PS3 Players?

zeitgeist57

I received a PS3 for Christmas, and only recently started downloading a couple of demos. Anyone else play their PS3, especially some of the racing games?

I'm surprised by how much fun just the demos are, and I would like to get into some online playing...

I have a ps3 and I play more now than I ever have in the past, as for racing games the only 1 I have is need for speed undercover, my opinion the game is weak, but some good games are the call of duty games, resistance 1 and 2, mortal kombat vs. dc universe, guitar hero world tour is fun, lord of the rings conquest is cool, resident evil 5 will be out march 13th, another cool thing is after you beat a game you can download misc stuff to keep playing, example nascar 09 you can download some road courses, and paint schemes that the drivers had later in the season that didn't make the game

I'm looking at the PS3 for a Blu Ray Player.

- My current receivor (a Harmon Kardon 7.1 setup), can't decode, DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, and a couple other Blu Ray specific formats.

- As of PS3 Firmware 2.40, it can now decode DTS Master audio and pretty much everything else, and stream it via LPCM, so I could still use my current receivor and get all the good sound.

- For those with receivors that have all the decoding for the newest stuff, the PS3 is lacking the ability to bitstream DTS Master Audio.

At this point, I am still trying to decide what to do. I could upgrade receivors, and go with a cheaper Blu Ray player, though I may not like not having a 2.0 compliant unit (I'll have to do more research to decide). If I go with a 2.0 stand alone that has a built-in decoder, I start to approach used PS3 prices (within less than $100), and used 2.0 stand alones aren't going for much less than new.

From what I have researched so far, the PS3 will play burned Blu Ray movies, which still leaves the PS3 as an option (if it didn't, I wouldn't even consider it).

When my DVD player crapped out on me, I started looking into the PS3. After I read about the adaptive Blu Ray technology built into the PS3, I was sold. You could buy it simply as a Blu Ray / DVD / CD player and be getting your money's worth.

That said, the library of both downloadable titles via PSN and regular titles on disc is getting extensive with many quality games. The Call of Duty series, GTA IV, and the Guitar Hero series are just a few that I own and think are great. There are also lots of FPS titles out and still coming that are really pushing the envelope. Finally, you can download and rent movies/games all day long... especially since the PSN is a free service. Almost every game is multiplayer online too.

I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for either (or both) a great Blu Ray player and a next-gen game system.

Here's some quick reading and explanation of the Blu Ray support of the PS3, what the 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 versions are all about, and why the PS3 is one of your better buys for a Blu Ray player.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080118-new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.html

It may be on when I leave work. God I want to scream at children while running hail marys on 3rd and short.

I'm not 100% sure, but you should check out Circuit City for a good buy on the PS3. My GF and I just went there yesterday to beat them up on an HD TV.

Make sure you get the 80GB version, unless there is one with even more memory. Prior to Christmas I hadn't played console/PC games since before I moved to FL in 2005. A lot had changed. :) Downloading games FTW. I can demo all day long and not worry about getting my money's worth, and at this point I still haven't bought a game...just demos until I find a couple of winnars.

I'm going to throw it out there...I have been playing the demo for GTI Club+, and I swear it's an incredibly addictive racing game. Apparently, it's an HD-upgraded version of an old Konami coin-op, but I play the same Cote-d'Azur demo track with a VW GTI and I'm loving it. I wanted to see if anyone else might admit to trying this one out...

Make sure you get the 80GB version, unless there is one with even more memory. Prior to Christmas I hadn't played console/PC games since before I moved to FL in 2005. A lot had changed. :) Downloading games FTW. I can demo all day long and not worry about getting my money's worth, and at this point I still haven't bought a game...just demos until I find a couple of winnars.

I'm going to throw it out there...I have been playing the demo for GTI Club+, and I swear it's an incredibly addictive racing game. Apparently, it's an HD-upgraded version of an old Konami coin-op, but I play the same Cote-d'Azur demo track with a VW GTI and I'm loving it. I wanted to see if anyone else might admit to trying this one out...

Totally agree Clay; some of the games I've downloaded off the PSN (Wipeout HD, Pixeljunk games) are the most addictive. I just downloaded the GTI Club demo, and it's actually pretty cool.

I've heard swapping HDs is simple, but I was going for the 80gb.

It really is - it makes me happy too since I bought my 40GB model right before the new ones came out.

Here are some links on how to change out the HD; you can see for yourself how easy it is. You know it's great when the official site even explains how to do it with ease.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=362

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

Oh and if anyone is ever on PSN, my user name is Throttle_Inc. I'm always down for some COD4, GTAIV, or Guitar Hero III.

Almost grabbed Blitz too but figured I'd get good at NCAA and make children cry online first

If you have wifi where you live (and you fucking should, since a NetGear 802.11 wireless router is $30 at RadioSnack) the PS3 sniffs it out and it's very easy to set up. Once the connection is established, you can just download games online...at a significant savings to buying boxed games at retailers. You may already know that.

Oh, and I totally forgot about GT4. That will probably be the first game I buy.