Trap/Skeet

Drewhop

Anyone shoot for sport or competition? Couple friends have wanted me to tag along and its been a while since I shot trap or skeet and only gun I have is a 870 20 guage pump. Which worked fine back then. But it only has a 26" barrell. Is a 28" barrell that much more accurate.

I cant afford a new gun just looking to make mine little more accurate.

Any input would be appreciated.

Well, I usually use a 30" barrel for trap and sporting clays. Give you a bit better "reach" and helps with your follow through swing.

Just choke down your 26" barrel and you should be fine.

I have full and modified chokes for the 870. If I am not mistaken I always used a full choke when I shot but it has been a while. Hell it only costs 10 bucks to go out and shoot a few shells might as well try both my chokes see which one I like better.

Has anyone done the woods type courses. Guess it is 50 birds. The course is set up so that there are 25 different angles that you shoot from 2 birds each stop. It is over near Coshocton.

I have full and modified chokes for the 870. If I am not mistaken I always used a full choke when I shot but it has been a while. Hell it only costs 10 bucks to go out and shoot a few shells might as well try both my chokes see which one I like better.

Has anyone done the woods type courses. Guess it is 50 birds. The course is set up so that there are 25 different angles that you shoot from 2 birds each stop. It is over near Coshocton.

I've done Sporting Clays in Sunbury for about 10 years now.

I have been shooting clays since I could shoot a gun, always loved it. I shoot a huglu over/under now, full range of choke tubes and I love it, its one of the best sporting clay, trap, skeet guns I have used. I do love my autos but when you reload my setups picking shells up at every station gets old quick. I enjoy the break action to keep track of my spent rounds for reloading. FYI we used to go to Briar Rabbit in Zanesville, not to far a drive from Cbus area, if its still open, been a few years since I visited but at last trip he had a really nice wobble trap setup, skeet, trap, a 50 round sporting clay course and a 100 round sporting clay course. 10 or 20 stands, single, report pair, double for a total of 5 birds a stand, lot of fun.

Yeah, over/unders are nice, I prefer autos, I had a Beretta 390 I loved but hated pickin up hulls all day, same deal with my Rem 1100. Its nice having 2 barrels to choose, little tighter choke for the farther shots and still have my up close skeet choke, depends on the course I am shooting. I got a new clay hawk thrower for xmas, 3/4 cocking that throws all forms of clays. Cant wait to get it out and do some shooting.

its all about how well you shoot. granted when your shooting trap it helps to have a little longer of a barrel but it all matters on what your comfortable with. if your more comfotable with a shorter barrel then go with it. unless you have time to go out and practice getting use to the new barrel, id just stick with what you have.

personally i prefer a browning xs skeet series its an over under you can have two chokes and you never have to change them. if you choke down your barrel you should have no problem.

plus all you'll have to switch is is the choke. not the entire barrel when you change from trap to skeet.