Longtube install on 04 gt

Mattsn2o281

Ok, 1st i know the easier way is drop the k member, but i have no lift, no hoist, and no access to anything. So unless there's a way to brace the motor from the bottom and drop the k at the same time, as all the suspension is already out, its gonna have to be done the hard way. If anyone has done an install lthis way, did you remove anything like the starter, p/s pump, etc? any tips? i just wanna find the easiest hard way to do this lol.

Thanks all

Guest Removed

have a engine hoist? thats one way of doing it.

hold the front of the motor up, and drop everything out the bottom

ok could also due the jack stand trick with a piece of wood

Thanks rob, like i said, i'll see how this goes, but yea, i might give ya a shout for that hoist.

Chris, Where did you guys set the piece of wood, across the front of the pan?

Jesus i wish i still had a foxbody lol. every little thing on this car is a pain in the ass.

I may take you up on that offer before i'm done with this lol! Fucking shit this thing is set up stupid. so the rack is now off after an hr of trying to get the steering shaft to loosen up and the mounts are loose.

Just to double check, a 2x4 across the front sump will support the motor while i have the k down right?

Lol, this will be the last time i do this on the ground....

I did one without dropping the K, it was horrible.

Drop the K using a bottle jack and a 2x4 to support the motor. Put the board where the oil pan bolts to the timing cover. I've used the board method before and an engine hoist on the floor. Remove the starter too, it makes it easier to get the headers in.

I've done it maybe 10 times on the ground, it really isn't that bad if you follow a method.

Edit: If you get in a bind, you can call me and I'd be happy to talk you through it. PM me for the number.

Actually, I already knew how big of a PAIN IN THE DICK it was so I had Dave and Fowler do it for me.

BUT.... I had to do a clutch later so yes, I do have experience there. I'm willing to donate some of my time if you need a hand...

What brand do you have? Avoid BBK and Mac. Avoid any brand that won't fit an AUTO transmission.

i have the dynomax ones, not the best by any means, but i haven't been able to find an real complaints about them, and they were cheap. i cant see paying almost $500 for painted headers lol, and thats where the nicer ones seemed to start. i do think they fit an auto as well, so hopefully this is a one time deal.

Thanks for the offer jason. I got the k dropped but i didnt like the way the motor was sitting, so it's back up for the night and i'll knock it out tommorow.

Here's another question, i had brian do a tune back when i first started messing with the car, it had tb, cai, o/r x, and catback then. i need to get the tune redone sometime anyway, but should the headers throw it off to where i need to do it like right away with no romping on the car beforehand?

do a clutch at the same time unless its pretty new

Yep. It sucks putting a clutch on a Mod with longtubes. You have to drop the K-member, remove headers, install K-member, install clutch, remove K-member and reinstall headers.

Guest Removed
Why are you guys not hanging this from a support from up top? It is so much easier to not have to deal with the extra stuff under the car.

i told him this on the phone. i dont think he was one :p

yea, i dont have a brace or hoist, and the budget for this install is $0 lol, i just got sick of looking at the headers hanging on the wall so i figured it was time to do them since i was already removing suspension.

don't jinx me with the clutch shit lol. i'm hoping the stocker will last me through the summer, and it hasn't shown any signs of being weak, so i guess i'll cross my fingers. lol.

And yea, like i said, last time i do this with no brace or hoist. shit sucks! but i should have it buttoned back up in a bit.

A support can be made from a 4x4, Cut 2 1 foot section off of a long peice. set the short sections on the strut towers and the the long peice accross the two accross the front of the car a good sized ratchet strap over the 4x4 to two hoist points and you are good. Yes I know it is redneck but it works and is very strong