Why Seafoam?

thorne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this I went out and bought a bottle of Seafoam...

Haha same here. Seemed to clean up the car's idle a bit.

Whats the most effective way to enter it into the cars system? Any vaccum source? ive used the brake booster before..

That's what I used

I think I'm going to have to try this out now. I'm not doing this crank case portion it just don't sound like a good idea.

+1

I have been using this stuff for years, on low and high mileage engines but only in the intake via vaccum line or in the tank. While I'm not a fan of "snake oil" fixes I have had good results out of this stuff - but still don't like the idea of running it in the oil.

After I run that stuff through the oil the next couple oil changes look clean as if I were changing a new cars oil. It gets my vote.

Same here. When I put it in my oil the next change didnt have as much blackness to it. The oil that came out after it was put into the crankcase on the otherhand looked like complete hell.

edit: I found the video of the smoke show from a while back. Some people say rev it like a madman, others say don't. I did. http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2m44mc8&s=5

I recommend put 1/3 in the tank and the rest gets sucked thru a tiny vacuum line on the intake manifold....DONT USE THE BRAKE BOOSTER LINE, ITS TOOOO BIG AND WILL SUCK THE SEAFOAM DOWN TOO FAST!

Close...but you are not supposed to suck it out of the bottle at all. You can suck it too fast through just about any line given their is enough suction. You are supposed to take a funnel and pour it in.

Close...but you are not supposed to suck it out of the bottle at all. You can suck it too fast through just about any line given their is enough suction. You are supposed to take a funnel and pour it in.

pour it into a vacuum line? wtf? Youre supposed to let the engine pull it in with vacuum and regulate it so it doesnt die. Im about to do it on the S40. Im going to use the line I tapped for the boost gauge.

thinking about doing this to the civic but then again whats the point it will still be slow. Might be fun just to watch all the smoke cloud up the apartment complex

seafoam doesn't make any promises about your car being 'faster', but the driveability difference is amazing. throttle response, idle quality, etc., it just makes your vehicle better to drive no matter how slow it is(i DD an 80HP geo tracker, the difference is amazing even in something that pathetic!).

pour it into a vacuum line? wtf? Youre supposed to let the engine pull it in with vacuum and regulate it so it doesnt die. Im about to do it on the S40. Im going to use the line I tapped for the boost gauge.

That's what i did. Used a funnel and poured slowly. Towards the end I poured it all to try to get it to die. When it dies you have all that seafoam sitting in your cylinders and let it sit for 15-20 mins then start it up. Everyone has their own way of doing it I guess.

pour it into a vacuum line? wtf? Youre supposed to let the engine pull it in with vacuum and regulate it so it doesnt die.

From http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.)

Maybe one way works better, but if I do what they say I get to place a little bit of blame on them in the event something would go terribly, terribly wrong. :)

From http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Maybe one way works better, but if I do what they say I get to place a little bit of blame on them in the event something would go terribly, terribly wrong. :)

So other than the LD9, and Ecotec out of the J-body's, what other TB's do you know that are vertical and are also w/o a MAF? Rule of thumb with seafoam... if your car has a vacuum hose... use it.