G8 GXP

GilbWs6

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may perform admirably but IMO it still looks a bit dated and in some ways cheap compared to other cars in that price range. Just because GM puts thier 400hp motor in the car they jack the price and if it's like the GT when I looked at it, dealers then try and tack on extra costs because it's so "rare" :bs:

$40k plus for a car that will likely depreciate like a rock when you can opt of a very low mile car that performs and holds value isn't going to help GM win over too many people. I know I rarely see a G8 on the road, so that tells me the public isn't buying into it.

Overall, I think GM is a little to proud of what they have given today's climate.

If you think it's just a bigger motor you know nothing about the car.

LS3 + Brembo's + the only manual transmission available in a G8 + different suspension + other misc. stuff

Bottom line is, for $40k you could get a G8 GXP or a loaded Toyota Venza. Which would you choose?

gilbert - because of new federal reg's all cars will be coming with ABS and ESC standard by 2012.

I know the car well. Seriously looked at the GT and was considering the GXP. Kept my original reply simple is all.

LS3 + Brembo's + the only manual transmission available in a G8 + different suspension + other misc. stuff

Bottom line is, for $40k you could get a G8 GXP or a loaded Toyota Venza. Which would you choose?

gilbert - because of new federal reg's all cars will be coming with ABS and ESC standard by 2012.

Right, because a Venza is a good comparison to the GXP...:gtfo:

How about the 335, RS4, M3, CTS-V, C55, E55 etc. Pick up a low mileage CPO 1 year old model of any of those for the price of a GXP or CHEAPER and you get as good of a warranty or BETTER, a much nicer car interior wise, and you wont be paying for the ridiculous depreciation that is GM.

How about the 335, RS4, M3, CTS-V, C55, E55 etc. Pick up a low mileage CPO 1 year old model of any of those for the price of a GXP or CHEAPER and you get as good of a warranty or BETTER, a much nicer car interior wise, and you wont be paying for the ridiculous depreciation that is GM.

My wife was out this weekend looking at some 2006 CLS500's. She misses her last MBZ and the 500's are a bad ass ride for someone looking at a 4 door sport sedan with coupe styling. The C55 is hot too.

Different cars yes, used yes, but in the end and in Today's market a used MBZ with less than 30k on the ODO is pretty much like new. Especially when compared to the domestics. Times chanage and buying new Domestics has never been a smart move from a cashflow standpoint.

My wife was out this weekend looking at some 2006 CLS500's. She misses her last MBZ and the 500's are a bad ass ride for someone looking at a 4 door sport sedan with coupe styling. The C55 is hot too.

Different cars yes, used yes, but in the end and in Today's market a used MBZ with less than 30k on the ODO is pretty much like new. Especially when compared to the domestics. Times chanage and buying new Domestics has never been a smart move from a cashflow standpoint.

exactly my point.

Unless she's in love with the CLS shape the "regular" C and E series cars will be a better value. The CLS isn't loosing value quite like the others.

She had an E-Series already and loves the curves of the CLS. I'm sure you understand when it's "her call" my opinion is just that :o

Not sure if she's going to do it. It's early in her looking stage. We have the van now and will likely keep it too so she's not hurting for a car other than in the ego dept. :D

Not sure if she's going to do it. It's early in her looking stage. We have the van now and will likely keep it too so she's not hurting for a car other than in the ego dept. :D

They are really nice cars. I've driven a bunch. Be careful though, as to me they seem to become rattle traps after a while. Don't know why, but I've never experience car after car like that with different rattles.

sorry mal, this is the winnar right here. and honestly, after owning a gto, the interior of the G* is weak. the dials and stuff, way nicer, but the seats and upholstry are SO cheap. i loved my gto, and i really had hoped that the g8 would be everything that my gto wasnt, but, it isnt.

sorry mal, this is the winnar right here. and honestly, after owning a gto, the interior of the G* is weak. the dials and stuff, way nicer, but the seats and upholstry are SO cheap. i loved my gto, and i really had hoped that the g8 would be everything that my gto wasnt, but, it isnt.

IE: Why I have bought so many CPO'd Audi's in the past few years. The value is unbeatable when you factory in the 100,000 mile warranty. As well as the level of service you receive is fantastic.

For 40K I am within a 3-5 grand of a CPO'd 15-25K mile 420hp RS4 that is warrantied for 100k. I'd have to be a raving idiot not to buy the RS4.

What's that you want a bigger car? In the same range is a CPO'd S6 with a 450HP V10.

