GM considering bankruptcy

Casper

btw heres an "Image changer" for ya

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

OK, let's just get it out there: The 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is the best gasoline-electric hybrid yet.

What makes it best is a top-drawer blend of an already very good midsize sedan with the industry's smoothest, best-integrated gas-electric power system. It's so well-done that you have to look to the $107,000 Lexus LS 600h hybrid to come close.

article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2009-02-05-2010-ford-fusion-hybrid_N.htm

Another way of looking at it: It's made in Hermosillo, Mexico whereas the Camry is made in Georgetown, Ky. How fucked up is that. :confused:

Doesn't surpirse me as IIRC Ford was the first automaker to set up shop down there. I think the Fiesta is going to be made in Mexico too. I guess it's all part of their great plan. Good news for all those Mexican workers I guess. Lot of good that's going to do our folks in Detroit.

I mean how Ironic is it that Toyota a Japanese maker is leading the way in US Sales with it's mainstay vehicle being made in KY, yet the American Company with the top selling vehicle in the US, a truck, builds most of it's shit in Mexico?

It's sad really. I've been restoring tons of old photographs from my parents and asked my dad about where the photos were taken. many of them in Cleveland show hundreds of factories pumping out product and parking lots jammed full of workers. Now those same areas are ghetto and the products made overseas.

If this country wants stimulus all they have to do is move manufacturing back here and buy goods from our own people. Fuck, I grew up in a GM Family and get hell for driving an import, but then, my last Grand Prix was made in Canada and the G8 I looked at comes from Australia, a number of their cars are also made in Mexico...and in fact my Father's new car was made north of our border too........so I guess it didn't fucking make much of a difference that I bought a car from Japan. At least some of it's Ford.

Edited by TTQ B4U

blahblahblah

First off, I don't watch the news. As you said, it's full of BS anyways.

As I said before, it doesn't mean SHIT if a company makes a car that does 1000mpg, runs forever, and gives you a BJ while in traffic, if they don't tell the idiots out there that they have it!

That's great! But let's fucking HEAR about it if they actually want to sell it. Go out and ask 10 people on the street what's the best hybrid right now. You know what they'll say? PRIUS! I'll bet you lunch that not one person will name a Ford; let alone the Fusion.

In Fords defense though, the Prius has nearly 10-11 years on them in terms of product awareness. The fact that they came out first like that bought them a HUGE amount of press too.

So, when you have a solid product, from a very respected company that was the pioneer and has maintained a leading status with over 10 years distance over the competitor, it's no secret why folks are going to pick the Prius. Even if the new one sucks, the name alone will hold value.

Those are some mighty big shoes to fill and I don't think Ford is going to target beat the Prius at it's own game. IMO, Ford is going after them with a completely different car that offers a better ride, more luxury and targeting a different audience for not much more coin.

Want to talk Prius competition.....keep an eye on Honda. They are targeting Toyota. Ford is just trying to round out their offering vs leaping into the market and taking on the champ.

That's great! But let's fucking HEAR about it if they actually want to sell it. Go out and ask 10 people on the street what's the best hybrid right now. You know what they'll say? PRIUS! I'll bet you lunch that not one person will name a Ford; let alone the Fusion.

Those are some mighty big shoes to fill and I don't think Ford is going to target beat the Prius at it's own game. IMO, Ford is going after them with a completely different car that offers a better ride, more luxury and targeting a different audience for not much more coin.

They probably can't beat it at its own game, but they can at least put the Fusion in people's heads. At least they can get the people who wanta hybrid but don't like the Prius. HOnestly, this article declaring the Fusion as the best hybrid out there should be trumpeted by Ford from every rooftop. All they have to do is just get people to think "Hey, the Ford Fusion beat the Prius??" and they have their foot in the door, and more people in the dealerships. Right now, when someone's looking for a hybrid, I'll bet Ford isn't on their short list.

But as you said, there's years of image to overcome. That's exactly what the Big3 have to deal with, and they should be doing everything they can to turn their image around.

They probably can't beat it at its own game, but they can at least put the Fusion in people's heads. At least they can get the people who wanta hybrid but don't like the Prius. HOnestly, this article declaring the Fusion as the best hybrid out there should be trumpeted by Ford from every rooftop.

IMO, I think they will once the car hits showrooms. The new model year that is. The one that's getting the early raves. Right now though, they don't want to detract from getting sales today. It will also depend on how well the top sellers at Ford do. No different than any company, they will put more marketing towards what is hot for them not what is a middle of the road volume mover.

