does this sound like a scam to you guys?

that dude

im selling a shift racing vertex jacket on craigslist..heres the response i get

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response and am very sorry for the

lateness reply...Am satisfied with the price and condition of the

item. I will like to make an outright purchase of the item.I am out of

town on a business trip,so i will like to proceed in issuing out a

certified bank check to you direct from my Bank and upon the

confirmation and clearance of payment at your own Bank my mover will

come for the pick-up at your location and then deliver it to my place.

So i would appreciate if you can get back to me with your full name,

address, zip code and cell phone number so that payment can be mail

out ontime and consider the item sold to me also remove the advert

from the site asap. let me read from you today.

Warm Regards.

--

does this sound like a scam to you, cause it does to me..what do you think

Yes, a scam. Typically they will overpay you with a check that YOU will have to cash at a bank, and ask you to return some of the excess cash, and kept part for your trouble. The check will be forged, fake, bogus, etc. Resulting in you possibly having to speak with the police when the bank calls them.

Just ignore it, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

The e-mail message didn't even originate from inside the USA. (typically)

Calling it an "advert" gives it away.

And that is a clue, they always ask for the advert to be removed.

If you get a check in the mail anyway, don't take it to the bank.

Scams are increasing rapidly, apparently they work. If people didn't make money doing that, they wouldn't do it. And it's not just e-mail scams, phone scams are increasing again.

I had something similar to this when I was selling a car last spring. The guy was in Idaho and was blind (yet, he was emailing me) and was going to have his nephew contact me and send me a check and requested all my info and was going to send a carrier truck out to pick up the car. I was selling a $1500 1995 Olds Cutlass supreme beater with no AC that could be found all day long in Idaho and probably a little cheaper than what I was asking. He didnt even try to negotiate price. It was the silliest email I ever read. I just deleted it and knew right a way it was a scam

You guys are no fun... none of you have strung them along, just for shits and giggles?

There are a ton of websites out there for ideas on how to respond to these guys and goof on them.

I've replied back to a couple of the guys, getting them to think I'd go through with their scam, then I always have an excuse - "my dog's sick" or "my mother's got herpes" or "my mother's dog has herpes" to see if they come back.

My favorite is pretending I'm a priest at a local ministry and telling all the scammers I'm doing my best to round up money, but because of the charity we do for the local community, it's hard to get the money because the local people need it much more - just to see how much of a guilty conscience I can give the scammers. Yet they still come back with some excuse on why I should take the food pantry money, or skim some off the top of the offer plate...Turns out, they're pretty cold individuals - who would've thunk?

I have a friend who got cought in this trap. They were selling a puppy, guy was from colorado, she received the check from a bank in Atlanta. It was fake, looked pretty damn real though. Check was for $7,000. Puppy was $800. Told her to cash check, and keep $3000, and send back the rest. Luckily she didn't cash the damn thing.

I just had to put up with her dilirium for the next week. She thought the arabs were gonna break down her door.

It was pretty fun messing with the scammer. I asked a whole shit strom of stupid redunant questions. They stopped emailing.

:lol: my friend just got THREE of those exact same emails, he's selling a bed liner from his truck and the first guy sent him a check for $3000 and wanted the difference, said his secretary screwed up, second guy said the check was in the mail and same thing. Why the he'll would someone in Indianna who's moving to Cali want to buy a $150 bed liner from the far east side of Ohio :-/ idiots.

Is this guy asking for any money back though? I thought he said he would send a check and wait for your bank to confirm everything is ok before you send the goods... ?

Not outright...they usually don't. Something will end up being fucked up though...like the movers will "accidentally" come early before your check clears or some bullshit like that. There are variations of the scam but the basic gist is that you get fucked...hard. This is most definitely a scam.