This is the just the Audi side of the house. Similiar experiences can be hand from MB/BMW as well. I'll probably never buy a new car again. I have no problem waiting a 1-3 years and buy it for 50% of new and having twice the warranty of the new car.

interesting. i was considering looking at GXP's and trading the goat in on one. i think i'll just buy a vette instead, and keep the goat for a daily driver--its way too comfortable, and i haven't had a single problem in almost 2 years of owning it.

interesting. i was considering looking at GXP's and trading the goat in on one. i think i'll just buy a vette instead, and keep the goat for a daily driver--its way too comfortable, and i haven't had a single problem in almost 2 years of owning it.

Go Go Gadget GTO! ;)

Great cars....I really liked DJ's and the seats were just magical.

You can't compare used car prices to new car prices. Why should GM sell a car that outperforms most of what's out there for a fraction the cost of a used car?! It doesn't make sense and they can't do it financially anyway.

My point with the Venza was that everyone here seems to think that $40k is too much for a car with that level of performace and hardware. If $40k is too much for a ~435 HP, RWD, Manual, Brembo brakes, and all the options on a large sedan, then what do you call that rolling vagina wagon? You could spend $40k on the top level BMW 1 Series and you guys are bitching about this?! Cars cost money. You can buy the V6 or a GT for under $30k, this is just the top trim level.

You can't compare used car prices to new car prices. Why should GM sell a car that outperforms most of what's out there for a fraction the cost of a used car?! It doesn't make sense and they can't do it financially anyway.

I think in this situation you can as there's no G8 GXP's in the used market yet. So if you're looking at one, then new is your only option and the price point of $40ish has already been established.

12 months down the road when you can snag a G8 GXP for $25-30k in the used market there's a much stronger argument for the car as the price point will be drastically different.

Andy

My point with the Venza was that everyone here seems to think that $40k is too much for a car with that level of performace and hardware. If $40k is too much for a ~435 HP, RWD, Manual, Brembo brakes, and all the options on a large sedan, then what do you call that rolling vagina wagon? You could spend $40k on the top level BMW 1 Series and you guys are bitching about this?! Cars cost money. You can buy the V6 or a GT for under $30k, this is just the top trim level.

When you shop for a car, how do you do it? Do you look at only NEW cars? do you shop by price? by brand? by performance? etc...

I certainly can compare used with new car prices. I am spending MY money on a car. When I shop for a car, I do it by price. If I can spend a maximum of $xx,xxx for a car, I go out and find EVERY car (New, used, warranty, no warranty, 2dr, 4dr, suv, pickup) that intrigues me and put it on a list. I weigh the + and - of every car depending on its age, performance, depreciation, warranty, practicality, cost etc. I then buy the car that I like the BEST based on all of those factors. However the main basis for compiling the list is PRICE. Nobody goes out and compares cars based on any 1 attribute alone whether its price, age, performance etc. A CPO 2007 RS4 will have 4 years and at least 70k of warranty left. It will perform as good as or better than the GXP. It is also capable of being driven in 12" of snow, something no GXP will be able to do. Add to that the prestige, interior materials, fit/finish and all weather versatility and there really is no comparing the 2 FOR ME.

That is exactly why there isn't 1 car model made in the world. You seem to like domestic products, I tend to like German (especially Audi/VW). Because both VW and GM exist, we are both able to buy a car we like.

I think in this situation you can as there's no G8 GXP's in the used market yet. So if you're looking at one, then new is your only option and the price point of $40ish has already been established.

12 months down the road when you can snag a G8 GXP for $25-30k in the used market there's a much stronger argument for the car as the price point will be drastically different.

Andy

Exactly.

When you shop for a car, how do you do it? Do you look at only NEW cars? do you shop by price? by brand? by performance? etc...

I certainly can compare used with new car prices. I am spending MY money on a car. When I shop for a car, I do it by price. If I can spend a maximum of $xx,xxx for a car, I go out and find EVERY car (New, used, warranty, no warranty, 2dr, 4dr, suv, pickup) that intrigues me and put it on a list. I weigh the + and - of every car depending on its age, performance, depreciation, warranty, practicality, cost etc. I then buy the car that I like the BEST based on all of those factors. However the main basis for compiling the list is PRICE. Nobody goes out and compares cars based on any 1 attribute alone whether its price, age, performance etc. A CPO 2007 RS4 will have 4 years and at least 70k of warranty left. It will perform as good as or better than the GXP. It is also capable of being driven in 12" of snow, something no GXP will be able to do. Add to that the prestige, interior materials, fit/finish and all weather versatility and there really is no comparing the 2 FOR ME.

That is exactly why there isn't 1 car model made in the world. You seem to like domestic products, I tend to like German (especially Audi/VW). Because both VW and GM exist, we are both able to buy a car we like.

Exactly.

+1

Nobody is really hating that much on the GXP, hell it the the first positive step in a long time. Everybody has different tastes, and different idea's of what they want for their money.

The closer GM gets to being serious competition, the better it is for everybody. I say bring it on. :cool:

Exactly.

