anyone good w/ home theatre electronics?

evan9381

so im looking at an onkyo unit. 7.1, 1200w, fits into what i need, and heard good reviews... i will be hooking up to it a HD DVR, bluray player, and my wii.

what i'd like to do is have my bluray and HD cable running through surround sound all the time, and the wii as well if its capable of it.

reading online, im seeing things that say "HDMI inputs are pass through only".

with this, im getting that the HDMI will only deliver video, correct? then i would need seperate cables for the audio?

heres a pic of the rear of the unit (may be large)

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/images/hts5100b_rear_300.jpg

would i have to run

HD DVR ---> onkyo via HDMI

Bluray ---> onkyo via HDMI

then onkyo ---> TV via HDMI

then for audio get a seperate set of cables? is that what the box labeled "digital in" is for on the left?

thanks for any help

HDMI is audio and video. The HDMI inputs will output to the speakers through the receiver.

Not all receivers will pass the audio. I picked up a pioneer receiver a couple weeks ago. It will not pass audio through HDMI. If I would have spent $100 more for the next receiver up, it would pass the audio. To me, it's not worth the extra $100. Digital audio sounds just as good.

but the whole "passthrough only" from what ive read, even though it will send audio and video through it (example, from the cable box), once it gets to the unit, it basically doesnt know what to do with the audio.

Yup, you will need to run either Coax digital from the device to the receiver or use Optical, if your device has one. If you have Coax cables laying around, use those. I don't feel it's worth spending the money on Optical cables. The average person will not notice a difference.

I would run HDMI which will carry the video and Digital coax for sound. Using the receiver you'll map the sound in and what it's for and the source type. It may even do it automatically like mine.

Just beware that Onkyo has had some HDMI grounding issues in the past. Hopefully they've worked it out. If you get a hum or feedback through the sub using HDMI on any Inputs, try disconnecting them and see if it goes away. Again, I would hope they worked it out from 2yrs ago.

Personally, I did HDMI on both my Blue Ray and WOW box and she's just fine. I have a 6.2 setup driving Paradigms and love it :cool:

ok. so i would run one cable from cable box and one from bluray to each of those. how could i hook up sound from a wii into that system? the component RGB box just right of the orange plugs? then on the unit i will just switch from HDMI-1, HDMI-2, and Component-1?

ok. so i would run one cable from cable box and one from bluray to each of those. how could i hook up sound from a wii into that system? the component RGB box just right of the orange plugs? then on the unit i will just switch from HDMI-1, HDMI-2, and Component-1?

Basically the HDMI's from your Cable box and blue ray go to the HDMI in's on the reciever. They then pass their video signal to the HDMI out on the back. that get's connected to your TV.

The Audio from both then get connected seperately from there. Use the Digital Coax / orange ones to do that. One each into the receiver.

I don't have a Wii or like system but I would imagine you would then just have to simply connect it up to the other available inputs. Perhaps use the DVD RCA connections. AGain, I'm not familiar with the outputs on a Wii. You can use the optical inputs too. I like them for simple CD player hook up or what not.

The main benefit to the higher end Recievers via HDMI 1.1 units is they are not just pass-through and you can take advantage of the better sound quality of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Home Theater......it's kick ass :)

The reciever you have shown here is nice, but keep in mind in it's price point, it's similiar to the SR-506 Receiver Onkyo Sells. Do some further comparisons on that model if you want to perhaps see how it fits in comparison to other Onkyo stand alone recievers or other brands.

Basically the HDMI's from your Cable box and blue ray go to the HDMI in's on the reciever. They then pass their video signal to the HDMI out on the back. that get's connected to your TV.

The Audio from both then get connected seperately from there. Use the Digital Coax / orange ones to do that. One each into the receiver.

I don't have a Wii or like system but I would imagine you would then just have to simply connect it up to the other available inputs. Perhaps use the DVD RCA connections. AGain, I'm not familiar with the outputs on a Wii.

The reciever you have shown here is nice, but keep in mind in it's price point, it's similiar to the SR-506 Receiver Onkyo Sells.

got it.

as for the SR-506, while it is $180 cheaper (thru amazon, at least), the unit above comes with the whole set of surround sound speakers. does spending the extra $180 for the matching speakers sound reasonable, or do you think i could get a set of speakers for less money?

got it.

as for the SR-506, while it is $180 cheaper (thru amazon, at least), the unit above comes with the whole set of surround sound speakers. does spending the extra $180 for the matching speakers sound reasonable, or do you think i could get a set of speakers for less money?

I would no doubt stick with what you have if it comes with the speakers. The whole system is pretty nice. I don't own one, but I've seen similar units in the store. All depends on your budget. I would have done a simliar system in one of our rooms if I didn't already have the receivers. No way you could get the same quality sound / speakers for $180.

I need to get me a game console or something :)

i think i'll go for it then. i checked onkyo website, and they show 2 year parts/labor warranty on receivers, which is good. if panasonic offered the same, i wouldnt be having to drop this much $ now unless i had the "want" to upgrade/replace

i think i'll go for it then. i checked onkyo website, and they show 2 year parts/labor warranty on receivers, which is good. if panasonic offered the same, i wouldnt be having to drop this much $ now unless i had the "want" to upgrade/replace

Onkyo > Panny in HT Systems by far. You won't regret it. Sorry I'm gone from Panny....can't help you too much with your old system now.