Denny Dotson...........

Aaron

Anyone have anything to say about Denny Dotson in Johnstown?

I know they tent to have rougher performance oriented cars, but they have a 2004 R32 with 47k that is VERY clean. It drove well, has new tires etc. It did have an aftermarket intake from a reputable VW tuner and an aftermarket radio that wasn't working. He said he would replace the radio to make everything work though. Also there is only 1 key, and the fob buttons do not work.

He said he had no problem with me taking it for an inspection either.

Thoughts?

If they would go to 17k, I would have the exact same car payment as on my GTI. It only has 3k more miles than my 06 GTI does, however I would lose 30k of warranty that is left on my GTI, and be paying for 2 more years than if I were to pay off my GTI.

It def isn't the best decision to make, however I love the car.

Manheim action data: for 47,000 miles 04 hatch r32 4motion

Feb 26 - Mar 05 2009

Above Average Below

Auction $15,700 $13,250 $10,800

Est. Retail $17,450 $14,800 $12,150

Sounds like an average car to me so it would likely roll through the sale for $13,200. Now the dealer has to pay auction fees, clean it up, service it, and obviously make a profit to stay open. That being said I would never spend 18k on that car. I see you like Audis also. You could buy a nice Audi for 18k if you take your time and look

Manheim action data: for 47,000 miles 04 hatch r32 4motion

Feb 26 - Mar 05 2009

Above Average Below

Auction $15,700 $13,250 $10,800

Est. Retail $17,450 $14,800 $12,150

Sounds like an average car to me so it would likely roll through the sale for $13,200. Now the dealer has to pay auction fees, clean it up, service it, and obviously make a profit to stay open. That being said I would never spend 18k on that car. I see you like Audis also. You could buy a nice Audi for 18k if you take your time and look

Well besides the radio and key fobs not working, the car is in above average condition. The engine bay is crazy clean, as well as the interior and exterior. Only a few chips and scratches on the exterior, very minor. They do have another one with 67k miles and that is a very average car, and their price is 16990 on that one, but it is much rougher.

So what would you spend 18k on? They are giving me more for my trade than anyone else has offered, that is the reason for looking at their car.

So what would you spend 18k on? They are giving me more for my trade than anyone else has offered, that is the reason for looking at their car.

That's the rest of the story then. Cars are worth what they are worth, when one dealer gives you a substantial amount more on trade they are doing whats called "over allowing" or showing you more than what they will really put in the car.

My guess is that they are probably netting 16k out of the R32 from showing you an extra 2 thousand on trade. If that's the case, it seems more reasonable.

Anyone have anything to say about Denny Dotson in Johnstown?

I know they tent to have rougher performance oriented cars, but they have a 2004 R32 with 47k that is VERY clean. It drove well, has new tires etc. It did have an aftermarket intake from a reputable VW tuner and an aftermarket radio that wasn't working. He said he would replace the radio to make everything work though. Also there is only 1 key, and the fob buttons do not work.

He said he had no problem with me taking it for an inspection either.

Thoughts?

I would have him fix the radio replace the fobs and if it is ok on a inspection pick it up.

That's the rest of the story then. Cars are worth what they are worth, when one dealer gives you a substantial amount more on trade they are doing whats called "over allowing" or showing you more than what they will really put in the car.

My guess is that they are probably netting 16k out of the R32 from showing you an extra 2 thousand on trade. If that's the case, it seems more reasonable.

I am not trying to be a dick, but you must not know much about the R32. They are selling for around 17-22k for ALL mileage and condition cars. They have been one of the best resale value cars for years. Before the MKV R32 came out it was common to see them for 25-30 with 30-60k miles on them.

I am not saying it is worth that to you, but to those that love VW's, they are THE car to have.

I am not trying to be a dick, but you must not know much about the R32. They are selling for around 17-22k for ALL mileage and condition cars. They have been one of the best resale value cars for years. Before the MKV R32 came out it was common to see them for 25-30 with 30-60k miles on them.

I am not saying it is worth that to you, but to those that love VW's, they are THE car to have.

I am not trying to be a dick but classified ads that are currently listed are inflated numbers that people are NOT getting out of their cars in this market. Manheim numbers are REAL sales that happen every day. They ARE the market. ie. if R32s were flying off of lots for 20k I promise they would bring a lot more than 13,2 at the sale

I was really just trying to make sure you weren't getting shafted. After hearing the whole story I don't think you are.

I am not trying to be a dick but classified ads that are currently listed are inflated numbers that people are NOT getting out of their cars in this market. Manheim numbers are REAL sales that happen every day. They ARE the market. ie. if R32s were flying off of lots for 20k I promise they would bring a lot more than 13,2 at the sale

I was really just trying to make sure you weren't getting shafted. After hearing the whole story I don't think you are.

I appreciate all of the help so far. I get a little over excited about new cars at times lol. I think for 17k with a fixed radio and key fob it would be a great deal.

Anything else you think I should know before going back there?

Thanks.

R32's are nice, awd right? I think they only came with a high-compression V6 and no models with boost though. That's a bummer.

Yes, 3.2 VR6 with 240hp, all 6mt and haldex AWD.

After driving the R32, my GTI felt boring. And you can't beat the sound of the R32.

Anyone have 614streets number for an inspection?

JP makes VERY valid points. The VR6 is a great motor and sounds HOT...but can't you make your GTI just as fast with a chip and other small mods?

30K warranty and 2 years of payments is nothing to scoff at.

I've known ONE person who was close to me that came away with a good deal from Denny and the car was as promised. Therefore I would assume that if you look the car over CLOSELY and the deal makes sense then you'll be fine.

JP makes VERY valid points. The VR6 is a great motor and sounds HOT...but can't you make your GTI just as fast with a chip and other small mods?

30K warranty and 2 years of payments is nothing to scoff at.

I've known ONE person who was close to me that came away with a good deal from Denny and the car was as promised. Therefore I would assume that if you look the car over CLOSELY and the deal makes sense then you'll be fine.

I just did some more research on my loan for my GTI and it is not good news. I have 51 months left on the loan, lol. God I thought it had been longer since I got the car. I took out a 72 month loan (I know, I know, I wanted the car and was foolish).

I am however about 5k upside down on the car as a whole. So if I kept my payment the same, I could get a different 14,000 car along with my -equity and be at the same payment and same time until maturity.

I am not going to get into another 72 month buy, so I am pretty sure that I just eliminated the R32. Doesn't make much sense to spend a grand total of 10k more dollars for a 2 year older car with 0 warranty. I have 30k of warranty left which is about 2 years of driving.

I just did some more research on my loan for my GTI and it is not good news. I have 51 months left on the loan, lol. God I thought it had been longer since I got the car. I took out a 72 month loan (I know, I know, I wanted the car and was foolish).

I am however about 5k upside down on the car as a whole. So if I kept my payment the same, I could get a different 14,000 car along with my -equity and be at the same payment and same time until maturity.

I am not going to get into another 72 month buy, so I am pretty sure that I just eliminated the R32. Doesn't make much sense to spend a grand total of 10k more dollars for a 2 year older car with 0 warranty. I have 30k of warranty left which is about 2 years of driving.

definitely a wise choice then considering the options. You're right that it was a mistake doing the term on the GTI, but you live you learn I suppose. Pay it off and consider it a good education lesson that cost you a lot less than letting someone convince you to buy a $200K home instead.

I still vote chip/intake/downpipe on the GTI and drive it.