help adjusting sight on M&P

andyjs3589

I just got a s&w m&p 9mm, the rear sight is all the way to the left and it is shooting to the left, so obviously I need to move it to the right. I tried taking that the screw/bolt out of the top of the sight and used a regular screwdriver covered in a towel and tried hitting it with a hammer but it will not budge. Is there something that I am missing? The manual is very vague about how to adjust it and I just can't get it. It has the trijicon night sights just in case you were wondering. Thanks for the help!

-Andy

before you trash your new gun, please please please have an experienced shooter run a couple mags through it. Most likely, you are having grip or trigger pull issues that are throwing it off. If you bought the gun brand new and the sights are actually off, warranty that shit. Again, don't trash your new shiny gun.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/andyjs3589/sightadjustment.jpg

My uncle, cousin and I have all shot it and all agree it is off to the left. The rear sight is actually way off to the left and it clearly needs to move to the right to be in the center. I can snap a picture when I get home so you can see what I mean. But you are right I am about to call S&W and have them send me a prepaid box so that they can mess with it because they actually know what they are doing and can do it without messing it up.

My M&P was like that as well from the factory. It was some quality control bullshit thats for sure.

Take it to any gun shop theyll be able to fix it rite up for you. Just dont take it there yourself because youre not 21 heh.

I'm sure that Blackwing will be able to do a good job, or any of the other shops around town. Unfortunately, I can't recommend Vance's for the job. I had my XD night-sights installed there, they did get them right on the return trip, but their first try took 2 weeks! This was WAY back before the panic, too.

my g/fs grandpa is one of the gunsmiths for vances (when their inhouse guys cant handle something)...i took him my M&P 9c and trijicons and he had them in in like 10 minutes.

theres an allen screw on the top you need to take out. DONT take the sight completely off, because IIRC, there is a cap that is spring loaded under it, and if you take it off and it shoots off, you're probably going to lose it, and have more issues. its dovetailed in, so you may need to use a soft metal punch and a small hammer to move it left or right.

My M&P was like that as well from the factory. It was some quality control bullshit thats for sure.

Take it to any gun shop theyll be able to fix it rite up for you. Just dont take it there yourself because youre not 21 heh.

I thought I could posses a handgun at 18? Just couldn't buy it. My parents got it for me for my 20th birthday and it stays in there safe until I am 21 and can take it to my apartment. They don't care if I take it shooting or to get it fixed though.

I'm sure that Blackwing will be able to do a good job, or any of the other shops around town. Unfortunately, I can't recommend Vance's for the job. I had my XD night-sights installed there, they did get them right on the return trip, but their first try took 2 weeks! This was WAY back before the panic, too.

Yea vances is where I got it from, but I do not trust them with fixing guns and setting them up. Yes they have the best prices, but when they bore sighted my deer shotgun it was somehow 3 feet low at 50 yards:eek:. I will probably end up at blackwing and check out some Ar's while i'm there.:D

my g/fs grandpa is one of the gunsmiths for vances (when their inhouse guys cant handle something)...i took him my M&P 9c and trijicons and he had them in in like 10 minutes.

theres an allen screw on the top you need to take out. DONT take the sight completely off, because IIRC, there is a cap that is spring loaded under it, and if you take it off and it shoots off, you're probably going to lose it, and have more issues. its dovetailed in, so you may need to use a soft metal punch and a small hammer to move it left or right.

I tried taking the allen screw off and moving it but it would not budge.

fuck shipping it in and waiting.

and i could be wrong but i vaguely remember reading somewhere that at 18, you can purchase a handgun from a private party. id have to look again, but im about 90% sure.

vances can adjust it for you. theres no up/down to adjust on the rear sight. just make sure the angle on the barrel and the sight lines up correctly...hopefully you got sights that match the shape of the slide and you can see it lined up

To do it properly, you should have a sight pusher. I've heard xD's and M&Ps are pretty hard to move with just a hammer and punch; Glocks are cake (insert Glock>all joke here). You could do as Copperhead said, and send it back to S&W, or, you could stop by Vances or the like and have them use a sight pusher and have it fixed in about 5 minutes. Or if you're really into doing your own work, you could buy the pusher for about $100.

http://www.ombexpress.com/images/product/350x350/GA975.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - one of the best sight manufacturers in a measly two hour drive from here. If I ever get around to doing sights on the 1911, I'm personally dropping it off to him.

david bowie? i dont know if thats right, but he's down south, right? i think its the same guy i bought them from. i was going to have him install them and then found out his waiting list was like 12 weeks. um, no

David Bowie? The 70's glam rock star?

How about this guy:

http://www.novaksights.com/

no, david bowie, the tactical motherfucker. lol

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/

he's in ohio too, and had a long ass waiting list for even minor work, so i figured thats who it was. im pretty sure this is who i got my night sights from. he designed it, they came in an ameriglo package, with trijicon stamped on the sights.