Why Seafoam?

thorne

Put it in the crank case on 2 cars, both with around 100k miles, both spun rod bearings within 1000 miles.

I won't touch that stuff.

I've never heard of putting it in a crankcase, and think that would be the dumbest thing to do with it, or anything else that isn't a specific oil additive. Seafoam is for cleaning fuel systems and intake tracts.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
Put it in the crank case on 2 cars, both with around 100k miles, both spun rod bearings within 1000 miles.

kind of answered your own questions there. driving around washing the oil out of the bearings will do that.

if use in the crankcase, its use right before a oil change, under no load, and the oil is to be changed right after use.

its a cleaner..not a additive

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

how much did you drop in them?

if use in the crankcase, its use right before a oil change, under no load, and the oil is to be changed right after use.

I don't beleive in this shit either, if you let the engine get sluged up putting harsh solvents in it is just as stupid.

There is no such hing as a fix in a bottle, just cleaners. The inside of your engine shouldn't need cleaned, if it does you fucked yourself anyway.

Guest Removed
I don't beleive in this shit either, if you let the engine get sluged up putting harsh solvents in it is just as stupid.

There is no such hing as a fix in a bottle, just cleaners. The inside of your engine shouldn't need cleaned, if it does you fucked yourself anyway.

sludge is the number 1 engine killer!

and it kills me to see cars pulling in that require synthetic oil changes, getting there 13.99-19.99 oil change special and barely do them at 7,000 miles.

I'm just wondering how much did you put in the crankcase? It only calls for about a 2/3 of a cup or less. Without the bottle in front of me I can't be sure. I've always had good luck with it.

Guest Removed
I'm just wondering how much did you put in the crankcase? It only calls for about a 2/3 of a cup or less. Without the bottle in front of me I can't be sure. I've always had good luck with it.

kind of answered your own questions there. driving around washing the oil out of the bearings will do that.

I walked away and didn't finish my post before this, but what you said is true. I only did mine while it was on stands warming up the oil before the change.

sludge is the number 1 engine killer!

and it kills me to see cars pulling in that require synthetic oil changes, getting there 13.99-19.99 oil change special and barely do them at 7,000 miles.

I don't know about sludge being the #1 killer, but deffinately a killer. If the engine has sludge and needs flushed then the chances of it coming loose and cloging up the oil pick-up is pretty good. My point is to just take proper care of the engine in the first place.

Guest Removed
I walked away and didn't finish my post before this, but what you said is true. I only did mine while it was on stands warming up the oil before the change.

well thats how your suppose to treat a cleaner.

well thats how your suppose to treat a cleaner.
Yep! I've seen to many of the guys do this in the shop I would worked at before. I do have a question on what you might say about while running it into the manifold. I know when adding this to let it pull it very slow no to flood the engine, but I've been told while doing this turn the car off to let it sit for a while so it can brake up more things. After 5-10 mins start the car and finish off what you have and let run till the smoke clears. So does that sound about right on doing this. I'm just not sure about turning off the car and letting sit in the middle of this. Thanks.

I used it every few months in my corolla until I stopped driving it daily at 330K. Also use it in my offroader once a year or so. After I run that stuff through the oil the next couple oil changes look clean as if I were changing a new cars oil. It gets my vote.

Guest Removed
Yep! I've seen to many of the guys do this in the shop I would worked at before. I do have a question on what you might say about while running it into the manifold. I know when adding this to let it pull it very slow no to flood the engine, but I've been told while doing this turn the car off to let it sit for a while so it can brake up more things. After 5-10 mins start the car and finish off what you have and let run till the smoke clears. So does that sound about right on doing this. I'm just not sure about turning off the car and letting sit in the middle of this. Thanks.

here is what the bottle says.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

myself, i like to pull it in thru a small vacuum line as close to the TB as i can get. i pinch the hose to help regulate how much it sucks. mostly it will stall some. i like doing it that way cause then you know is soaking the intake valves.

i have even poured some into the cylinders thru spark plug holes, and let it soak the rings cause well , it helps break that carbon up that can cause the rings to stick in the pistons ring lands. carob build up on the valves is the worst. cause it can and will cause a not start issue when it builds up enough to keep the valves open.

IMO the best use for this stuff is in a motorvac fuel system cleaning machine. once its ran, my god does it blow some shit out. yes i have seen it kill injectors, and o2's along with some spark plugs. but that service, and a TB cleaning really do wonder's for drivabilty.

now heres the thing with 02 sensors, most people dont know it but most car makers put a life span on them. mostly seen in the 30-40k range. but now to help keep maintenance costs down, they dont do that.

I plan on changing out the plugs after I do this, but just wanted a yes or no on turning the car off in the middle to let it sit. Once I get home I will read up on that link that you put up. I have a great line to put it in on the 1.8t.

now heres the thing with 02 sensors, most people dont know it but most car makers put a life span on them. mostly seen in the 30-40k range. but now to help keep maintenance costs down, they dont do that.

Of course they do, but newer heated O2s are supposed to last twice that long.

I plan on changing out the plugs after I do this, but just wanted a yes or no on turning the car off in the middle to let it sit. Once I get home I will read up on that link that you put up. I have a great line to put it in on the 1.8t.

you definatly want to let the car sit for a little while after you use it. i usually do the seafoam, find something else to do for about a half hour, then go out and romp on the car making a giant smoke show. here is a great tutorial for a complete engine seafoaming:

http://www.fbodyonline.com/forum/f20/how-seafoam-your-car-3510/

you dont have to do it all(i usually just do #3), but its all their if you want to.

I've never heard of putting it in a crankcase, and think that would be the dumbest thing to do with it, or anything else that isn't a specific oil additive. Seafoam is for cleaning fuel systems and intake tracts.

Read the back of the bottle.

I did enough to treat 4 quarts per their specs in 5 quart systems. Called them, they said put it in, drive for about 2 k miles and change the oil and filter.

Might be a complete coincidence.

Guest Removed
Read the back of the bottle.

I did enough to treat 4 quarts per their specs in 5 quart systems. Called them, they said put it in, drive for about 2 k miles and change the oil and filter.

i never drive them..

could be that or it just broke up the sludge like its suppose to, and it plugged up youre pickup screen and , well you know the rest.

i never drive them..

could be that or it just broke up the sludge like its suppose to, and it plugged up youre pickup screen and , well you know the rest.

Probably.

I just know that a car running alright is a lot easier to sell than one that hammers itself to death on a test drive.

Guest Removed
Probably.

I just know that a car running alright is a lot easier to sell than one that hammers itself to death on a test drive.

thats what gear oil is for silly :p

j/k

After reading this I went out and bought a bottle of Seafoam. I put it in my 94 Civic with 255000 on the clock. My car had some sputtering and low idle issues. After putting 1/3 the bottle in the gas tank and 2/3 through a small vacuum line from the intake, my problems are gone! Its amazing and I didnt think a little bottle would cure the issues with the car. Best $8 I have ever spent!

Anthony

Guest Removed
After reading this I went out and bought a bottle of Seafoam. I put it in my 94 Civic with 255000 on the clock. My car had some sputtering and low idle issues. After putting 1/3 the bottle in the gas tank and 2/3 through a small vacuum line from the intake, my problems are gone! Its amazing and I didnt think a little bottle would cure the issues with the car. Best $8 I have ever spent!

Anthony

carbon removal FTW :cool:

2k miles??? from all ive read, the seafoam people say no more than 100 miles!

Anthony

yep, seafoam is the shit!