I don't have a problem with how you and anyone else shops for a car. I like all cars, no matter what company makes it. But I do not like when people judge the domestics by bogus stardards. They should all be compared on a level playing field. My only gripe was with the few people that said, "Bah, that's way over priced!" It's not over priced. In fact, it's 'in the box' when compared to other NEW cars in the segment. Compared to some cars it's still a performance bargain.

What you're saying is "A new RS4 is extremely overpriced and has depreciated to the level of this car's MSRP. I would prefer to have the RS4." And there's no problem with that.

My co-worker is looking at 3 year old Mercedes SL500's that are in the same price range. That's a 3 year old car that stickered for $105k and is going for ~$35-40k used. And you guys talk about GM depreciation!

I think we're all on the same page here. Personally, I can appreiciate the value that the G8 GXP represents even when priced as new and like I said earlier when we get a few in the used market 12 months or so from now the value will be that much more in the G8's favor. They'll be hard to overlook at that point.

I don't have a problem with how you and anyone else shops for a car. I like all cars, no matter what company makes it. But I do not like when people judge the domestics by bogus stardards. They should all be compared on a level playing field. My only gripe was with the few people that said, "Bah, that's way over priced!" It's not over priced. In fact, it's 'in the box' when compared to other NEW cars in the segment. Compared to some cars it's still a performance bargain.

What you're saying is "A new RS4 is extremely overpriced and has depreciated to the level of this car's MSRP. I would prefer to have the RS4." And there's no problem with that.

My co-worker is looking at 3 year old Mercedes SL500's that are in the same price range. That's a 3 year old car that stickered for $105k and is going for ~$35-40k used. And you guys talk about GM depreciation!

IE: Why I have bought so many CPO'd Audi's in the past few years. The value is unbeatable when you factory in the 100,000 mile warranty. As well as the level of service you receive is fantastic.

For 40K I am within a 3-5 grand of a CPO'd 15-25K mile 420hp RS4 that is warrantied for 100k. I'd have to be a raving idiot not to buy the RS4.

What's that you want a bigger car? In the same range is a CPO'd S6 with a 450HP V10.

This is the just the Audi side of the house. Similiar experiences can be hand from MB/BMW as well. I'll probably never buy a new car again. I have no problem waiting a 1-3 years and buy it for 50% of new and having twice the warranty of the new car.

Im so glad someone pointed this out, because i agree 100%. i will never buy a domestic car unless its a truck, but never for daily use/style/performance. I think the RS4 is my next car, you cant beat that mix of performance, style, leather, everything really.

let me clarify why, because there is in exclusivity in owning a car that everyone and the grandma has, i dont know, its just not as exciting for me. It would rape my STi, but i still think that GXP is one hell of a deal for what it has, just wait, people wont be buying them until the prices come down. I LOVE the electric blue color on the G8, just wow.

I agree that we are all trying to argue a similar view of all of these cars.

Audi's do not have the best resale value either. That is why I am not here saying that I wish I would have bought a new RS4. After 2-2.5 years, the RS4 is about 50% value.

There are cars that do hold their value well. The 2004 R32 would have been a fantastic car to buy NEW, drive for 4 years and sell for 18-25k depending on mileage and condition. Also, the Acura TL holds its value extremely well also.

With the current domestic auto climate, spending 40k on a car NEW domestic car is not a smart decision. Especially when you will be able to pick one up in 6mo-1yr for 50-60% of new price. And when you add on top of it the fact that buying a Certified used car comes with a warranty that would cost almost 3x to buy when buying the car new, or after owning the car.

I guess it is just a general "buy used" point I am trying to make, that is compounded by the fact that consumers don't have a lot of confidence in GM/Ford/Chrysler.

Hyundai has become a great car manufacturer by producing high content cars with a great warranty at a great price. GM is slowly turning up the content of their cars, adding a good, yet pricing their cars too high.

Its not rocket science, people buy a good value.

I just hope that the domestic dealers get a wake up call on how they treat their current customers, and potential customers.

Killing the demand for the GT by adding 5-10k markups was retarded. Hopefully they don't do this for the GXP, and hopefully they drop the elitist attitude that seems to accompany the domestic performance cars.

Go into a Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes dealer and you will be behind the wheel of the 911/S/M/AMG cars within a half hour, manytimes without the salesman.

Just got our first G8 GXP at work (Dan Tobin) tonight. It is absolutely amazing. Slam you back in your seat acceleration with silky smooth shifts from the M6. The Brembo calipers are almost as big as your head. I can't stress how smooth it is for a 400+ HP car. Almost makes me want to wait to buy one and save the extra $6,000 over the GT.

How long have you worked there? I have purchased 3 cars from them in the last 5 years and stop in every few months to chat with the guys in service. I heart Dan Tobin...