Yank the wheels with Ford parts? *sigh*

MrMeanGreen

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bit the bullet and bought a Ford 8.8 rear end fabricated for an F-Body. All it needs is the torque arm mounts since it was set up for a four-link, but arrangements have been made for the fabrication already.

With this and my new suspension/chassis upgrades sitting upstairs, I think it will be a fun year with traction. I'm going to swap my four channel axles in to keep my ABS and TCS. Now I can finally run a two-step and/or trans-brake. Yay!

The gf and I are making a trip to New York Friday evening or Saturday morning, I have room for one more if someone wants to go see some interesting sights.

well gm beat ford with the ls (i figure the 03 cobra is too limited to compare)

at least allow ford to win in the rear end dept

Guest Removed
I grenaded 3 Ford 9" center sections, all from different vendors. 1 mini spool, 1 Ford factory posi, and 1 Auburn.

All with less than 500 hp.

True story.

stock 9"'s will do that:p

Tinman is gonna do the work.

The 8.8 is a proven unit for traction, with most Ford owners taking them deep into the 9s and 1.4x range. The unit is MUCH lighter than a 12-bolt or 9", can be built up pretty good, and parts are cheap.

I'll give you that, I had never seen anyone using the 8.8 in an f-body. I know they can be made pretty stong, I'm just curious though how much stronger then a fully built 10 bolt it really would be? Excuse me for not knowing details about the Ford rear, but other then the ring gear what other parts and pieces are stronger?

Vince, the Formula is 3420lbs. Not really that heavy for a car that big.

Scott, Wease on here ran one in his '98 Formula M6 years back. The posi and gears are stronger if they're the right type, and can be built to handle much more than the 7.5" 10-bolt ever will.

I'm picking it up Saturday, you can come back after I get back to look at it and pick up that article of clothing.

Vince, the Formula is 3420lbs. Not really that heavy for a car that big.

Scott, Wease on here ran one in his '98 Formula M6 years back. The posi and gears are stronger if they're the right type, and can be built to handle much more than the 7.5" 10-bolt ever will.

I'm picking it up Saturday, you can come back after I get back to look at it and pick up that article of clothing.

:thumbup: Sounds like a plan.

every car that has some power needs a ford rear end to make it all work everyone knows that dummies.

12 bolts are arguably stronger and are more efficient, the benefit of a 9" is that you can change gears quickly, but pretty much no one here needs to do that.

Guest Removed
12 bolts are arguably stronger and are more efficient, the benefit of a 9" is that you can change gears quickly, but pretty much no one here needs to do that.

stronger..i think not. after breaking 3 12 bolts, moser told me to install a 9" in my old camaro. and why has nitrous birds 12 bolt always broke?

12 bolt has a better angle on the ring and pinion, and thats about it.thats whyn it robs less power then a 9".