Wipers stop in upright position 2002 Monte

Thomas Aquinas

Just happened today as I was using the washer fluid. They started from their normal park position down by the cowl and when I went to turn them off they stopped in the upright position. The motor seems to work fine, because I can turn them on and off and they work completely normal even at varying speeds. However, when I shut them off they act they are going to stop down at the cowl, but then they move so they are straight up on the windshield. Is their a switch or something that has failed?

Any help is appreciated, cause it looks goofy driving around with wipers stuck like that. :)

Thanks,

There is a tab that the parking arm has to touch for the wipers to go down, and I've seen it get bent over. I've only seen this happen once but it's exacly what happened to you. It was an Impala so I'm sure it was an identical set-up. You'll have to pull the drivers side wiper arm and cowling to get a good look at it, and be sure not to disconnect the linkage under the cowl as those plastic tabs are pretty much a one time use and are only available with the arm.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do this weekend. Is the parking switch something I can replace separately from the motor or do I have to replace the whole thing? I'll have to pull it into the garage and hopefully melt the snow and ice build up. I'm sure using the wipers when its 5* out and covered in snow has something to do with this...

Ok, I pulled some stuff apart and had a look around. I got a good look at the motor and the assembly. Nothing really seemed broken? I would guess its either something wrong with the motor or the pulse board? I might have to suck this one up and take it in...

Well that didn't work. I replaced the pulse board and they still do the same thing. I looked at the parking tabs on the pulse boards and they seemed fine. I even tried bending one, but that didn't work. I guess I might try to take it in sometime this week, I have no idea whats wrong. Kinda frustrating.

Well that didn't work. I replaced the pulse board and they still do the same thing. I looked at the parking tabs on the pulse boards and they seemed fine. I even tried bending one, but that didn't work. I guess I might try to take it in sometime this week, I have no idea whats wrong. Kinda frustrating.

I you would like to listen to me I'm sure I can fix it.

Guest Removed
I you would like to listen to me I'm sure I can fix it.

im sure anyone can fix it throwing parts at it (not to say you would)

but following the flow chart for diaging the issue would be the best thing to do.

but see they dont teach that to mechanical engineer's.

im sure anyone can fix it throwing parts at it (not to say you would)

but following the flow chart for diaging the issue would be the best thing to do.

but see they dont teach that to mechanical engineer's.

I have fixed a couple w-bodys with this problem and I'm almost positive what it is. It's hard to explain, but read my previous posts and know that I'm not talking about the pulse board or the motor, I'm talking about a tab that gets bent over when the wipers are stressed (usually in the winter time), and the tab is on the mounting plate of the motor, the parking "paw" has to hit it for the wipers to drop down.

I'm done trying to help now good luck.

ND2Race - I'm sorry that you got that impression. When I first took everything apart, I tried looking for the parking tab you were describing. Seriously, I listened to your advice and looked for it to be bent out of place. I couldn't find anything, so I thought maybe AJ was on to something with the pulse board. I guess sometimes its hard to explain tech help over the internet. I'm sorry if I offended you, I appreciate the help. You're probably right with parking tab, and I'm just missing something. I agree that it probably isn't the motor.