RIPS RB30 240z

Rally Pat

It seems like this car is setting new records for itself every day. I have watched this car evolve all the way from 10.1 to 7.89, all on the SAME MOTOR. Its a Stock RB30DE block and crank, with an RB26DETT head, with a really big turbo. Just a plain awesome car.

I suggest watching a lot of their other videos too.

Silly question: There's a gunshot-like sound right as the car launches. I've heard it in Supra videos as well. The only thing I can think it might be would be the wastegate dumping exhaust so the car can hook. Or am I off the mark?

Silly question: There's a gunshot-like sound right as the car launches. I've heard it in Supra videos as well. The only thing I can think it might be would be the wastegate dumping exhaust so the car can hook. Or am I off the mark?

No idea. Maybe someone like Kenny could answer this question...

No idea. Maybe someone like Kenny could answer this question...

It's the tires.

Seems as if there could still be a few tenths in that chassis. With the MPH it makes I would think it could ET a slight bit faster. Might be hard due to the short wheelbase, though.

Car gets busy, fo sho.

am I the only one who doesn't care about cars like that.. I'd rather see something street-legal going that fast instead of some parachuted metal frame with two foot wide slicks. It's cool and all, but low on the wow factor to me. I don't know..

Did you miss the whole "Car is complete street legal, with a full interior and all steel panels and glass windows on street tires?"

Did you miss the whole "Car is complete street legal, with a full interior and all steel panels and glass windows?"

Street legal, and streetable are two completely different things.

There are videos of Dan Millen's car being driven in the snow to Burger King, that doesn't make it a street car.

There are videos of Dan Millen's car being driven in the snow to Burger King, that doesn't make it a street car.

Seriously, watch the documentary link I posted. Car looks very tame on the street.

You may be referring to the two step. This is a spool up device for stick-shift cars that can't spool on a stall like auto cars can. The two step messes with the fuel and ignition timing and causes backfires, spooling up the turbo and allowing the car to leave in full boost (if I have my facts straight).

Here's an example of it:

Heh, I was just up at livernois watching that video with them!

You may be referring to the two step. This is a spool up device for stick-shift cars that can't spool on a stall like auto cars can. The two step messes with the fuel and ignition timing and causes backfires, spooling up the turbo and allowing the car to leave in full boost (if I have my facts straight).

Here's an example of it:

I'm clear on the basics of two-step. But there is a *single* gunshot sound when the car leaves. As Kenny said, it's the tires apparently. I thought it might be the wastegate because that's the only thing with enough pressure behind it that might be dumped at launch. At this level of boost I wasn't sure, so I figured there might be some fiddling with the WG and BOV to get a good launch.

However, I was way off the mark, and it's the tires. I'm surprised at that. I guess turbos muffle the exhaust enough so you can hear it, which would explain why I've only heard it on various Supra vids.

That's cool, not knocking it, I'll never own anything that fast, just saying I'd rather see a 7-second foxbody or something able to go down the street to mcdonalds and back.

im with you. IMHO, thats as much of a 240z as this is a cobalt

http://www.teamjegs.com/images/bio_john_img2.jpg

That's cool, not knocking it, I'll never own anything that fast, just saying I'd rather see a 7-second foxbody or something able to go down the street to mcdonalds and back.

At that level, the cars that run that fast and are driven on the street don't last very long.

The guy that built the last Regal I had has since moved on from V6s to an SB2.2 94mm powered Regal that has been 7.77, it ran that for about a year, now he's moving a lot of weight out of the front to be competitive. In doing so, he's also ditching the radiator so it won't be able to make much of a drive on the street. The car will still have tags and insurance, but it won't be able to be driven as it used to be.

That said, there is no such thing as a tame 7 second car.

I'm clear on the basics of two-step. But there is a *single* gunshot sound when the car leaves. As Kenny said, it's the tires apparently. I thought it might be the wastegate because that's the only thing with enough pressure behind it that might be dumped at launch. At this level of boost I wasn't sure, so I figured there might be some fiddling with the WG and BOV to get a good launch.

However, I was way off the mark, and it's the tires. I'm surprised at that. I guess turbos muffle the exhaust enough so you can hear it, which would explain why I've only heard it on various Supra vids.

It's not just turbo cars you can hear it on, I have an AWESOME video of a Mustang leaving hard as crap on my desktop I wish I could upload. I really need to grab that box of parts from my parents. :lol:

If you think the sound is awesome from the outside of the car, you should hear/feel it from the inside - you know you're on your way to a good pass when you hear that. :D