Paint Guys..

Draco-REX

A friend of mine wants to get a paint gun. Problem is, neither of us know what's a good gun, and what's junk. He has a huge 2-stage IngersollRand compressor already, so he's good on that front. What he's looking for in a gun is something where, if the paint is screwed up, he knows it's his fault, not the fault of a junk gun.

Also, how essential is a dryer for a beginner? And if he has to get one, again, what's a good brand?

Thanks

For someone beginning he should pick up an IWATA. These iare a good introductory gun that can be had fairly cheap.

When it comes to more expensive guns, painters kinda have their own preference. I've shot with many guns but I always seem to go back to what I learned on. Devilbiss. I have 4 of them. And will be purchasing another dedicated clear gun here in the next month.

For a dryer, its a must have. Dont try to paint without it. Even a little bit of water will slam a paint job. Start out with a dissicant dryer. Dont buy anything under $100.00 if hes looking for a decent, get the job done, one.

For someone beginning he should pick up an IWATA. These iare a good introductory gun that can be had fairly cheap.

When it comes to more expensive guns, painters kinda have their own preference. I've shot with many guns but I always seem to go back to what I learned on. Devilbiss. I have 4 of them. And will be purchasing another dedicated clear gun here in the next month.

For a dryer, its a must have. Dont try to paint without it. Even a little bit of water will slam a paint job. Start out with a dissicant dryer. Dont buy anything under $100.00 if hes looking for a decent, get the job done, one.

Thank you.

I prefer SATA. Tend to be more expensive but I have 1 for primer and 1 for paint. I started painting with SATA, Devilbiss and IWATA's. I really is about preference. I love the trigger on most Devilbiss guns but I don't like the way they feel in my hand. Gun is just a very small part of what makes a paint job though. I have seen better than factory paint jobs come out of $100 off brand guns.

I use Devilbiss(what I learned on) but I have a SATA that I havent used it. I am a hobbiest, but I have three guns I used to paint (1-primer gun, 2-color/clear coat guns). My SATA is a HVLP, I have not played with it enough yet. Edited by RS69

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Seems like SATA and Devilbiss are the ones to have.

Now a lot of you have multiple guns for the different stages. How neccesary is this? Is it just a convenience thing, so you don't have to clean the gun to go from base to color to clear?

You are going to need to clean the gun regardless. When you use one gun a shoot base out out it, then clear with it and a chunk of metallic comes out into your clear, youll be pissed. Shouldnt happen on your first job, but when you shoot as much as I do, youll want a dedicated clear gun.

The point is you should be okay. Get a cheap gun for primer though.

Common mistake...

HVLP

High Volume Low Pressure

+1 you are right, thanks for catching that. Did you still spray with the non HVLP type or use HVLP? If so, was it difficult to get use too? I use my primer gun a lot which is a non HVLP.

I have shot with standard guns. Those are my primer guns.

I have even painted with them. HVLP wasnt any real big deal. Once you have your setting where you want them. Metallic you notice a big difference in the way it sprays from one gun to another. I have a friend that only shoots with standard guns, and he does just fine.