They need sales to survive. Mark my words, all the Ford supporters out there too....if sales don't pick up and support the Money they are bleeding by Q3, Ford will be begging by this time next year. They have enough to survive maybe 12 months, but sales need to pick up sooner than the 30th day of that last month. By Q3 is the key. Just my prediction.

They will advertise it as it becomes more available. Most of the 1st run units will not only sell fast, but sell for OVER msrp. If you were selling something that you knew would sell out regardless of advertising, how stupid would you have to be to spend millions advertising it to get the same result. That would be flushing money down the drain.

Word of mouth will spread how great the car is at first. By next year, the car will be more available. Then they will run ads and Bob and Betty will see the ad and say "Hey that's one of those cars that Joe has, he said he loved his"

Advertising isn't just about spending a shit ton all the time. In today's market it's about timing. As I have been trying to point out Ford is one of the few that realizes that.

IMO, I think they will once the car hits showrooms. The new model year that is. The one that's getting the early raves. Right now though, they don't want to detract from getting sales today. It will also depend on how well the top sellers at Ford do. No different than any company, they will put more marketing towards what is hot for them not what is a middle of the road volume mover.

Ah, but if the top sellers are doing well, then they SHOULD focus on the middle of the road models. Image again. You want to buy a truck, what's going to be in the top 3 of your list? The F-150. (I'll bet the Toyota Tundra is there too, wonder why?) So if everyone equates "Good Truck" with F-150, it nearly sells itself. Then why spend money telling people what they already know? Put some money into improving the sales of the middle and back markers. Get THEIR sales up so they pay for themselves, rather than dragging on your profits from your top sellers.

Unfortunately, Ford is spending money paying Mike Rowe and Dennis Leary to tell the truck buyers who are already going to look at the F-150 that they should look at the F-150. :confused:

Word of mouth will spread how great the car is at first. By next year, the car will be more available. Then they will run ads and Bob and Betty will see the ad and say "Hey that's one of those cars that Joe has, he said he loved his"

Advertising isn't just about spending a shit ton all the time. In today's market it's about timing. As I have been trying to point out Ford is one of the few that realizes that.

See my above post, I disagree. The F-150 is the best selling truck of all time. It's also one of, if not THE, best selling vehicle of all time. But they're spending tons of money to advertise it. Anyone who doesn't have the F-150 on their shortlist of work trucks is either an idiot, or isn't going to buy it due to bias against Ford. COntinuing a media BLITZ like they are now is just a waste of cash.

When the imports get an award or an acclaim from a magazine or other organization, they are IMMEDIATELY advertising it. Hell, BMW and Honda were selling hydrogen cars WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN EXIST! THAT'S how you construct an image and get people to think differently about you. Expecting word of mouth to advertise for you when your name alone turns people off is just dumb.

I am about done with this discussion because I feel like I am beating a dead horse.

The F series is the #1 selling VEHICLE overall in the US every year for the last 20 years. It has also been the #1 selling truck in the US every year for the last 32. That being said, they DO NOT sell themselves. I say that because a 35k F-150 sells for 30k all day. Ford WOULD lose some sales if they did not advertise the F-150. So the money they spend DOES come back to them through additional sales. Ford also knows that they will sell EVERY one of the 2010 hybrids that they make ALREADY. In fact most dealers that are lucky enough to get one already have a deposit for the 1st one which are all being sold for OVER msrp.

To be clear : They advertise the F-150. That = more sales = ROI (return on investment)

They don't advertise the Fusion hybrid (yet). They are going to sell them anyways.

So you want them to advertise a vehicle that will sell ANYWAYS, and just throw that money away? That doesn't sound the least bit ridiculous to you?

I mean how Ironic is it that Toyota a Japanese maker is leading the way in US Sales with it's mainstay vehicle being made in KY, yet the American Company with the top selling vehicle in the US, a truck, builds most of it's shit in Mexico?

Toyota doesn't have worry about the UAW union.

the fusion hybrid doesn't even compete with the prius, you idiot! its designed to fight the camry hybrid, altima hybrid, and accord hybrid. the prius is designed to be a high MPG hybrid only, where as all of the other cars i mentioned are designed with multiple configurations in mind, as is the LS600 that the article mentions.

also, the automakers aren't having any problems selling as many vehicles as the competition(i can get the numbers for you if you would like), they are having problems remaining profitable while doing so. ford is almost completely turned around(thus, why they wont need any gubment money unless one of the other 2 goes down), GM has some work to do, and chrysler is an honest question mark. im not sure who the hell got the idea that they aren't selling as many vehicles as the competition, but its terribly flawed and certainly not backed by any fact what so ever.

BTW, for the second(or is it third?) time, both GM and chrysler have concluded that bankruptcy isn't feasible.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090218/ANA02/902179935/1229