Weird gas tank fueling issue.

6 Speed S4

I've been to prolly over 200+ gas stations since this problem has started occuring. But on my 99.5 Audi A4, when filling up with gas the pump wont ever let me put gas in the tank without it spitting out or the pump just clicks and nothing goes in.

I can get about .5 gallons in, then I will stop, pull the pump nozzle out all the way to relieve pressure and then I can fill another .5 gal if I'm lucky. No one can figure out this issue on the audi forums, the vw dealership out here told me $1200 for a new fuel tank and i said go to hell basically. So I'm pretty lost but am trying to sell the car and basically have it sold, just want to get a little more money out of the car since i've maintained it.

Im not even sure if it needs a new tank, car drives and runs perfect. I just cant figure out where the vents are for the fuel tank I tried taking the filler neck out but thats pretty tricky. Any help appreciated.

Joe

I have the same problem with the Porsche right now. It's the safety valve in the filler neck.

On some of the newer German cars it's actually controled by a sensor and it's pretty common for a fuse to go bad.

However if your car is like mine something has jarred loose and is causing the valve not to operate. In my instance Porsche actually released a TSB on this it was soo common so I've got the instructions to fix it, just havn't had the time yet.

I'd check Audiworld to see if you can find specific instructions over there. If you're lucky it'll be as easy as replacing a fuse.

Andy

Guest mitsumodder
in the world of subaru's there is a place where a spider can spin a web restricting air flow as fuel goes in causing this exact problem...clearing the web is the fix, if you can find it.