WTF just happened???????

V8 Beast

I'm driving home from Dave and Busters and my car appears to randomly power cycle and suddenly my fuel pressure is fine, my battery started recharging properly, and my bottle heater gets hot as hell again?????????? Its like I didnt spend the last 4 months replacing random parts trying to figure out whats wrong. :confused: I have to have some type of strange short or crossed wire, or possessed alternator.

And this is why I call my car Christine...

Oh, and thanks for the help today Anthony. I'm glad you got to see it before it randomly fixed itself. Otherwise people would think I'm crazy.

Edited by V8 Beast
Gearhead has a homosexual penis.

huh?

Thats what i said....

I had this strange parasitic drain/ lack of power that seemed to just disappear. It was almost like someone unplugged my battery then plugged it back in real fast. Now everything is perfectly fine????

Guest 614Streets

"kat5469,

I took it to Bob Daniels, a GMC dealer here in Columbus, Ohio.

Today, opening and closing the door didn't help. It stayed off for a few minutes, and then on/off/on interment four or five times, then stayed on.

I am in electronics and computers, so I understand how the body control module works, but I am not privy to the logic tree that GMC uses that control the unit, so it is very difficult to troubleshoot. Here is what I have compiled so far:

The power staying on for the windows, radio and convertible top are options know as the retained accessory power (RAP) option, which is controlled by the BCM. There is a single wire between the BCM and the fuse block that holds the fuses for the windows, radio and convertible top. The BCM has some type of electronics control inside (mechanical or solid-state relay) that switches between power controlled by the ignition switch (on when ignition is turned on) and a time-delayed power (10 minutes) source, the RAP.

The BCM receives inputs from the door switches and the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is on, power is in normal mode and is feed to the line to the fuses. But when the doors remain shut and the ignition key is removed (after having been on and the engine running) the BCM selects the RAP power source, which stays on for ten minutes or until the BCM receives a signal from one of the doors when they are opened. At which time the BCM switches back to the normal ignition source, which has no power because the ignition switch is off (key has been removed).

Now the strange thing is that we both are losing ALL power while the ignition switch is on, which means something in the BCM is stopping it or the wire between the BCM and the fuse block is intermittently open. I have also noticed that the radio, etc. do not stay on as designed (i.e. the RAP option) when the ignition key is removed. This is also interment, but seems to happen after the power losses have occurred while driving. I believe this adds more support to my theory that it is something inside the BCM rather then an intermittent in the wire. Something is malfunctioning within the BCM that generates no error codes, but causes a disruption of power on the down side of the control source. I am starting to gain the courage to swap the BCM out and see it that fixes it. It will cost $200, but this intermittent stuff is driving me crazy. I listen to a lot of books on CD, so it is more then just music stopping and going.

Hope you can follow all that, if not, ask me some questions and I will try to clarify. Perhaps your dealer would be more willing to listen to you or read a copy of my replay. My dealer more or less was sympathetic, but had the attitude that if it wouldn’t do it for them, then it’s not broken and there is nothing they could do.

Good luck."

Guest Removed
I just replaced mine with an OEM, new Delco-Remy replacement. I bought the last one in the city.

my supplier is showing 17 in stock. :p but they are not open and dont sell to the public:p

I'm driving home from Dave and Busters and my car appears to randomly power cycle and suddenly my fuel pressure is fine, my battery started recharging properly, and my bottle heater gets hot as hell again?????????? Its like I didnt spend the last 4 months replacing random parts trying to figure out whats wrong. :confused: I have to have some type of strange short or crossed wire, or possessed alternator... maybe my heated lubed seat dildo is shorting the system out?

And this is why I call my car Christine...cause she always fucks me real good.

Oh, and thanks for the help today Anthony. I'm glad you got to see it before it randomly fixed itself. Otherwise people would think I'm crazy.

Man,I remember going down Roberts Rd with you and this shit started happening. couldn't figure out wtf the problem was. Glad you got it figure out!

Man,I remember going down Roberts Rd with you and this shit started happening. couldn't figure out wtf the problem was. Glad you got it figure out!

That was the random timing retarding tcs issue. This is the no fuel pressure, battey not charging then suddenly its fine problem. It happened in 2007 at the Dyno, but hen I broke 3rd gear. After the rossler was installed it was gone. Then it started happening again while I was waiting in line at trails. Luckily I had a fuel cell to pick up the slack or else I would have never got my 10 second pass.