 588cc

Compression ratio: 9.2:1

Carburation: Twin amal smoothbores

Ignition: Norton "hall effect" triggered capacitor discharge

Gearbox: Five speed, constant mesh

Clutch: 20 plate "wet" clutch using sintered bronze friction plates and diaphragm spring

Power Output: More than 135 bhp at 9,800 rpm at shaft

Maximum torque: 77 lbs / ft at 8,000 rpm

Frame: Spondon twin spar aluminium

Brakes: Twin 320 mm front discs with four piston Lockheed calipers. Single 220 mm rear disc with twin piston Brembo caliper

Wheels: 3.5 x 17 three-spoke magnesium Dymag front wheel. 5.5 x 18 three-spoke magnesium rear wheel

Tyres: Dunlop radials

Weight: Less than 145 kgs

vs:

http://nortonracing.com/race/

fap fap fap

Edited by kenny

I always thought that it would be a good idea to have a wankel motorcycle, rev that sucker to the moon. Although that doesnt say where the redline is.

Does a rotary really have a redline? I mean... whats the point of a redline... to prevent you from spinning the thing to pieces due to extreme forces to rotational inertia... but what really prevents a rotary from spinning into R6 territory?

I for the first time in history, proclaim ignorance on this subject.

I always thought that it would be a good idea to have a wankel motorcycle, rev that sucker to the moon. Although that doesnt say where the redline is.

Peak power is @ 11,500rpm (on the new one, anyway).

Older one was around 10,000rpm.

This is pretty fucking cool,

THUNDERSPORT GB Round 9

Mallory Park 27/7/2008

The Norton NRV588 debut - what a crowd pleaser!

The debut of the Norton NRV588 rotary racer certainly managed to pull the crowds but didn't quite go as planned in the hands of Stanfree racer Lee Dickinson.

Qualifying

Dicko managed to qualify the NRV588 in fourth position on the grid just over half a second off pole setter Peter Ward.

Dicko said

To say it's the first competition that Norton have entered with this bike, and we have had limited testing, I am quite happy with that - although pole would have been nice!

Race

The team only just managed to get Dicko out. Hats off to them as they had a problem with one of the cooling fans at the end of qualifying and just got it back together in time. Dicko had already missed the warm up lap so he couldn't take up his fourth position on the grid and had to start from the back row in 30th place !

The lights changed and it was pole setter Peter Ward that got the holeshot with Gary May second. At the end of lap one Dicko was in 26th position and making places at every opportunity. By the start of lap eight Dicko was up to 8th place and was looking certain for a top four finish - maybe even the last step of the podium at a push. Then as Dicko turned into Edwina's chicane and flicked the bike right, getting on the throttle the rear tyre broke away and Dicko was down! The Norton debut was over.

The crash was caused by a stone puncturing the radiator, leaking water into the bottom of the bodywork then onto the back tyre.

Dicko said after the race

I am really disappointed, not just for me, but for everybody at Norton. I felt comfortable on the bike and was catching and passing people every lap. I felt after qualifying we were going to be on for a rostrum finish.

But with having to start from the back of the grid we made it a little harder for ourselves but I just kept my head down. We weren't even to half race distance when I stepped off it. I am sure we could have maybe jumped on the last step of the podium with a bit of luck: but it wasn't to be - not today anyway.

To say that it's a brand new project with not a lot of development been done so far, it's got huge potential. We've still got some work to do with the suspension settings. We've been trying different stuff all day.

There are two new bikes being built as we speak that are going to be better than the one we rode today. I am really looking forward to jumping on one of the new ones.

I can't wait!

I wonder how long it will take someone to call foul, Mazda 787B style. Assuming of course, Norton gets back into racing full time since we've got this lovely economy crisis.

Suzuki had a rotory back in the day. I heard they had to design some special exhaust because rotories get very hot, which seems like these dudes had a cooling problem too.

If the power drops drastically after peak, which is only 11,500....

I am not so impressed.

Suzuki had a rotory back in the day. I heard they had to design some special exhaust because rotories get very hot, which seems like these dudes had a cooling problem too.

If the power drops drastically after peak, which is only 11,500....

I am not so impressed.

Their problem was from a cooling fan which was repaired before the race. The crash was due to a hole in the radiator. For a first outing, shooting up to 8th place from dead last in a matter of laps is all kinds of impressive.

I just hope they actually make a return to road racing. It will be nice to see something different competing with the top dogs.

WSBK should prove interesting for that as well with the new BMWs.

Shit doesn't have enough power to drift, therefore he wouldn't be interested anyways.

Actually, it's my favorite bike.. More or less what Kenny's brother built, except a little bit more chrome pieces and a bunch of unique little things to set mine apart from the rest.

Actually, it's my favorite bike.. More or less what Kenny's brother built, except a little bit more chrome pieces and a bunch of unique little things to set mine apart from the rest.

Set it apart from the rest?

Find me another Thruxton with a 120 front and a 180 rear. http://r6-forumz.com/images/smilies/slap.gif

black > chrome

Chrome is for Harley guys, it's their motto "If it doesn't go fast, chrome it."