Synthetic oil life

AudiOn19s

I swear this was discussed not too long ago but I think the search function is broken. How can there be no threads with the word "oil" in them at all?

Oil in question is Mobile 1. Car in question has been in storage for 12 months. Fresh oil prior to storage. Not run at all during the storage period. Pulled out of storage and now has a couple hundred miles on it.

Change the oil? This gives me an excuse to change brands too while I'm at it.

OR

Leave it, it's fine since it was fresh prior to storage?

I would change it. The oil has picked up moisture, via condensation. How much is unknown. If it were stored in a humidity and temperature controlled environment, or Arizona, then no need to change.

Bingo.

I would change it. If you want to stick to Mobil1, Advance Auto Parts has the Mobil1 oil change special for 30 bucks right now.

Actually part of the reason I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead with the change is I wanted to get away from Mobil1.

I just scored 0-W-40 and did mine on Friday. Too bad Advance doesn't carry MB filters, so I got an FD one for Mojoe.

speaking for which wherehas he been latley he hasn't posted in here for are year or more(seems like it at least).

change it. i always go back and forth with this. i drive my cobra less than 3k miles per year. i end up changing the oil every 6 months--i should probably change it every 3 months, but i can't justify changing it with less than 1500 miles on it, when it looks perfect every time i change it.

i change the oil on my GTO every 4-5 months, and i put about 3k miles on it between changes--oil looks fairly dirty when i change it too.

i use mobil 1 5w-30 on both cars, and have been very happy with it

Anyone try the new Castrol Edge yet? They made some pretty serious claims.

BTW, Mobil 1 and other synthetics just dropped in normal price as much as $1.50/q yesterday and no less than $.50/q.

I've actually heard great things about the Edge oil. From what I understand it's got alot of the same technology that was put into the TWS motorsport oil that Castrol developed in conjunction with BMW for the rod bearing issues on M3's. The TWS 10w-60 is outstanding stuff but clearly not the right weight for most cars.

Andy

I'm glad to hear about the prices of oil droped, but I'm kinda pissed I just did both mine and the girl's car last week with Mobil 1 0W-40 Syn. It seems like I might go pick up some more for next change. Does anyone know how long they will keep this going?

I went to Elf (well Total in the wife's Jeep and my Saab, they own Elf and are re-branding some Elf products) synthetic oils last year from the Performance Oil Store (www.PerformanceOilStore.com). We were running Fuchs Silkolene in the Radcial and the Elf was a huge improvement for cooling and the idle smoothed out.

Feff

Just out of curiosity, why did a few of you guys switch up from mobil 1?

Because of their reformulation to be more emissions friendly. They reduced the levels of ZDDP (Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) in their oils due to concerns over causing issues with catalytic converters, however those ZPPD are the anti-wear additives that made it such a great product to begin with.

I've since gone to Redline or Amsoil.

Because of their reformulation to be more emissions friendly. They reduced the levels of ZDDP (Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) in their oils due to concerns over causing issues with catalytic converters, however those ZPPD are the anti-wear additives that made it such a great product to begin with.

I've since gone to Redline or Amsoil.

when did this reformualtion happen? I have always used mobil one, simply beacause thats what mitsubishi wants me to use, but if i can get more protection/performance/lubrication then I would look into switching brands. Since you mentioned Redline and Amsoil, I assume these oils dont have the reduced levels of ZDDP? do we know of any other oils without the reduced ZDDP as well?

when did this reformualtion happen? I have always used mobil one, simply beacause thats what mitsubishi wants me to use, but if i can get more protection/performance/lubrication then I would look into switching brands. Since you mentioned Redline and Amsoil, I assume these oils dont have the reduced levels of ZDDP? do we know of any other oils without the reduced ZDDP as well?

Sometime last year.

I believe all of the major carriers, esp those who are factory fills have reformulated. As I recall the push here started from the EPA in order to keep cats as efficient as possible.

My impression is specialty and race oils (Redline, Amsoil, Royal purple, Elf, etc) did not conform to these new standards.

Also, to be completely clear. I don't feel Mobil1 is a bad oil by any means and is still above and beyond for a daily driver. I'm just very particular about putting the best lubricants possible in my cars since I use them as an enthusiast and not as basic transportation.

Sometime last year.

I believe all of the major carriers, esp those who are factory fills have reformulated. As I recall the push here started from the EPA in order to keep cats as efficient as possible.

My impression is specialty and race oils (Redline, Amsoil, Royal purple, Elf, etc) did not conform to these new standards.

Also, to be completely clear. I don't feel Mobil1 is a bad oil by any means and is still above and beyond for a daily driver. I'm just very particular about putting the best lubricants possible in my cars since I use them as an enthusiast and not as basic transportation.

I was not aware of all of these new changes. I have been wanting to do it for a while anyway, but I think I need to switch the Talon to Amsoil. Thanks for the info.

Sometime last year.

So the synthetics from Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. all have to conform to these new regulations, so to speak?